Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    16,780
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Avon
    Newest Member
    Avon
    Joined

Spring Banter


 Share

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Also if I’m vaxxed, I’m living my life. All the older loved ones who are in my circle are already vaxxed too. No way in hell am I hiding in fear.

4 generations today for Mother’s Day. Everyone vaxxed and living. We move on.

Red Sox best record in the MLB.  Good times.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Talked to momma for 1 1/2 hrs on the phone today. Heh ... I figured since she gave me 9 months + 18 years of patience we should be even now.

Fauci... “...time to rethink the indoor mask mandate. “ citing vaccine numbers. As in be more liberal  

I was noticing ... 260 million one dosed. So  what ... 260 m @ 78% protection .. we should already be seeing a taper off of new cases - right?  Logically the ambient risk has to already be substantially reduced - that’s just stat math. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Talked to momma for 1 1/2 hrs on the phone today. Heh ... I figured since the gave me 9 months + 18 years of patience we should be even now.

Fauci... “...time to rethink the indoor mask mandate. “ citing vaccine numbers. As in be more liberal  

I was noticing ... 260 million one dosed. So  what ... 260 m @ 78% protection .. we should already be seeing a taper off of new cases - right?  Logically the ambient risk has to already be substantially reduced - that’s just stat math. 

Just anecdotally, I don't know anyone who has gotten COVID in a quite a while now. There was a period in late winter where it did seem to spike and every day I was hearing of someone we know who tested positive, but once March hit and people really started getting vax appointments it dropped off a cliff. Again, just anecdotal.

Also, no one I know talks about getting tested anymore. So that alone should cause case counts to drop.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Just anecdotally, I don't know anyone who has gotten COVID in a quite a while now. There was a period in late winter where it did seem to spike and every day I was hearing of someone we know who tested positive, but once March hit and people really started getting vax appointments it dropped off a cliff. Again, just anecdotal.

Also, no one I know talks about getting tested anymore. So that alone should cause case counts to drop.

Me neither. Altho I was never really in or around any kind of hot zone ... still the last diag was early March - nada since. 

Un or sort of related, I’m sensing a growing indifference ...maybe issue exhaustion. But yeah anecdotal ... I suspect the greater accounting of those who got it and resolved over the fewer that rang up 100 grand in med bills might be getting people to mutter to themselves 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Just anecdotally, I don't know anyone who has gotten COVID in a quite a while now. There was a period in late winter where it did seem to spike and every day I was hearing of someone we know who tested positive, but once March hit and people really started getting vax appointments it dropped off a cliff. Again, just anecdotal.

Also, no one I know talks about getting tested anymore. So that alone should cause case counts to drop.

I’m getting around one student per week being out for Covid. Either themselves or someone in their household.  
 

But def way down.   No adult I know in quite a while

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, radarman said:

First one showed up today just as the red azalea began to bloom.  Shows up without fail at exactly this time every year.  

Interesting my red azaleas are blooming now as well

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, S&P said:

Interesting my red azaleas are blooming now as well

They also feed on nearly everything in my gardens , cigar plant, rose of Sharon and lots more than bloom later

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Just not seeing cases tanking here despite 44% full vax'd and 57% with one dose. And that's not taking into account those that already have some immunity from infection. Infection rate is actually up to 0.93 from 0.87 last week. ICU hospitalizations up too.image.png.eb58750a12229499f2875247a33ae529.png

image.png.00e8155334666503279e79ffded965cd.png

 

Yup... this is what is referred to in statistics&analysis as an 'outlier' - an anomaly relative to the mean of a much larger data density.  

 - you know that ... just sayn'

I mean obviously, when by virtue of shear size of an 'event arena' in nature, that concomitantly means there are/apt to be differential environments contained within said arean ... any one of which can and will response to event arrival/passage through at different rates based upon blah blah internal favorable vs unfavorable aspects.    Doesn't Maine engage in a lot of those 'keys in the fishbowl' parties ?   ...just kidding

Maine likely isn't the only place that is 'nook' bucking trends - ...  but yeah, doesn't do or say much to help the attitudes of those in/around any lingering festering ulcers on the map of COVID, no

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With the relaxing of mandates put on indoor activites such as restaurants, I would assume as long as less than 60-70 percent of the population remains unvaccinated or not protected from infection that the case numbers will continue to remain at higher levels. Covid seems to be very good at finding a host, especially with the increase in mutations being a bit more contagious. There does seem to be a bit of seasonal variation, so the case numbers should start dropping from increased vax and summer weather...Fall and winter should be telling with regards to how well the vaccines are actually working...Without antibody testing (accurately) everyone in the country, we may never really know just how many may have partial or full immunity moving forward.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Just not seeing cases tanking here despite 44% full vax'd and 57% with one dose. And that's not taking into account those that already have some immunity from infection. Infection rate is actually up to 0.93 from 0.87 last week. ICU hospitalizations up too.image.png.eb58750a12229499f2875247a33ae529.png

image.png.00e8155334666503279e79ffded965cd.png

 

