• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April Banter 2021

George BM

Amelia Draper on WTOP: “a quick taste of winter”. Gimme a f-cking break. This sort of crap drives me nuts. On-air mets have to be better about communicating what is NORMAL to the public. Next week will almost certainly post bigger departures from normal than tomorrow, but because it’s warm, no one will notice. 55F highs in April are way closer to normal than 80F!! This is one reason the public doesn’t understand climate and climate change.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Got a good hike in on Old Rag today. Pretty windy and got chilly towards the end, but a much better day than I had anticipated. They’ve opened the new parking area and made a trail spur to keep people from walking on the narrow road. Finished the hike by stopping in at Copper Fox where they had a fire going in the wood stove and plenty of warming spirits.

image.jpeg.ac609fe7a0b9025b48906fc2951d0f69.jpeg

• Like 13

11 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Got a good hike in on Old Rag today. Pretty windy and got chilly towards the end, but a much better day than I had anticipated. They’ve opened the new parking area and made a trail spur to keep people from walking on the narrow road. Finished the hike by stopping in at Copper Fox where they had a fire going in the wood stove and plenty of warming spirits.

Beautiful pic...I'm jealous, I've been jonesing to get out hiking like that again! BTW, is that snow falling on the mountain or just distant haze, in the left-center of your picture?

14 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

image.jpeg.ac609fe7a0b9025b48906fc2951d0f69.jpeg

that name rings a bell...is there a stone arch/tunnel-thing along the trail somewhere? i think i may have camped and hiked this mountain when i was a kid

13 minutes ago, mappy said:

Do you do GIS? 

I have a Bachelors degree from Towson in Geography and environmental planning. Back in 2018 I took a contractual job with MD Dept of Natural resources doing state trail GPS'ing and making maps off that data in ARC GIS.  My boss promised me he would get me in full time permanent but HR said I didnt have enough experience for the job posting that they posted after my contract was up...It was a real bummer. I havent had luck getting into the field since

2 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

I have a Bachelors degree from Towson in Geography and environmental planning. Back in 2018 I took a contractual job with MD Dept of Natural resources doing state trail GPS'ing and making maps off that data in ARC GIS.  My boss promised me he would get me in full time permanent but HR said I didnt have enough experience for the job posting that they posted after my contract was up...It was a real bummer. I havent had luck getting into the field since

I may be able to help. I'll send you a message. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

Beautiful pic...I'm jealous, I've been jonesing to get out hiking like that again! BTW, is that snow falling on the mountain or just distant haze, in the left-center of your picture?

Thanks.  It was an awesome day.  I've done Old Rag many times and it never gets old or boring, though I like to get out early before the crowds.  And no, I don't think that's snow.  It was still earlier in the day before the cold air really arrived.  There was some haze or smoke in the area that made for some great photos.

1 hour ago, MacChump said:

that name rings a bell...is there a stone arch/tunnel-thing along the trail somewhere? i think i may have camped and hiked this mountain when i was a kid

I'm just guessing but I'll bet it's the the same hike you've done because it's so popular.  There are a few sections that you have to wriggle your way through including this one.  I'm not sure about this, but I think that rock that's pictured fell (or got pushed) and got wedged during my lifetime. I need to go back and look at my old prints from when I was a teenager!

image.png.d799a458f4c14f9178a2b723bfcb7179.png

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

Nope, I am NOT a good 'presenter/crowd type person', I'd need that to get thru likely! Good luck!

I'm glad its virtual. I don't need to be on camera and can read through my notes instead of having to memorize them, hopefully that helps.

Thank you!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Thanks.  It was an awesome day.  I've done Old Rag many times and it never gets old or boring, though I like to get out early before the crowds.  And no, I don't think that's snow.  It was still earlier in the day before the cold air really arrived.  There was some haze or smoke in the area that made for some great photos.

I'm just guessing but I'll bet it's the the same hike you've done because it's so popular.  There are a few sections that you have to wriggle your way through including this one.  I'm not sure about this, but I think that rock that's pictured fell (or got pushed) and got wedged during my lifetime. I need to go back and look at my old prints from when I was a teenager!

image.png.d799a458f4c14f9178a2b723bfcb7179.png

yup, that's it...thanks for the pic...i have a recollection of having to crawl under something so the rock may have been there back in the mid-late eighties...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MacChump said:

yup, that's it...thanks for the pic...i have a recollection of having to crawl under something so the rock may have been there back in the mid-late eighties...

so you have been between a rock and a hard place?  Lucky

• Haha 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic