• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Quick Hitter Coastal Threat, Feb 7-8th

The 4 Seasons

You know ... not that anyone doesn't know this or takes it into consideration ... but, caution when using CIPs or any other analog method -

Some critical aspects to keep in mind are timing, and 'best fit' constraints.

Timing:  the best fit analog may in fact be moving slower/faster than a given present comparison, which may by mimicry in the synoptic features ( snap shots ) look more or less similar; however, that residence time over any given location may skew the results to more or less. 

Best fit:  may in fact be a poor fit in reality - it just happpens to be the best that can be found..  The smarts kid with Down's Syndrome - not saying that is that case here. But we bandy out these CIPs ominous references...and I frequently find when running over to the NCEP library that the 500mb and surface evolution for the analog in question may only look so-so, or not so lo good to me as real comparisons - just regarding those two primary comparison metrics. 

32 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Wow. On the RGEM. 

That trend GIF is LOL

It's interesting ...that trend - the last in the sequence shows a cyclone tracking between the Cape and the BM  ( extrapolating...), yet despite that lat/lon axis ... the denser QPF struggles to find S NH.

I think that reflects the compressed field/fast flow typology of system type in that their impact is narrowed -  that seems to show that. 

But even so, that looks almost too much..  I'd also like to see more commitment to "classic mechanical" featuring ...such as more 850 mb ... 700 surfaces.. The paltry characteristic of these sigma levels, also a bit SE of ideal climo track, strikes me a potential oversell on QPF over the NW expansion.. A fast moving shred fest on radar is a viable correction NW middle CT to SE Mass 

This is also in flux too - I mean these metrics may look more impressive on the 18z ..as more relay off the Pac and some subtle nuanced constructive interference in an overall bath of destructive speed interference ...work so hard to hide this f'n thing's secrets ... but just based on this run.

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Pretty good chance ORH area steals this one too?

Always possible. Though this isn't really a "stealing the snow" setup for ORH, it is more likely the type of setup that ORH will be just far enough southeast to get into the really good stuff and then Ray will complain how they are always "just far enough in one direction" to get the goods.

• Like 1