Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 2021 Weather Discussion

CoastalWx

52 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I will put this in the aint happening James 10 day weenie folder

I’ll put it in the 50/60s are likely next week folder, can always be warmer if things play out right. It’s Mid March by then not much of a stretch. 70s outside chance. It was 68-72 and humid March 20th last year . 

17 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

This might be the first time ever lol.  Usually Scoots has good music taste , as he and I like a lot of similar stuff.. But in this case he is very very wrong just like his forecast of days 70’s next week

Actually it is the 2nd time lol

To day has a sneaky nape potential ... MOS is matured up ticks now ..44 MET and 48 MAV for KASH is bankable with nearly full sun, light wind - that's actually spot on the 'nape affect'

Nape - the faux warm appeal of calm wind under bathing higher intensity solar insolation isolating the observer from the actual temperature.  ...

Anyway, I could see some patio temperatures even nook their way to 51, and after low of 19 F ...that's also a sneaky very deep diurnal recovery. 

Just some weather obs this morning...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, George001 said:

Well, looks like the storm threat next week is dead. I thought the models would start to bring it back today, but if anything they got even worse. The navy got a rid of the low so now all 3 models that I use don’t have a low. It appears that my forecast for next week is going to bust big time. The pattern initially looked good, but we look to be getting unlucky with the placement of the polar vortex. Its too far south so it will squash the storm. At least we have threats to track though, it’s not like the polar vortex is going to sit over the North Pole for all of March. It looks like it will head to the pole for 10 days or so before we get more chances for major nor’easters in the second half of March. On the long range models after the warm up I notice that they are breaking off pieces of the polar vortex and they are coming into central and eastern Canada. The MJO also appears to be going into the cold phases at a high amplitude, which should allow for a couple more chances before spring climo takes over. With both the Atlantic and the pacific drivers looking to become more cooperative in the 2nd half of March, we are not out of the woods yet despite getting unlucky with the polar vortex squashing the storm threat next week. 

give it up man. aside from a possible rogue storm, it's all over.

16 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Pretty much fits the definition of the book I didn't write.  Lots of wind and cold. I don't believe precip is required 

I understand that. Zero impact on my personal life, aside from an uncomfortable walk in and out from the car to the office.

So, its a no for me. Not debating the point, though...I get it.

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

To day has a sneaky nape potential ... MOS is matured up ticks now ..44 MET and 48 MAV for KASH is bankable with nearly full sun, light wind - that's actually spot on the 'nape affect'

Nape - the faux warm appeal of calm wind under bathing higher intensity solar insolation isolating the observer from the actual temperature.  ...

Anyway, I could see some patio temperatures even nook their way to 51, and after low of 19 F ...that's also a sneaky very deep diurnal recovery. 

Just some weather obs this morning...

I just looked at satellite and at least until early aftn it should be fairly sunny. Winds look annoying though.

37 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I just looked at satellite and at least until early aftn it should be fairly sunny. Winds look annoying though.

Yeah that's a critical factor ... I don't know what the 'wind chill' threshold is for busting up that fragile cocoon of mild air that bubbles around the nape ( haha...)

I mean anything beyond flag wobbling starts interfering pretty fast..

Right now we are calm here in Ayer.  Up from 19 to 31 already ... it's actually an explosive diurnal recovery already, without mixing.. We'll see what happens when this decoupled air mass couples back up -

I think the clouds up stream are oreographically vulnerable to d-slope evaporation tho - we'll see.

Edit: 33 .. it's rising fast!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

About the same posture in relation to a major snow event in early-mid March lol

Yeah, was just musing that precisely - although I might be willing to make that distinction as warm vs cool season in general - the old d8 switch.

I feel this way about big heat monitoring ..circa late May thru early August - exactly ...Recognize the synoptic precursors, first - 'do they survive the GEF polar jet OCD gauntlet'; does the EPS carry the torch? ... etc...  Those are the type of internal monologues when at D10 ..etc.   If the signal is there on D5 ...I'll post - and summarily be ignored do to content of course... but that's another story.   Then, as Will's probably intimating there ... we need that D4-6 window to get passed the New England sore-butt, BD micro climate hell that sends signal destructor air masses SW under the flow even oblivious to God himself...   ..  which brings us to or < D4  LOL

I dunno ...I agree with your statement 100% ... If I were grading the quiz in this course, "Butt Bang Synoptics 101" .. I'd give you an A+ for that comparison, but I'd red ink a comment that says that of the two... "it does seem that heat side is even more fragile and prone to failure than the coveted D8 Euro bomb" ...

we just happen to remember the cruelty of failure in the winter more, because by nature of this committy...no one really gives enough-a shit to even pay attention to the abysmal heat-handling of the guidance in the summer.   Lol ..sorry, I find this all amusing -

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

We debate, same annoying guitar  riffs in every song. 

Even Gene and Paul have said that they were never great musicians, which was part of the reason for all of the smoke and mirrors that started out small, and got to the scale that they have been for decades.  Basic rock riffs indeed, but as mreaves noted they know how to market themselves.

Kiss is always a good live show.  Always entertaining, and that's what they are. Entertainers. If you have never seen them live, try and catch them on this "final" tour.  It's a good time.

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It does look like there could be some shenanigans mid month or a little after....pattern become a bit more favorable for a winter threat.

For shits and giggles I looked at the 6z GFS. I know this is random, but hr 348 reminds me of that sneaky good event on 3/19/13.  That was a great event in BOS.

14 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

24.4F high here.   Prob a -16 type departure?

Reached 14° yesterday afternoon, tied with 12/17 for the season's coolest max.  Too bad it was spoiled by the cheap 25° high at my 9 PM obs the evening before.  Only 5 of 23 winters have failed to post a <10 max.  Five have had at least one subzero high.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

For shits and giggles I looked at the 6z GFS. I know this is random, but hr 348 reminds me of that sneaky good event on 3/19/13.  That was a great event in BOS.

That isn't the fire hose event, right? I hate when you use the term "sneaky" because that limits upside by default.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

That isn't the fire hose event, right? I hate when you use the term "sneaky" because that limits upside by default.

No it was like a SWFE. IIRC, you guys did very well in NE MA. I think near 12"?  I suppose sneaky is subjective, but we did better than I thought we would near BOS hence sneaky. There was a good band of S+ that aligned WNW-ESE right over the city on north.