• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 30-February 1 Winter Storm

Hoosier

Most models kicking out 0.75"-1" QPF in the Chicago metro before much lake contribution. I'll ride my 8.5". While short duration and ratios may hurt things a bit, it's clearly in reach. Also still wouldn't be surprised to see some drizzle after the main WAA dumpage moves through. Maybe even some mixing/rimed flakes at onset. Per the HRRR it doesn't look a wall of heavy snow anymore, but still ramps up nicely.

6 minutes ago, ChiTownSnow said:

actually shows some crazy extreme amounts that you can pretty much discount. 6"-10" is the call.

• Like 1

If mixing issues end up being an issue and we only get a few inches of snow it's only going to make the snowpack in place that much more formidable.  Would prefer an all-snow 6+ incher but there is an upside to the mixing scenario at least lol.  Would have loved to get in on that 2"/hr scenario the models were putting out in previous cycles.  It's still possible but looking less likely for these parts.

• Like 1

Just now, cyclone77 said:

If mixing issues end up being an issue and we only get a few inches of snow it's only going to make the snowpack in place that much more formidable.  Would prefer an all-snow 6+ incher but there is an upside to the mixing scenario at least lol.  Would have loved to get in on that 2"/hr scenario the models were putting out in previous cycles.  It's still possible but looking less likely for these parts.

Let me guess, that glacier won't melt until late April? :lol:

Just now, cyclone77 said:

Ha well we ain't no stranger to a string of 60s in Feb and that would nuke it all to hell, but it would have the capability to hold on longer than a "normal" 10" snowpack lol.

Ah yes, you're referring to Feb 2017, right?  That was a recordbreaking stretch of warm weather with extremely rare 70s in CR.

2 minutes ago, ILSNOW said:

you buy it or toss it?

not a met. I've just seen the NAM do this before. To this point all other guidance screams this is an outlier. Plus no reason I see for such a drop off in QPF as it heads north based on whats occurring downstream. But I'll leave it to the pros for real thoughts.

1 minute ago, Baum said:

not a met. I've just seen the NAM do this before. To this point all other guidance screams this is an outlier. Plus no reason I see for such a drop off in QPF as it heads north based on whats occurring downstream. But I'll leave it to the pros for real thoughts.

Pulled the same stunt this morning, so, I'd toss it.

• Like 1

I'll get a chance to look much more in depth when I get to the office in a couple hours. Initial reaction is that the NAM always seems to be like a windshield wiper for our area. Until we see model support for that depiction, I don't see putting a ton of stock in it at this time since as @Chicago Storm noted the PWATs were actually up on this run. WPC likes to lean on the ensemble means for QPF forecasting since those are usually more stable and they add in details from some of the high res stuff. Interested in seeing their thoughts when I get in.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1