Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    16,780
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Avon
    Newest Member
    Avon
    Joined

Spring Banter


 Share

Recommended Posts

Just now, PhineasC said:

Are you concerned that the vaccine is less effective than advertised? Or something else?

Other than masks, I don't see why a vaccinated person would need to ever think about COVID, much less be concerned over it.

I'm not. If at worst I get a mild case down the road, so be it. My only concern is for my kids. I know kids generally react more in a benign way from it, but as a parent...you genuinely care. However......given what I mentioned about kids, me vaccinated, and the low amounts of cases...I'd feel pretty good overall. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Its never going to get to zero, anywhere. If people are waiting for that to 'feel safe", open up 100%, and stop wearing masks indoors and out, they will be waiting the rest of their lives.

Gregory House: Doctor or Scientist? | by Kyle Osborne | The Outtake | Medium

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I'm not. If at worst I get a mild case down the road, so be it. My only concern is for my kids. I know kids generally react more in a benign way from it, but as a parent...you genuinely care. However......given what I mentioned about kids, me vaccinated, and the low amounts of cases...I'd feel pretty good overall. 

I’m more worried about my kids choking on a nugget from McDonalds or getting severely dehydrated from diarrhea than them getting COVID. The data is super firm that COVID is very low risk for kids. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, PhineasC said:

I’m more worried about my kids choking on a nugget from McDonalds or getting severely dehydrated from diarrhea than them getting COVID. The data is super firm that COVID is very low risk for kids. 

exactly.   I think that played a big role here in our schools suddenly reopening in early March-cases would never get to zero and this is a non event for 99.9% of children (and vaxx open to teachers at that point)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

I’m more worried about my kids choking on a nugget from McDonalds or getting severely dehydrated from diarrhea than them getting COVID. The data is super firm that COVID is very low risk for kids. 

Right, I agree. But with this a novel virus...my instinct is naturally there to always keep them safe. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd like to see hospitalizations broken down by vaccinated vs non-vaccinated. My wife knows a nurse that said people who have been vaccinated are coming in "left and right" to the hospital. Not sure what to make of that. Sounds very overstated and obviously not what would be expected. A few breakthrough cases for sure, but not hoards of people.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Right, I agree. But with this a novel virus...my instinct is naturally there to always keep them safe. 

I want mine safe too-but mental health plays a role-some schools still remain closed and there's some parents who don't let their kids socialize to this day...just insane IMO

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

I'd like to see hospitalizations broken down by vaccinated vs non-vaccinated. My wife knows a nurse that said people who have been vaccinated are coming in "left and right" to the hospital. Not sure what to make of that. Sounds very overstated and obviously not what would be expected. A few breakthrough cases for sure, but not hoards of people.

Our son's gf works in our local hospital..  she says right now there is a decent uptick in the number of Covid patients there.  But zero have been vaccinated people.   Small sample though

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Right, I agree. But with this a novel virus...my instinct is naturally there to always keep them safe. 

No doubt, but the vaccine also kills people (in small numbers). I don’t think the rationale for vaccinating kids is really there right now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Our son's gf works in our local hospital..  she says right now there is a decent uptick in the number of Covid patients there.  But zero have been vaccinated people.   Small sample though

I believe the same is true in CT.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Right, I agree. But with this a novel virus...my instinct is naturally there to always keep them safe. 

Yup, a good parent is there to protect their kids. Way too much unknowns with the virus to say they will be fine. I am not locking them up in a bubble, but I am also not sending them off to covid parties either. They wear seatbelts in the car, they wash their hands after going to the bathroom (they will acutally put their mask on without asking more often, I am still fighting them to wash their hands after the bathroom) My wife is pregnant and that is a whole different story. I am in the middle of being vaccinated, when finished I will remain on the safer side of things for the sake of my children and wife. Sometimes it just means doing things that reduce risk, like going to Costco in the evenings instead of Saturday afternoon, a mask when I am indoors. I do not find myself inconvenienced at all, sitting in traffic is more annoying than putting a mask on at a grocery store and definitely worse for my health.  My life is actually better with not eating at restaurants, I have saved a ton of money and definitely healthier. But to each their own I guess.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

New 30 year climo averages. We're getting warmer, but we're also getting snowier

Buffalo, NY: +0.7"

Rochester NY +2.5"

Syracuse NY +4.0"

Chicago, IL: +2.1"

Detroit, MI: +2.5"

Grand Rapids, MI: +2.6"

New York City, NY: +4.0"

Flint, MI: +4.7"

Boston, MA: +5.4"

Hartford, CT: +11.2"

Pittsburgh, PA +2.7"

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

No doubt, but the vaccine also kills people (in small numbers). I don’t think the rationale for vaccinating kids is really there right now. 

