• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 30-February 1 Winter Storm

Hoosier

Pretty sweet consensus, no doubt. Crazy evolution. I can't really remember a storm emerging into the plains, blowing up a huge precip shield in nearly all directions, then quickly weakening/starting a transfer to the coast. It all seems to happen so quickly as modeled. Wonder if next week's system will finally break through that "block"? Kind of reminds me of watching a Florida-bound hurricane race under a stout Bermuda high. When will it turn??

• Like 2

Pretty sweet consensus, no doubt. Crazy evolution. I can't really remember a storm emerging into the plains, blowing up a huge precip shield in nearly all directions, then quickly weakening/starting a transfer to the coast. It all seems to happen so quickly as modeled. Wonder if next week's system will finally break through that "block"? Kind of reminds me of watching a Florida-bound hurricane race under a stout Bermuda high. When will it turn??

It's a relatively common occurrence to have a primary in the Midwest and eastern Lakes and transfer to a secondary that blows up near the East Coast. This one is a more interesting evolution I'd say than the more common occurrence. Some of the recent decades big events in the subforum did go on to produce big dog amounts in the east, like January 05, Feb 07, GHD II.  

What's interesting to me about this one is that the block is over Hudson Bay, which is very far southwest, so it forces that interesting evolution under the block. The cutoff happens south of us on Sunday-Sunday night when it slows down and slides east.

Next week's system does have the potential to reshuffle the deck so to speak. It looks like what could happen is the very west based block could give way and then the upper low from the Midwest system could link up with a PV lobe dislodged by a spike of the EPO region ridging. This evolution would then force the block to reorient near Greenland, which is a more classic position for the NAO block and lead to the -EPO, -PNA, -AO, more easterly -NAO, which is a really good look for more fun times ahead.

• Like 9

Euro is a dream for Chicagoland. Rippage for hours, lake enhancement, no p type issues.    Loving the consensus, hoping we finally have a well modeled storm that overperforms  

We'll see here shortly with the 00z EPS, if we keep or increase the ensemble clustering, that suggests a stable, higher than average confidence forecast, on top of the overall remarkable consistency of the 00z op models and other ensemble systems. If we keep this up for the model cycles through tomorrow night, I might be the one issuing the watch for LOT, as I'm starting midnight shifts with MTF.     

Edit: And here it is. The clustering of almost all members within the ensemble mean surface low at 84 hours says it all. While there's still time for changes, hard not to get excited.

302d768cba9ca362f02fadc418027cc5.jpg&key=79ff6a38298dc26f66d73fec1ac6bd08851c1083c609c04132c2475e0dd4d9f85be097680c56ede7d69530de96a0216a.jpg&key=6908e2ee6e421cbb031946c3fee61c684c500eae714a677327284be4eb1fa1bd

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

If...if this plays out as guidance has been showing, it’ll be the first time an event was nailed down this well several days out in eons.

6033fd6c-10f4-4021-9d02-9332d621b552.gif

From KLOT

Global model guidance remains in remarkable agreement regarding
the synoptic-scale trends with this system--somewhat surprising
at this range and given the lack of land-based sampling until
Friday morning. Ensemble envelopes continue to narrow, with
something like 250-300 miles or less separating the 80+
individual ECMWF and GFS ensemble member`s low positions by
midnight Sunday.

Would love to lose that piece of energy on the backside of the W Atlantic trough that hangs back in Quebec.  Real culprit in having the storm fall apart as it heads east.  But, as usual, what I want and what will be are not going to align.

2-4" with maybe a bit more if that lake helps out is my early call.  We'll have to watch out for models underestimating the amount of dry air on the northern flank though.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1