Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 7th Storm Threat Discussion/Obs

mappy

4 minutes ago, eduggs said:

Most guidance was pretty wet in central TN tonight. What makes you think it's outperforming?

Compare the 3k NAM radar at 3z and 4z to what’s happening now. The precip is more expansive and the trajectory is more north then the 3k has it. Doesn’t necessarily extrapolate but it’s not a bad sign Imo. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

One thing that can step in and save our area with southern stream shortwaves at really short leads is development down south. At short leads, northern stream are often some level of dry or inhibited in these parts in reality compared to guidance. Southern stream are often some level of juicier and stormier in these parts in comparison.  

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Compare the 3k NAM radar at 3z and 4z to what’s happening now. The precip is more expansive and the trajectory is more north then the 3k has it. Doesn’t necessarily extrapolate but it’s not a bad sign Imo. 

I don't trust sim radars. Preferably I like to compare upper level charts with interpolated RAOBs. Or model forecast QPF with surface observations. I hope you're right but to me the radar looks as modeled or even a little bit weaker. I'd prefer to see the s/w a little more wrapped up out ahead of the northern stream front. To me it looks like it will get shunted eastward as modeled.

Wherever the best banding sets up should do okay. But I don't see a big positive bust with this one so far.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, eduggs said:

I don't trust sim radars. Preferably I like to compare upper level charts with interpolated RAOBs. Or model forecast QPF with surface observations. I hope you're right but to me the radar looks as modeled or even a little bit weaker. I'd prefer to see the s/w a little more wrapped up out ahead of the northern stream front. To me it looks like it will get shunted eastward as modeled.

Wherever the best banding sets up should do okay. But I don't see a big positive bust with this one so far.

I’d be more than okay with the higher end of guidance. 

1 minute ago, jayyy said:

See bobs reply for more info. Sorry. Long, long day today.

No problem. I think it’s not an easy answer. Was curious and saw this article. I know I’ve heard them talk about this on the weather channel.

https://stormtrack.org/community/threads/winter-storms-mid-latitude-cyclones-and-moisture-robbing-thunderstorms.8750/

39/21 in Crofton. Outside of the dewpoints (which are lower), this antecedent airmass feels very March-like, especially with high around 50F Sunday. I was getting PTSD vibes right before "Snowquester", or the March 6, 2013 event, but then realized that our dewpoints (and thus wet bulbs) are lower. Of course, that was a much bigger system, Miller B, with the transfer and lack of FGEN over the DC-Balt corridor really hampering our rates and (thus) accums.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I’ve always felt that heavy convection to the south can rob some of the precip to the north. 

It def can rob the precip shield.  I dont think what is going on down south will have that effect tho. 

You know where I first learned that?.... Bob Ryan! lol  No golden snow shovel when there is a tor outbreak in the deep south.... Exception 3/1993

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, eduggs said:

Can’t do that yet since the precip is breaking out now. By the time those observations come in its practically going to be time to see where the banding sets up. You’re making too much from it. There is a slightly more expensive precip shield down south then modeled but I didn’t say that’s definitely a sign this is going to be better. Just made the observation and said it could be a good thing. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic