• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2021 General Discussion

Hoosier

For much of the last week the Thursday system looked like the first chance of real thunderstorm action this year, possibly severe.  That's still true from Nebraska into northern Missouri, but up here I'm now just hoping some decent rain holds together as the storms dive well south.

Obviously referring to a statewide event but up until last night this was true - “Chris Vagasky, meteorologist with Vaisala, was able to mine the lightning data for us, and show us exactly when our last widespread thunderstorm day was for Michiganders. It’s been 311 days since all of Michigan had a significant thunderstorm day.”

9 hours ago, WestMichigan said:

Waiting for @frostfern to respond, but it finally rained in the GRR area.  I am at 1.02" and still some light rain in the area.  Not sure there is a drop of water standing anywhere though.  It all soaked in pretty quickly.

A good 1.2" of rain fell IMBY.  Need to check if there is any water in the turtle-pond now.  It was just mud yesterday.

5 hours ago, WestMichigan said:

Obviously referring to a statewide event but up until last night this was true - “Chris Vagasky, meteorologist with Vaisala, was able to mine the lightning data for us, and show us exactly when our last widespread thunderstorm day was for Michiganders. It’s been 311 days since all of Michigan had a significant thunderstorm day.”

Don't think last night can be classified as "statewide".  Last time I heard thunder was April 10.  The downpour last night was loud enough to wake me up, but rain is all I heard.  Could have been a rumble or two that I didn't hear, but it certainly wasn't "significant".  What limited lighting there was was almost exclusively north and west of GRR.

18 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Would be very impressive to see temps like this at peak heating.

sfct.us_mw-1.thumb.png.d7e04e3cd55358bd85d8a944e135fca0.png

Meanwhile on Saturday and Sunday, according to today's 12z GFS:

Around 50 on Saturday: sfct.us_ov.png

Around 60 on Sunday:
sfct.us_ov.png

If both Friday and Saturday are going to be overcast, may as well be the case for the entire weekend.

Chilly Memorial Day weekends can be a sign of a cold summer ahead.

• Sad 1