Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2021 Discussion

Torch Tiger

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Lowest recorded snowpack at the Picnic Tables for April 11 since observations began in 1954. 

19" today and old record was 20" in 1957.  The long term average would be over 4 feet more snow on the mountain!

Today was the 3rd straight day of setting both the daily record max and the record high minimum.  Even the night's up there have been 10 degrees above the normal high temp.

What an absolute torch.  Third week of June climo for 4 four days now.  Last time the summit sniffed freezing was 6 days ago, despite an average low of 21F.

172243450_6078527758839326_2740697370680

Amazing stuff.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Sneaky shit year up there. 

March was extremely pathetic for NNE. For SNE too but it really sticks out how bad it was up north. That’s usually a pretty big snow month. 

Sneaky is a good way to call it... most skiers still comment on the 6-week period of no rain with steady gains in snowpack during the heart of winter.  I think lower elevations especially looked "stacked" with good pillows forming on everything.

Everyone knew it was a bit below average but the gains were steady and keeping up with climo, for many weeks.  It wasn't gaining, but it wasn't losing and it always felt like one solid event away from getting to normal.  And you knew that it just would take a favorable pattern (like we've seen many times) to jack the snowpack up above normal.  So through March 1st at least, this winter still held quite a bit of promise.  It could turn on a dime.  The thing is it turned the wrong way.

April_10_MansfieldStakeB.thumb.png.ad4a61005379e9bd072d081702427c61.png

This is mid-May type upper elevation snowpack experienced today.

172459865_10104508486972830_313629490942

• Like 2

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Lowest recorded snowpack at the Picnic Tables for April 11 since observations began in 1954. 

19" today and old record was 20" in 1957.  The long term average would be over 4 feet more snow on the mountain!

Today was the 3rd straight day of setting both the daily record max and the record high minimum.  Even the night's up there have been 10 degrees above the normal high temp.

What an absolute torch.  Third week of June climo for 4 four days now.  Last time the summit sniffed freezing was 6 days ago, despite an average low of 21F.

172243450_6078527758839326_2740697370680

The summer of 1957 was very dry, too. From the "feast" of summer, 55 (Connie and Diane) to the severe drought famine in the summer of 57.

8 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That Typhoon in the Indian Ocean will have a say in changing the look on modeling after the 20th. What looks cold and troughy nationwide will change quite a bit over the coming days. Last 5-10 days of month may end up warm on EC

Yeah I mean 70's and 80's. Summer. We already had it

Just now, kdxken said:

Yeah I'm doubting those 8 to 10 amounts for my area. Probably more like 4 to 6...

It should be mostly 0.0” outside of the Berks. lol

It’s all during the day with 2m temps in the U30s and even the ptype algorithm is a mix throughout. But hey, clowns look prettier in mid April with 10:1. 

19 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

lol like anyone takes any model output verbatim.  Shit they can't even get precip or temps right 4 days out. Sad times

:weenie:

I’m trying to figure out how the kuchie can be as high as the 10:1 given the 2m. 925 is basically around -1C with +2 to +3C at the sfc. 

It doesn’t really matter....looks raw and miserable for a bit either way whether snow mixes in or not.

Just now, dendrite said:

:weenie:

I’m trying to figure out how the kuchie can be as high as the 10:1 given the 2m. 925 is basically around -1C with +2 to +3C at the sfc. 

It doesn’t really matter....looks raw and miserable for a bit either way whether snow mixes in or not.

That's a nice firehose look for the 1K hills around ORH.