• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 26-27 light snows

ORH_wxman

Starting this thread for the Jan 26-27 overrunning snows. Favored is southwest but some of the model guidance today is showing some better potential for further north and also prolonging the snows with an inverted trough. 

GFS was the most weenie-ish so I’ll post it, first but other guidance is suggesting reasonable chance for advisory snows somewhere in SNE....you’ll notice the heavier band in central NY that points toward SNE and it’s on almost all the guidance...we’ll need to watch if that can maintain longer as we get closer to the event...that is the key for getting more than an inch or two  

image.thumb.png.c0a1dc5c9212ddc5e524724071118350.png

image.thumb.png.27e400d8b569356a98a3b2211ffab3fe.png

image.thumb.png.6d2ed78bb2fbae4cd43907ba7e81dbd3.png

• Like 1

Moving this post here:

I mentioned this yesterday in a post so long that no one likely read it ( lol...)  ... we could end up in protracted/saturating easterly fetch into cold thickness out of this...

Tues night primes the wick by saturating the column.  The more important miss moves by to the south.  The latter of which perpetuates with the establishment of a long fetch off the Atlantic... The GFS QPF is mapping persistent albeit light contamination ongoing through the mid week period and this has actually been both on and off cycle but is believable given that foresaid synopsis.

Could snow lightly for a long time... mixing with freezing drizzle and grains when not aggregated.  Gray wintry pall to the atmosphere ... Also, that kind of set up can manifest an inversion a bit where the WB layer is beneath the 700 mb ...and then you get a low sounding growth region and the snow may sneaky come down at an appeal that is a category heavier then radar depiction.  Kind of a street lamps romanticizer ... Yeah, bunner cash in

OES embedded too -

That's taking the GFS operational verbatim though - heh...always a risk. But we are under 108 hours so... it may be worth it to start ruminating details.  I would also be weary ... when that SPC chunk comes down ...watch that NORLUN QPF hook out there...It's been flagged in the ICON too and it's really a NORLUN vestige out over the the water as it is..

So yeah 26 and 27 but it may be 2.5 day smear for us... miss the storm but generate our own concern from geographic circumstance.  Having the N-S elevation striations through the area helps that, too.   nice -

1 minute ago, Bostonseminole said:

should we extend this thread to the 28th? looks like light snow also

It might go into the 28th ala Tip’s post. Depends on the orientation of the ocean storm and upper air but I could see that playing out...kind of the “clear air mode radar elements moving in from the E or NE”. 

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It might go into the 28th ala Tip’s post. Depends on the orientation of the ocean storm and upper air but I could see that playing out...kind of the “clear air mode radar elements moving in from the E or NE”. 

And not to beat the topic ...

actually, is there a NORLUN checklist ?   ...you know - like there is for WINDEXing

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

actually, is there a NORLUN checklist ?   ...you know - like there is for WINDEXing

Tip, I think we are leaning towards a potential full phase of the PV lobe with the southern stream system.  Has there ever been a scenario where the PV phases with the southern stream?

• Weenie 3

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It’s essentially the same as the WINDEX checklist except a few tweaks (as you know, the instability parameters will be similar)

3BECB91D-ABB3-45F5-A0FC-AC0122F0F8A1.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Tip, I think we are leaning towards a potential full phase of the PV lobe with the southern stream system.  Has there ever been a scenario where the PV phases with the southern stream?

Three buns

3 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Looks like mostly nuisance mood snows.... a couple inches over 24 hours isn’t exactly snowing to beat the band 

Two buns

• Haha 2

Every piece of guidance skews the southern stream because they are infusing the PV lobe into the shortwave troughing that becomes a longwave off the coast.  Previous runs were trying to figure out where this lobe would locate itself over the next few days, they are not set on one location and therefore the PV lobe will continue to migrate in each direction until the models can determine the puzzle it presents.  Honestly, I am beginning to lean towards a bigger phase potential because as Tip mentioned previously, the PNA is rising towards the 30th and the NAO is rising as well, so the block will recede some towards the end of the month in this timeframe.  The PNA rising will allow the trough to slow down its progress like the RGEM and NAM have been showing towards Day 3.