Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2021 Discussion

Torch Tiger

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

I brought a pretty serious curse with me, I'm afraid.

Nah, 2015-2016 was the big stinker up there. This year was a lot better than that year. This year just had an absurdly weak end to the year but at least most of the mid-winter months were pretty decent for skiers. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah man, it’s something special out there.  I posted that graph yesterday with the relevant data and it got 10,000 views.  It’s been big news.

Lowest depth since records started in 1954 at an unbiased consistent measurement of a piece of wood strapped to a tree, ha.  Science.

Crazy . Covid last year and a Stein winter followed by a torch spring. It all balances out though. You’d think you guys due for a long couple of seasons 

12 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Crazy . Covid last year and a Stein winter followed by a torch spring. It all balances out though. You’d think you guys due for a long couple of seasons 

The interesting thing is "are we due"?  We've had some real high end clunkers, but we've also had some real high end seasons.  It seems lately that it's all or nothing.

You have 2015-16... only 156" of snowfall at the High Road Stake.  It's followed up by 375" at that location the next year 2016-17.  It snowed every day.  108" in a 3 week span I think it was during January into mid-February.

Two years ago in 2018-19 was one of the most prolific snow depth days season on record.  The snowpack was incredible, all season long.  November 2018 was huge and the winter never looked back.  Now two years later we are looking at the lowest spring snow depth on record.  It has truly been all or nothing over the past 6 years it seems.  Whatever new regime we are in, it likes to either go big or small, no in between.

Two years ago from this date there was more than 100 inches of extra snow on the ground at that site. 

1910542584_2021vs2019.thumb.jpg.af6773ad8c95e822dd1baf6ce9881acf.jpg

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

The interesting thing is "are we due"?  We've had some real high end clunkers, but we've also had some real high end seasons.  It seems lately that it's all or nothing.

You have 2015-16... only 156" of snowfall at the High Road Stake.  It's followed up by 375" at that location the next year 2016-17.  It snowed every day.  108" in a 3 week span I think it was during January into mid-February.

Two years ago in 2018-19 was one of the most prolific snow depth days season on record.  The snowpack was incredible, all season long.  November 2018 was huge and the winter never looked back.  Now two years later we are looking at the lowest spring snow depth on record.  It has truly been all or nothing over the past 6 years it seems.  Whatever new regime we are in, it likes to either go big or small, no in between.

Two years ago from this date there was more than 100 inches of extra snow on the ground at that site. 

108” in 3 weeks? Pew pew....2015 says hi. :lol: 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Two years ago in 2018-19 was one of the most prolific snow depth days season on record.  The snowpack was incredible, all season long.  November 2018 was huge and the winter never looked back.

Now two years later we are looking at the lowest spring snow depth on record.  It has truly been all or nothing over the past 6 years it seems.  Whatever new regime we are in, it likes to either go big or small, no in between.

When you send out your year end wrap up to the owners, season pass holders, stock holders etc.. do you explain the region got hit by Stein this season? Like just in your summary as you’re going over highs, lows, final wrap etc.. would you just say “ and Stein got us this year” and then move on to the next point? I think most of them would understand it was a tangled web of hands and feet right?

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Nah, 2015-2016 was the big stinker up there. This year was a lot better than that year. This year just had an absurdly weak end to the year but at least most of the mid-winter months were pretty decent for skiers. 

I was definitely getting some pushback from people who strongly argued March and April were good snow months this season... it's all good. 

25 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

When you send out your year end wrap up to the owners, season pass holders, stock holders etc.. do you explain the region got hit by Stein this season? Like just in your summary as you’re going over highs, lows, final wrap etc.. would you just say “ and Stein got us this year” and then move on to the next point? I think most of them would understand it was a tangled web of hands and feet right?

Year end summary comes with a diagram of a webbed hand catching all moisture.  Also a photo of the picnic tables drying out in low RH values, curling paint waiting for a storm.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I was definitely getting some pushback from people who strongly argued March and April were good snow months this season... it's all good. 

You panicked too early for sure, climo says those months will come through more often than not. Still might have a couple snow events in the tank looking at the models.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

You panicked too early for sure, climo says those months will come through more often than not. Still might have a couple snow events in the tank looking at the models.

There may be a couple more , but the last 5 weeks must be one of the worst on record for collective snowfall across the entire NNE elevated area for the period .

I mean most of this Board is in SNE , so they may not take much notice / care 

On 3/28/2021 at 12:21 PM, Damage In Tolland said:

There’s zero reason to cancel Napril and think cold , cloudy and wet. Wolf always tells us things change and what looks like one thing ends up another. 2 weeks away. Lots can and will change. Bark at the Moon 

On 3/30/2021 at 7:58 AM, Damage In Tolland said:

Just let Scoots downplay what overall looks like a mild dry pattern. It’s a rite of spring 

On 3/31/2021 at 6:47 AM, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Hatepril in NewEng....chilly and damp. 

