• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Malcolm M
    Newest Member
    Malcolm M

Dec 29-Jan 2 potential storm event

39 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

Nice pic. Was just out in the back listening to the trees crack in the wind. Not comforting. :lol:

Haha.  No it isn’t.

I do hear a little dripping from the ice. Very slow melt.  Quite a bit to go though. 

70C9030F-65F7-474D-ACE9-DC8325EC5E43.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Pesky warm layer aloft continues to hold firm here.  Still sleet, with some freezing rain as well.  The 2-3" of snow is now looking like an inch or two if we can manage to change to snow in the next hour or two.

EDIT:  Finally starting to see some wet flakes mixing in now that it's getting dark lol.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vortex said:

Haha.  No it isn’t.

I do hear a little dripping from the ice. Very slow melt.  Quite a bit to go though. 

70C9030F-65F7-474D-ACE9-DC8325EC5E43.jpeg

Psychedelic 

• Like 3

Can you have them set one up in Woodstock?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

There was an AWOS in Lake in the Hills that has since gone defunct. I'm not sure the process in getting an AWOS to an airport but it sure would be nice to have one in McHenry. As far as ASOS goes, I think it depends on the size of the airport to get one put in.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Really happy with this storm. Definitely have over a quarter inch of ice here. It's snowing pretty hard now with these convective bursts rotating in from the east as the upper low moves overhead. Definitely wasn't worse case scenario due to sleet mixing early on and dry slot this afternoon but best winter event we seen here in a while. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Iowa City picked up a solid 4" of snow this afternoon.  I did not see a flake in Cedar Rapids.

That's about 15 inches in Iowa City this week.

That's sweet. I'm guessing you're more than half way to your seasonal average already? Glad somebody in this sub was able to score big with this event. 

Happy New Years! :)

• Like 2

Good clip of snow here, I'd say a solid inch on the ground and still coming.  Lots of ice over night.  I definitely lost some limbs in my yard.  Hope the power stays on. 

46 minutes ago, CoachLB said:

Forecast high was 47. Got to 36 down to 34.

I noticed that as well, got to 43 IMBY on the SE side of Dayton, yesterday they were talking highs near 60 for SW Ohio.  Line of heavy rain or maybe a storm has formed along I-75.

Precip filling in now as the upper low passes to the south.

Flipped to snow here about an hour ago, with a few tenths down. Should snow for several hours, with 1-4” area wide.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

I'm jealous lol. Those are good as a base for snowcover. How deep?

It's about 6" or so.  Even before today you could walk over the snow and not break through the crust and sink, that's how hard the top layer is.  I'd imagine it's even more impenetrable now with today's freezing rain and sleet.  

we picked up about 1/3" of sleet again this afternoon.  Not far from 2" of sleet in the past week.  Snowing pretty hard right now, looks like a good dusting so far.  Nice band moving through.

Man this snow has been a nice surprise. I thought most of it was going to be to my nw. Upper low setup perfectly for me to get in the pivot point. Easily have 2in now and coming down hard. 

• Like 3