My wife and I are both scientists, she works in Pharma and we will choose to not vaccinate the kids until longer term studies have been done....We are both pro vaccine, but respect the long term studies on children that are still going through development. In the case of children, I think the benefits from the vaccine are not worth the unknowns from the long terms side effects that may exist when compared to their current risk from contracting Covid...for those in adulthood, I think it is a different story. My position on children could change if the virus becomes more virulent in children, which is still a possibility.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, OSUmetstud said:

I guess we'll see there. Just spitballing

Less natural immunity than other areas. Maine has the 4th least cases and deaths per capita

Vaccine coverage is excellent in the 65+ population (85%) but 43% in the 16 to 49 population. With little natural immunity the disease can still spread in younger people but with an ever decreasing case fatality rate. 

According to the Hopkins data, Maine's new cases are considerably higher than the national average, after a year of always being below that average, and seeing ICU cases at 80-90% of the post-holidays surge is cause for a bit of concern.  It is odd that a state near the top for vaccination percentage and with considerable restrictions still in place is having these numbers.  Are we merely testing at a far higher rate than elsewhere?   Also, in recent days nearly half of all new cases in Maine have been in folks age 30 or younger.  I've not seen a breakdown of ICU cases by age, but suspect it would show a much lower proportion of those young folks than do the new case numbers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Spanks45 said:

My wife and I are both scientists, she works in Pharma and we will choose to not vaccinate the kids until longer term studies have been done....We are both pro vaccine, but respect the long term studies on children that are still going through development. In the case of children, I think the benefits from the vaccine are not worth the unknowns from the long terms side effects that may exist when compared to their current risk from contracting Covid...for those in adulthood, I think it is a different story. My position on children could change if the virus becomes more virulent in children, which is still a possibility.

in some ways children may not need the vaxx if enough adults get it.  Already the cases in schools are dropping in my town most likely b/c 70% of adults have gotten at least one shot

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, tamarack said:

According to the Hopkins data, Maine's new cases are considerably higher than the national average, after a year of always being below that average, and seeing ICU cases at 80-90% of the post-holidays surge is cause for a bit of concern.  It is odd that a state near the top for vaccination percentage and with considerable restrictions still in place is having these numbers.  Are we merely testing at a far higher rate than elsewhere?   Also, in recent days nearly half of all new cases in Maine have been in folks age 30 or younger.

Yeah its interesting. Like I said, Maine has less natural immunity than nearly any other state. People are also interacting more the last month or two than they did before. 

That's the least vaccinated cohort. So it makes sense you would see most of it there and not in older folks. 

16 to 29 

38% first dose, 24% fully.

If you include kids its 

19% first dose, 12% fully. 

https://www.maine.gov/covid19/vaccines/dashboard

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

My wife and I are both scientists, she works in Pharma and we will choose to not vaccinate the kids until longer term studies have been done....We are both pro vaccine, but respect the long term studies on children that are still going through development. In the case of children, I think the benefits from the vaccine are not worth the unknowns from the long terms side effects that may exist when compared to their current risk from contracting Covid...for those in adulthood, I think it is a different story. My position on children could change if the virus becomes more virulent in children, which is still a possibility.

Yep, agreed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

New 30 year climo averages. We're getting warmer, but we're also getting snowier

Buffalo, NY: +0.7"

Rochester NY +2.5"

Syracuse NY +4.0"

Chicago, IL: +2.1"

Detroit, MI: +2.5"

Grand Rapids, MI: +2.6"

New York City, NY: +4.0"

Flint, MI: +4.7"

Boston, MA: +5.4"

Hartford, CT: +11.2"

Pittsburgh, PA +2.7"

More synoptic. Less LES.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

he says a surge in fall and winter is unlikely-how can one say that at this point in time?!?!?

I mean, is that outlandish though? Lots will be vaccinated by then. Also, define "surge." They'll be increases, but if he's comparing it to the last two seasons...it makes sense. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

he says a surge in fall and winter is unlikely-how can one say that at this point in time?!?!?

He's also saying we might not get back to normal until next Mother's Day and we may need to always wear masks to combat the flu. He keeps going on the talk shows and answering dumb hypothetical questions. He needs to stop.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I mean, is that outlandish though? Lots will be vaccinated by then. Also, define "surge." They'll be increases, but if he's comparing it to the last two seasons...it makes sense. 

perhaps, but what about variants and other factors like how long vaccines last-lots of variables out there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

there's some parents who don't let their kids socialize to this day...just insane IMO

That protective or over-protective stuff has been going on long before COVID though, it just highlights it more.  I don’t have kids but growing up we all knew those parents and kids.

My sisters and I were joking just yesterday at Mothers Day gathering about our neighbors who had the most over protective mother on the planet... if they put rollerblades on, the kids had pillows like duct taped to them as padding, eat a cracker and can’t go near a pool for a full 30 minutes (might get a cramp and drown), could only sled on the mellow side not the steep hill, would stick her head outside while we played whiffleball every 3-5 minutes to make sure everyone was still breathing, etc.  Inside at dark, no questions asked.  Can’t socialize with those kids because of of them swore once. 

Parents will be parents. Those kids missed out on a lot of fun back then even without COVID, ha.  They turned out awesome though in the end.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...