On 3/31/2021 at 7:15 AM, CoastalWx said:

We have been trying to tell them.

On 3/31/2021 at 7:59 PM, Damage In Tolland said:

Put models away man. It’s not a cold wet pattern. At some point you d got to man up and enjoy warm sunny weather . I think your issue is you are a 3rd shifter and are up all night and want rain and dark to sleep . The world doesn’t work that way and thankfully neither does our weather. We sunny and warm and then hot as seasons progress

On 4/2/2021 at 11:57 AM, Damage In Tolland said:

Cloudy and 25.8. Brutal 

On 4/3/2021 at 7:01 PM, Ginx snewx said:

What happens when a mega block breaks down historically?.  Watch next weekend.

On 4/6/2021 at 2:10 PM, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Enjoy these nice days because the LR looks pretty beat. 

On 4/6/2021 at 3:41 PM, Ginx snewx said:

Enjoy this week. Kiss persistence goodbye. Again,what happens when a block retrogrades

On 4/6/2021 at 4:02 PM, Damage In Tolland said:

Unlikely. Can envision a Crap day here and there, but that he’ll block is west meaning ugliness mainly over the lakes and MW. There’ll be a bunch of days like this week as well 

On 4/6/2021 at 5:10 PM, Damage In Tolland said:

Sell. Not gonna happen like modeled . Listen to Tip. Dudes been on fire 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

^^^^^

Best Contrarian indicator is when the

KFS digs in

It's coming and its focus is def not eastern mass. 

I disagree. I agree that western and Central Mass are going to get more, but Eastern Mass is good for at least a foot or so, probably more. This is a big storm and despite the calendar, there appears to be plenty of cold air as well, that’s why I am going so aggressive.

• Weenie 4

Euro is a nice hit for the Monads, Berks, and Mitch. 925 low goes a bit inland over CT but eventually flips to SN over much of MA as the system slowly slides east. Still not feeling anything big here...diff story from Gene down to the Monads and N ORH county though. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Euro is a nice hit for the Monads, Berks, and Mitch. 925 low goes a bit inland over CT but eventually flips to SN over much of MA as the system slowly slides east. Still not feeling anything big here...diff story from Gene down to the Monads and N ORH county though. 

Yeah I’d say this is more nrn ORH and north. Tucks in a little too close south of pike I think, but could end as snow. Those Ptype maps show snow where DGZ dries out and I think it’s going to be tough to snow where that happens. 

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah I’d say this is more nrn ORH and north. Tucks in a little too close south of pike I think, but could end as snow. Those Ptype maps show snow where DGZ dries out and I think it’s going to be tough to snow where that happens. 

IDK, I think Union/Stafford north into ORH could do ok

8 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Love this transparent snowstick in Austrian Vorarlberg. All natural as they are getting hammered this spring. @PhineasC needs this, roughly 60 inches OTG

Screenshot_20210413-054127_Chrome.jpg

• Like 3

I love the feature on Pivotal where it shows the clown snowfall to the precise Lat Long point but it may be a bit amiss (obviously) on the 00Z UKMET.  It gives 10" to 43.75°N 72.36°W  but 0" to 43.75°N 72.40°W.  10' over .02 degrees would be one heck of a cutoff and there isn't a huge elevation change going on.

Yeah yeah all the caveats about 3 day clown maps, it is still fun.

https://www.pivotalweather.com/model.php?m=ukmet&p=sn10_acc&rh=2021041300&fh=114&r=us_ne&dpdt=&mc=

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Love this transparent snowstick in Austrian Vorarlberg. All natural as they are getting hammered this spring. @PhineasC needs this, roughly 60 inches OTG

That's sweet.  I do think his spot is going to do really well in this event if it can lift far enough north.  That whole area of the southeast/east/northeast side of the Presidentials if they can get into the deeper moisture.  The east flow is there.  Models seemed to tick northward a bit overnight.

8 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

There may be a couple more , but the last 5 weeks must be one of the worst on record for collective snowfall across the entire NNE elevated area for the period .

I mean most of this Board is in SNE , so they may not take much notice / care 

Without a doubt.  But sitting in February I'm still riding climo that it won't be a shut out.  I'd do it again next year too, ha.  Law of averages.

Now watch the elevated terrain will get back-to-back snowfalls, ha.  There looks to be a few chances.  We will pay the piper for the nice early summer weather we've been having.

• Like 1