Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

People getting rich on stocks or crypto don’t hang out on weather forums talking about their strategies. 

So where are they? Because this forum has a heavy male skew, probably has a higher median income than society at large, and has a wide range of ages... The reality of the situation is that most “traders” over the past year have made some nice money, but only a fraction of those have made life-changing money, so the self-made retail fat cats that you refer to are few and far between and are certainly not representative of a generation at large like you seem to think.

Provide me evidence that a significant portion of this generation’s best and brightest are day trading as a career. You can’t. 

16 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

People getting rich on stocks or crypto don’t hang out on weather forums talking about their strategies. 

Why not? If the weather is their hobby that’s what they’re going to do.

I don’t know many super rich people but two that I do know,  through circumstance, collect pinball machines and hang out on pinball forums all the time.

you can find most traders on twitter.. most good ones go private as they are big enough to move the market.. I follow a couple that would announce their bio trades and would move the stock.. crazy.  Allot of them try to make more $ by doing their own chat rooms, web site.. most of them suck.. I only know of maybe 10-15 day traders in bios that have made it.. most leave or burn out.

If you read this thread it’s almost shocking that any of you under the age of 30-35 could possibly be a hard worker, ha.

A time honored tradition where older generations think younger generations are full of flaws.  Things change, circumstances change... the blame game goes way back, I remember decades ago my now 98 year old grandfather thought my parents generation was worthless and weak because they had so many conveniences and didn’t come of age during a Great Depression.  Life was extremely easy for you he always said about Boomers and Gen X... now boomers say it about millennials.  I’m sure in 20-30 years we’ll be talking about how useless the Gen Z crew is.

It goes on and on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

About 340 Americans under the age of 18 have died "with" COVID so far.

There is a lot of controversy around how many people have died as a direct result of the vaccines, but it seems at least as high as that by all accounts. 

I just don't see any rationale for injecting kids with a vaccine that is under Emergency Use Authorization at this time, given the stats and risk profile.

My kids are not old enough to choose this themselves, but maybe it is different for older kids. Pretty sure I wouldn't allow a 16 year old to make that call either, though.

Vax the adults all day, no issues there. 

As of mid April of the 75,000,000 people who had been vaccinated, 5,800 had gotten Covid, and 74 had died as per the CDC.  That is dying by Covid.  I have not seen data for deaths attributed to the vaccine itself, but if we are now at 150,000,000+ having been at least partially vaccinated and 340 have died from that, well, that's pretty low. I can't find reliable data, so I will trust your numbers.

On the other hand 1.5 million children (edit... as of early May 3.6 million) have gotten Covid, and 340 have died as per your numbers Edit - WSJ reports 279 deaths, so even lower. (I will trust them). Very low chance of kids dying from the 'vid, but probably much lower chances of them dying from the vaccine.  It is obviously way too early to tell if there will be any long lasting affects from vaccinating children with a new vaccine. 

The physicians and microbiologists seem to feel the odds are very low... they could be wrong.

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

If you read this thread it’s almost shocking that any of you under the age of 30-35 could possibly be a hard worker, ha.

A time honored tradition where older generations think younger generations are full of flaws.  Things change, circumstances change... the blame game goes way back, I remember decades ago my now 98 year old grandfather thought my parents generation was worthless and weak because they had so many conveniences and didn’t come of age during a Great Depression.  Life was extremely easy for you he always said about Boomers and Gen X... now boomers say it about millennials.  I’m sure in 20-30 years we’ll be talking about how useless the Gen Z crew is.

It goes on and on.

All I know is that if your kids are playing with anything other than this, you're a bad parent!

image.jpeg.a28ca5c03f021ad69fda5d417302ae4d.jpeg

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

If Millennials can make money playing video games and trading doggy coins, then why are they even still complaining about the job market or college costs? Just ride that shitcoin to the moon, son.

well...goes without ranting but ... yeah, reality check needed - and probably ...destined.  Given time and the inevitable Carrington Event... or any in some real natural global normalizing catastrophes ...asteroid whatever, beyond this media made mordancy we just fled through ...  Truth be told - wee bad correction events need to strike unfortunately, because we lack the built in instinctual discipline - so some hypothesis borrowing there..

