Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium/Long Range Disco Thread

yoda

11 minutes ago, Snowchaser said:

The storm threat this week reminds a lot of 2018. 

this is what happened —>

91383BCF-BB83-4E51-8F37-E7D0FF936E8D.png

and this was the forecast —>

6266F590-873E-4F54-A14C-C7F24C38CF8C.jpeg

Didn't we have legit arctic air with that one?  I think I remember smoking cirrus up here in the DC area and it being like 20 degrees for the high.  This one with a very marginal airmass doesn't seem it could produce such a wide swath of heavy snow, 

10 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Didn't we have legit arctic air with that one?  I think I remember smoking cirrus up here in the DC area and it being like 20 degrees for the high.  This one with a very marginal airmass doesn't seem it could produce such a wide swath of heavy snow, 

I live just outside Lynchburg. Was 40 the day before and the day after. Snowed all day with temps in the mid 20's. We did have perfect timing with a HP sliding through but the air was more dry than cold. Take out the precip and we would have hit 40 that Sunday as well. 

5 minutes ago, ryanconway63 said:

GFS blows again, what else is new

New England vort is out of the way more. But Plains shortwave is faster and stronger and the storms closed low is weaker. Feels like a damned if you do damned if you don’t situation.

9 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

New England vort is out of the way more. But Plains shortwave is faster and stronger and the storms closed low is weaker. Feels like a damned if you do damned if you don’t situation.

Who said that if you want snow in the Mid Atlantic everything needs to line up.  Sure seems like that with this event,  or non-event. 

12 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Still think we can get both storms

I think we can. Also can miss both. GGEM and para gfs both miss Friday. Para is still sheared for next week, but got a bit more organized. GGEM also took a big step toward a storm next week. Have to see how that run finishes.

Lots of shortwaves flying around. Some can help and some can hurt. But we have chances.

Just now, WxUSAF said:

I think we can. Also can miss both. GGEM and para gfs both miss Friday. Para is still sheared for next week, but got a bit more organized. GGEM also took a big step toward a storm next week. Have to see how that run finishes.

Lots of shortwaves flying around. Some can help and some can hurt. But we have chances.

Yep. Basically just said the same thing. Lots of moving and likely changeable parts

Just now, WxUSAF said:

It crapped the bed around 168

9 minutes ago, yoda said:

Does look like 12z CMC is trying for something good at the end of the run at h5 though IMO... IF the energy in SW Mexico/Baja can be kicked out finally.  Look at h5 in that are from 180 till 240... h5 rotates and sits there lol

My takeaway from the Op runs is that we have more chances past the 11/12th. Won’t have any clarity on those for awhile, but we’re certainly in the game.

• Like 4

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic