• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Avon
    Newest Member
    Avon
Spring Banter

11 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

I hate it but it wouldn’t be as bad if I didn’t wear glasses.  When you sitting inside in a stuffy conference room, it’s warm, your face is stuffed in a diaper, glasses fogged up to the point you can’t see, it’s really stifling and claustrophobic when you can’t see or breathe very well. 

Yeah man I don't have to deal with that but certain empathize with you... I'd hate them with a passion with glasses.  My wife went to contacts almost solely during this because of that.  She prefers glasses but it's easy to see how fast they fog and how much it sucks. 

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah man I don't have to deal with that but certain empathize with you... I'd hate them with a passion with glasses.  My wife went to contacts almost solely during this because of that.  She prefers glasses but it's easy to see how fast they fog and how much it sucks. 

I have a phobia about putting stuff in my eyes. Just can’t do it. I wore them years ago when I did surgery (which was very little) but I hated putting them in and taking them out. I use progressive lenses now so I’m not sure contacts would work well anyway.

8 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

There's plenty of relevant case law for public health restrictions in pandemics going back over 100 years. I understand it sucks. 

Where's the "relevant case law" that provides for vaccinated people remaining under restrictions? Or is that some of the new case law being developed as we speak?

It's been over a year now with restrictions. FL and TX are literally fine. The huge spike in cases/deaths many predicted there never materialized. I can't think of any legit reason to continue with any restrictions. Case law from 100 years ago or not...

• Like 1

Just now, PhineasC said:

Where's the "relevant case law" that provides for vaccinated people remaining under restrictions? Or is that some of the new case law being developed as we speak?

I thought we were talking in general. Idk, I think the suggested guidance on vaccinated people trends too safe. 

The Court held that "in every well ordered society charged with the duty of conserving the safety of its members the rights of the individual in respect of his liberty may at times, under the pressure of great dangers, be subjected to such restraint, to be enforced by reasonable regulations, as the safety of the general public may demand" and that "[r]eal liberty for all could not exist under the operation of a principle which recognizes the right of each individual person to use his own [liberty], whether in respect of his person or his property, regardless of the injury that may be done to others."

Jacobson v. Massachusetts (1905)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

I thought we were talking in general. Idk, I think the suggested guidance on vaccinated people trends too safe. 

The Court held that "in every well ordered society charged with the duty of conserving the safety of its members the rights of the individual in respect of his liberty may at times, under the pressure of great dangers, be subjected to such restraint, to be enforced by reasonable regulations, as the safety of the general public may demand" and that "[r]eal liberty for all could not exist under the operation of a principle which recognizes the right of each individual person to use his own [liberty], whether in respect of his person or his property, regardless of the injury that may be done to others."

I agreed with this a lot more a year ago. It doesn't make any sense now. Unfortunately, govt and social inertia is a thing and it slows down course changes.

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Just talked to my SIL in Nova Scotia.  She said as of yesterday  the entire province is in a two week lockdown.  Apparently they have about 400 cases province wide.  :blink:

They've been running a mostly zerocovid policy, like here. We've had success due to the travel restrictions in Atlantic Canada.

Just now, OSUmetstud said:

They've been running a mostly zerocovid policy, like here. We've had success due to the travel restrictions in Atlantic Canada.

Well, I guess the Atlantic provinces are isolated enough with low enough populations that that type of policy could work.

You’ll never have it down to zero cases anywhere in the US, that’s for sure.

14 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Brought receipts...nice. Everything being done at this point I see falls well within those bounds.

• Weenie 1

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Well, I guess the Atlantic provinces are isolated enough with low enough populations that that type of policy could work.

You’ll never have it down to zero cases anywhere in the US, that’s for sure.

Yeah I agree. It's worked here. We've only had 6 deaths in NL, for example. Were up to about 30% vaccinated with the first dose, so there's a solid opportunity cost advantage in preventing infections and deaths this spring as we vaccinate. 

Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

There would be no tolerance for the way Canada has handled this here.

hasn’t there vaccine rollout been abysmal?

Wasn't their state travel restrictions early on? 

We don't have domestic vaccine manufacturing so we had a slower start, but just over 30% have a first dose now. It's much better than many other countries, but not as good as the US, the UK, or Israel. The daily rates lately are similar to the US. 

I never suggested that what Atlantic Canada did could work there.