Lot of bitch words there but the fact of the matter is, they can do the bold above BECAUSE the rest of us provide a framework in which that faux value-trade system can carry on.  Remove the 'BECAUSE' scaffolding, the electrons stop moving on that enterprise and then not only do you have an entire 2.5 generations of bewildered entitled douchies ...they're basically e-zombies with no skills.

17 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

As of mid April of the 75,000,000 people who had been vaccinated, 5,800 had gotten Covid, and 74 had died as per the CDC.  That is dying by Covid.  I have not seen data for deaths attributed to the vaccine itself, but if we are now at 150,000,000+ having been at least partially vaccinated and 340 have died from that, well, that's pretty low. I can't find reliable data, so I will trust your numbers.

On the other hand 1.5 million children (edit... as of early May 3.6 million) have gotten Covid, and 340 have died as per your numbers (I will trust them). Very low chance of kids dying from the 'vid, but probably much lower chances of them dyingfrom the vaccine.  It is obviously way too early to tell if there will be any long lasting affects from vaccinating children with a new vaccine. 

The physicians and microbiologists seem to feel the odds are very low... they could be wrong.

I am not worried at all about vaccine deaths in general. But since kids are at such tiny risk from COVID it really doesn’t make sense to expose them to any vaccine risk, immediate or long term. Better to wait until full auth. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, bch2014 said:

So where are they? Because this forum has a heavy male skew, probably has a higher median income than society at large, and has a wide range of ages... The reality of the situation is that most “traders” over the past year have made some nice money, but only a fraction of those have made life-changing money, so the self-made retail fat cats that you refer to are few and far between and are certainly not representative of a generation at large like you seem to think.

Provide me evidence that a significant portion of this generation’s best and brightest are day trading as a career. You can’t. 

We are on the same side here. I don’t think many people are making bank from day trading. I was just saying I doubt those that are getting rich are here telling us about it. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It goes on and on.

I understand what you're saying ...but I believe what's going on in the world transcends that trope - quite a bit actually.

The proof is multi-faceted.  Let's start with the biggest global influential advent in the history of humanity forcibly changing the way the previous 750,000 years of evolution instinctually taught us "how" to relate as "intrinsically .. if not dependently" socially oriented critters we are supposed to be: 

The INTERNET

;)  ... Your 98 year old gand pappy is right, too - btw.  The problem is ... we've been living in a relative quiescence that hides the vulnerability of the assumptions to access we all enjoy, for the last 1,000 years, actually - every generation since Nero has benefited from their progenitors - at a species level advantage. It's allowed technologies ... slow at first ( needed to get more or religion and conquest out of the way) to finally arrive to an era where it could hockey-stick these dazzling means we now enjoy - realization in just the last 50 years of aspects now that are completely uncharted water as to how it will long term play a role in our evolution.

It's really rather remarkable, ...we are handing off the reigns to a generation that is now in the much, much deeper end of the delusional pool. 

No, some work hard.  Some are even good at math and can see and sense the troubled "wiring" ( pun deliberate to add some annoyance here of course ) down the road. But most do take it for granted -

and frankly we have the presentt Gen X parental age, and older gens to blame - because we brought this shit to bear. These younger generations did not create that infrastructure.  So, that's where we should impugn ... imho.

Just imho but this is definitely a bigger problem than dismiss as prideful coot's curmudgeon from the prideful rocking perch. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I am not worried at all about vaccine deaths in general. But since kids are at such tiny risk from COVID it really doesn’t make sense to expose them to any vaccine risk, immediate or long term. Better to wait until full auth. 

I def see this side. It is more for her peace of mind and again the travel aspect in this case

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Whineminster said:

Things have been going down for the middle class since him. Trickle down doesn't work. You used to be able to do a menial type job and support a family....not now.  And look at all the things we need now versus the 60s....two cars since everyone drives so far to work, a cell phone for everyone (yes you need a phone to live nowadays), and you obviously need the internet to look for jobs, pay bills, and basically do anything.  

nearly 40 years of reaganomics destroyed the working class in this country.  even republicans now disavow reaganomics, although now they worship an orange demagogue instead.

it's nice to see workers have some leverage for a change.  this leverage will be fleeting though.  the zombie reaganites won't go away easily.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

1.05% for CT last 24-hours and hospitalizations down to 243!!!

