Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

I used to be obsessed with football cards and baseball cards. I had some older ones from my uncle too...I still have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card. I swear, he bought like 2 packs of hockey cards in his life and one of them happened to be the Gretzky rookie. I still have a ton of football cards from the late 1980s and early 1990s....they aren't valuable as the older stuff, but I did have some pretty good insert cards....I have no idea what they are worth now.

I was baseball and basketball.  Haven't collected anything since the 90s but still have my more valuable stuff in a safe.  Some cards from the 90s have skyrocketed in value compared to 10-20 years ago, mainly some of the inserts but a lot of Kobe stuff has taken off in value too since his death (especially from his rookie season).  One thing that stands out is the 97-98 Metal Universe Precious Metal Gems basketball set.  Even the shit players go for hundreds of dollars on ebay.  I have a red Derek Harper from that set but oh how I would like to go back in time and buy up as many cards as possible from that set.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

I was baseball and basketball.  Haven't collected anything since the 90s but still have my more valuable stuff in a safe.  Some cards from the 90s have skyrocketed in value compared to 10-20 years ago, mainly some of the inserts but a lot of Kobe stuff has taken off in value too since his death (especially from his rookie season).  One thing that stands out is the 97-98 Metal Universe Precious Metal Gems basketball set.  Even the shit players go for hundreds of dollars on ebay.  I have a red Derek Harper from that set but oh how I would like to go back in time and buy up as many cards as possible from that set.

My most valuable cards from the 1990s are definitely insert cards. I had some good Emmitt Smith insert cards that at the time were going for 50-75 bucks. No idea what they are now. From my uncle's cards, I have a Ricky Henderson rookie card (1980 topps), Andre Dawson rookie (I think 1976 topps), and Ozzie Smith rookie (1979 topps?). The cards were in surprisingly good condition, but no idea whether they would grade out to mint or near-mint by all the psychos who grade these things with an electron microscope.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I have a bunch of baseballs cards barely touched. Hundreds  and hundreds from the early 90s. Wonder how much they are worth.

Yea. I have some dating back to the mid and late 80s. I just tried looking for the binders but couldn’t find them. I know they are laying around here somewhere stuffed in a box. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I have a bunch of baseballs cards barely touched. Hundreds  and hundreds from the early 90s. Wonder how much they are worth.

Toss me in the club of folks who have boxes and boxes of cards from the early to mid 90s.  I think my parents donated a bunch of them too, but I know there’s still a lot of Topps MLB cards.  

Historically speaking the analytics say that trading down is generally the smart move even without taking into account slotted salaries in the cap era.  So I say unless you have a guy you absolutely love there and no other guys you consider on the same tier, you have to at least consider it.

25 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Not much, I'll take them off your hands for $50, as a favor

My brother in law collected baseball cards. He died in 2016 of AML. He left my sister in law with over 10,000 cards dated from the 70’s through the aughts. He had multiples of sets. God knows what’s in those boxes. He had it all catalogued on an excel sheet but I know shyte about any of it. 
She’s looked into selling them but has no idea what the collection is worth. Some I’m sure are worth pennies. Some are probably worth hundreds. A guy offered her $5000 for the lot. She hasn’t sold them yet. 

4 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

My most valuable cards from the 1990s are definitely insert cards. I had some good Emmitt Smith insert cards that at the time were going for 50-75 bucks. No idea what they are now. From my uncle's cards, I have a Ricky Henderson rookie card (1980 topps), Andre Dawson rookie (I think 1976 topps), and Ozzie Smith rookie (1979 topps?). The cards were in surprisingly good condition, but no idea whether they would grade out to mint or near-mint by all the psychos who grade these things with an electron microscope.

I guess the good thing is that if you can manage to get something graded mint/near mint, you can get a ton extra.

All this talk about old cards inspired me to pull out that Derek Harper that I mentioned.  These look pretty cool in person... very vibrant.  It's a parallel set to the base one with each player only having 100 cards.  They are prone to chipping/flaking though, so finding one in great condition is even more rare.  I bet I could get several hundred for this thing even with the chipping around the border.  I just checked ebay for the heck of it and there is a Danny Ferry going for $800.  Danny Ferry, lol

20210429_175848.thumb.jpg.45aca15174adc45b6c04f7fbfd85c4ef.jpg

20210429_180049.thumb.jpg.ee356bd550dfb9983eb4f576ee4cafe9.jpg

1 hour ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

My brother in law collected baseball cards. He died in 2016 of AML. He left my sister in law with over 10,000 cards dated from the 70’s through the aughts. He had multiples of sets. God knows what’s in those boxes. He had it all catalogued on an excel sheet but I know shyte about any of it. 
She’s looked into selling them but has no idea what the collection is worth. Some I’m sure are worth pennies. Some are probably worth hundreds. A guy offered her $5000 for the lot. She hasn’t sold them yet. 

Probably worth more but she would have to check all of them, a tedious process.

1 hour ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

I think she’d take the 5000 and run, but she’s just been procrastinating. 

$5k for 10k of cards seems like it’s be a great return, no idea on what prices are though. Sounds like a good value for most cards being worthless, on a card collection decades later.  Chance of a couple being worth big money? Definitely tough to sell a loved one’s belongings though, can definitely understand hesitation.

I haven’t thought of sports cards in a very long time, this is a good trip back in time.

• Like 1