I’m been following for weeks now, I honestly would have expected better in many areas with vaccine numbers. Just not seeing it. Concerning 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I’m been following for weeks now, I honestly would have expected better in many areas with vaccine numbers. Just not seeing it. Concerning 

We will definitely see a sharp drop off soon due to the change in seasons.  Big test IMO will be next winter. If there are no boosters, the earliest vaccinated will be approaching a year post vax.  Also, if only <70 percent of Americans get fully vaccinated, there won’t be herd immunity at that time. WW, herd immunity may never be achieved for many years if at all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maine cases are falling even after relaxing the mandates. Is going from 25 ppl in ICU to 55 ppl in ICU that concerning? Doesn't seem like a statistical significance when considering the entire population. MA is declining nicely. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

We will definitely see a sharp drop off soon due to the change in seasons.  Big test IMO will be next winter. If there are no boosters, the earliest vaccinated will be approaching a year post vax.  Also, if only <70 percent of Americans get fully vaccinated, there won’t be herd immunity at that time. WW, herd immunity may never be achieved for many years if at all. 

Trends in MA look great.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Maine cases are falling even after relaxing the mandates. Is going from 25 ppl in ICU to 55 ppl in ICU that concerning? Doesn't seem like a statistical significance when considering the entire population. MA is declining nicely. 

It's closing in on last Winter's worst of it. Regardless of stats, I'd say it's a bit concerning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

Just not seeing cases tanking here despite 44% full vax'd and 57% with one dose. And that's not taking into account those that already have some immunity from infection. Infection rate is actually up to 0.93 from 0.87 last week. ICU hospitalizations up too.image.png.eb58750a12229499f2875247a33ae529.png

image.png.00e8155334666503279e79ffded965cd.png

 

I guess we'll see there. Just spitballing

Less natural immunity than other areas. Maine has the 4th least cases and deaths per capita

Vaccine coverage is excellent in the 65+ population (85%) but 43% in the 16 to 49 population. With little natural immunity the disease can still spread in younger people but with an ever decreasing case fatality rate. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, OSUmetstud said:

I guess we'll see there. Just spitballing

Less natural immunity than other areas. Maine has the 4th least cases and deaths per capita

Vaccine coverage is excellent in the 65+ population (85%) but 43% in the 16 to 49 population. With little natural immunity the disease can still spread in younger people but with an ever decreasing case fatality rate. 

So that should fall soon as more get vaccinated. It's probably the brief spike some states saw before things started to go down. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

So that should fall soon as more get vaccinated. It's probably the brief spike some states saw before things started to go down. 

Yeah I think so. The behavior is relaxing at the same time the vaccines are happening and the coverage is lower in the prime spreading population. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Ha. 
I personally know a guy who’s whole family, including himself, are fully vaccinated. He won’t  let his wife go out shopping, won’t let his kids or grandkids in the house. His wife can’t go anywhere, he wont let her. They haven’t been anywhere in 14 months. The kids bring them groceries, etc and leave it on the porch.
I know another guy, both he and his wife are fully vaccinated. She hasnt left the house in 14 months except to get the vaccine. He only goes ur once every 2 weeks to get necessities that can’t have delivered. 
Yea, more people out there like that then you think. 

it's amazing someone could hang on that long.  I bailed after 6-8 weeks-couldn't take it anymore....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I’m been following for weeks now, I honestly would have expected better in many areas with vaccine numbers. Just not seeing it. Concerning 

Are you concerned that the vaccine is less effective than advertised? Or something else?

Other than masks, I don't see why a vaccinated person would need to ever think about COVID, much less be concerned over it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, PhineasC said:

Are you concerned that the vaccine is less effective than advertised? Or something else?

Other than masks, I don't see why a vaccinated person would need to ever think about COVID, much less be concerned over it.

yeah I'm fully vaccinated-I just go on with life at this point.  Yeah we still have to do the dog and pony show of masks in the grocery store but other than that's it's back to normal for me.

-

sidebar-the local grocery stores took out the one way aisle markers and killed the PA address every 5 minutes about "proper social distancing"  (which no one has done for the better part of 9 months now....)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Maine cases are falling even after relaxing the mandates. Is going from 25 ppl in ICU to 55 ppl in ICU that concerning? Doesn't seem like a statistical significance when considering the entire population. MA is declining nicely. 

Its never going to get to zero, anywhere. If people are waiting for that to 'feel safe", open up 100%, and stop wearing masks indoors and out, they will be waiting the rest of their lives.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...