Everything re-opens fully a week from today...I give it like first week of June and indoor mask mandate in CT will be bye-bye

I just read where Newsome in California is opening everything up in mid June. Even indoor mask mandates are going. 
A recall petition does wonders.

I may have to revise my 2022 unmasking schedule. Once a few states do it, they’ll fall like dominoes.

28 minutes ago, fujiwara79 said:

nearly 40 years of reaganomics destroyed the working class in this country.  even republicans now disavow reaganomics, although now they worship an orange demagogue instead.

it's nice to see workers have some leverage for a change.  this leverage will be fleeting though.  the zombie reaganites won't go away easily.

Getting partisan over this issue is stupid. It isn't the GOP that is causing any of this. More people need to wake up to the fact that it is the global 0.1% versus everyone else. Red vs blue is a fake distraction.

Same as the "Blues and Greens" of ancient Constantinople.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nika_riots

History has many lessons for us if we will listen. Our ancestors already dealt with these issues.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

I just read where Newsome in California is opening everything up in mid June. Even indoor mask mandates are going. 

I may have to revise my 2022 unmasking schedule. Once a few states do it, they’ll fall like dominoes.

Agreed!!

I still think that people are just going to stop wearing them in the coming weeks whether the mandates lift or not...especially at places like bars 

25 minutes ago, fujiwara79 said:

It was so much better under Carter. Lol

But I suspect you weren’t born yet.

Reagan wasn’t  perfect, but the late 70’s were a hot mess economically.  Between ditching the gold standard, interest being 15% and inflation through the roof, there wasn’t much choice. And I’m afraid we will see inflation return just like the 70’s, only on a worse scale. Normally to curb inflation you raise interest rates. But that’s not a viable option at this point. We have 30 trillion dollars of debt to service. You can’t do that with a 5% plus prime rate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Why not? If the weather is their hobby that’s what they’re going to do.

I don’t know many super rich people but two that I do know,  through circumstance, collect pinball machines and hang out on pinball forums all the time.

Well yeah, but they probably talk about pinball machines there.

Just my observation, but I don't know any rich people who go around talking non-stop to everyone about exactly how they became rich.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

I felt like public pressure was going to be very strong going into the summer. There’s also the empirical aspect of it that was going to have to be reconciled...states that lifted all restrictions a couple months ago never saw a big resurgence. That empirical reality can’t be ignored...especially as vaccinated percentages are only increasing with time. If lifting restrictions two months ago wasn’t a big problem, lifting them in May and June would be even less of a problem. 

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Agreed!!

I still think that people are just going to stop wearing them in the coming weeks whether the mandates lift or not...especially at places like bars 

I don’t know. Depends on where you live. I swear 90% of people on the street in Boston and Cambridge are still covered up like their fighting off a flesh eating plague. 

• Like 1

The amount of shit that the Greatest Generation went through does make the Millennials look pretty weak.

• Born into the Spanish Flu
  • Stock market crash when young
  • Childhood in the Great Depression
  • Drafted into the deadliest war in history
  • Own kids were drafted into Vietnam

They had it pretty rough. Could the average soy latte and avocado toast guy handle that kind of lifetime?

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

There’s also the empirical aspect of it that was going to have to be reconciled...states that lifted all restrictions a couple months ago never saw a big resurgence. That empirical reality can’t be ignored

^This times a thousand. 
Intersting that we have this huge lockdown/mask experiment going on where we actually have controls where we can test a null hypothesis. And I don’t think the p value is going to get under 0.05.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

I don’t know. Depends on where you live. I swear 90% of people on the street in Boston and Cambridge are still covered up like their fighting off a flesh eating plague. 

Who cares though? If people want to wear a mask for the rest of their lives let them. If you don't want to wear a mask then don't. Isn't that what freedom is all about?

• Like 2