Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter 2021

George BM

1 minute ago, EHoffman said:

You're right, the thread is at its best when 10 people comment the same thing about hr 42 of the NAM at the same time.

There's many annoyances on this here weather forum - but posting banter and then straight up labeling it as such in the main thread defeats the purposes of having a banter thread. At least this time people agree on what a frame shows. Half the time one person says "it looks suppressed" and the other person says "looks way more amped"

Just now, Kmlwx said:

There's many annoyances on this here weather forum - but posting banter and then straight up labeling it as such in the main thread defeats the purposes of having a banter thread. At least this time people agree on what a frame shows. Half the time one person says "it looks suppressed" and the other person says "looks way more amped"

dont get too far ahead of yourself. @The Ole Bucket already contradicted himself

12 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Over under how many more times you ask 

I am trying to get a feel if this "storm" will actually materialize into something that represents the forecast as it's being portraying. Every other event this season has not really performed as expected or forecasted.  3 would be a meh event in my eyes other might disagree. 

Just now, GATECH said:

For those wondering, here’s what’s going on

https://www.weather.gov/media/rnk/88D-generator-replacement.pdf

answer to my own question, 6-8 days...but in government talk that could mean anything?

They are pretty good about getting the 88Ds back up in a timely manner. They got the LWX radar back up a few days ahead of schedule when the bullgear failed. 

• Like 1

Just now, EHoffman said:

Literally just having a good time.  People here so emotional over their snow.

I'm mostly taking the Bob Chill approach this year - so I hope this was not targeted at me. Cover my grass so I can't see the blades and I'm happy. Yes - a HECS is fun - but snow is fun. I've turned into more of a severe guy myself. 

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

Just now, Kmlwx said:

I'm mostly taking the Bob Chill approach this year - so I hope this was not targeted at me. Cover my grass so I can't see the blades and I'm happy. Yes - a HECS is fun - but snow is fun. I've turned into more of a severe guy myself. 

I approve of this message.

• Like 1

Does anyone on here remember/know if DC has even recently had a storm drop 3+ inches of sleet? I vaguely recall a March storm a few years ago that was supposed to be a sleet bomb, but did that fizzle out? I guess I'm wondering what a sleetstorm accumulating at the rate of an inch/hour for 3+ hours would actually look like. 

8 minutes ago, Deck Pic said:

Whether models are cold or warm, 

As the 18z NAM run 36 hours from onset goes, so goes the storm.

I have that creeping dread forming again based on the last 4 storms. If this storm is going to shit the bed it will start tonight. 

30 minutes ago, 66degreesnorth said:

Does anyone on here remember/know if DC has even recently had a storm drop 3+ inches of sleet? I vaguely recall a March storm a few years ago that was supposed to be a sleet bomb, but did that fizzle out? I guess I'm wondering what a sleetstorm accumulating at the rate of an inch/hour for 3+ hours would actually look like. 

Probably the best example is feb 14 2007, it has been thrown about lately.  Was supposed to be a big ice storm, but we got a nice thump of 2-3inches of snow, then about 3 inches of sleet, then a glaze of ice.  It was like a glacier.  Happened at night, so not much to see.  I was in a big sleet storm in Georgia in the 80’s, poured sleet, pretty miserable to be out in.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 66degreesnorth said:

I don't know what DC got but the Valentines sleet bomb of 2007 was one of the craziest things I've seen with hours of heavy sleet accumulating 4-8 inches in central MD.  It was pouring off our roof after the gutter was full and left a 20" deep ridge just outside the garage door.  Some places got a period of freezing rain at the end that solidified it so bad that cars were cemented in place.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic