• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OBS and nowcast 9 AM today - Noon Valentines Day Feb 13-14, 2021

wdrag

A seemingly - relatively boring advisory light mixed wintry elements event seems to start as snow or sleet near I-195 in central NJ this morning and spreads north to the I78 corridor and LI by mid or late afternoon, eventually changing to a bit of freezing rain tonight. It ends sometime Sunday, probably midday ish. Have ended the topic time as Noon Sunday, since thereafter, temps probably close to or just above freezing with any remaining icing negligible for the remaining daylight hours. 

The region north of I80 in ne PA/nw NJ/extreme se NYS and s CT should see a period or two of light snow/sleet this evening into Sunday morning but the precip is so light that dry air may evaporate precip with nothing reaching the ground near I-84 in the northern part of our subforum.

Uncertainty on precip types and even amounts, but thinking a few tenths of an inch of sleet here and there and certainly slippery at times all untreated surfaces this Saturday evening,

Noting any spotty icing near dawn on the 15th as sporadically modeled near NYC is not covered in this thread. 

Advisories are posted for LI and much of NJ. Please follow NWS advisories and statements on this light prelim event for what appears to be daily bouts of wintry elements in portions of the forum the 15th, 16th, 18th and maybe early 19th. Leaving this last sentence as a place holder for updating the other the other threads by 930AM and deleting at that time once those are updated. 

Added WPC probabilistic ensemble graphics for today and tomorrow to assist with confidence but are necessarily imperfect due to the proximity of the ocean.

Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 5.49.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 5.49.45 AM.png

• Rjay pinned this topic

Doesn't seem like much, especially nw of NYC tonight in NW NJ, se NYS and northern Ct with anything there, possibly confined to the overnight or early morning hours  Sunday. Seems like mostly I78 south across LI.  

Just have to be safe in this mixed light or very light event. Still almost a 20 degree spread in T/TD up here in Wantage, not boding well for qpf  hitting the ground before 11PM up here. 

21 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Doesn't seem like much, especially nw of NYC tonight in NW NJ, se NYS and northern Ct with anything there, possibly confined to the overnight or early morning hours  Sunday. Seems like mostly I78 south across LI.  

Just have to be safe in this mixed light or very light event. Still almost a 20 degree spread in T/TD up here in Wantage, not boding well for qpf  hitting the ground before 11PM up here. 

bone dry here 29/9 new NAM has very little for anyone

• Thanks 1

Going to be some surprises later tonight. Unbelievable how clueless the 18z 3k NAM is.

Frontogenesis at the lower levels is developing over the I-95 corridor and I expect the radar to fill in after dark.

You can see how the latest run of the HRRR shows about a 3-4 hour burst of precip beginning around 03z.

hrrr_ref_frzn_neus_10.png

• Like 1

• Rjay unpinned this topic