Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium/Long Range Disco Thread

yoda

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Good.  I still feel optimistic  about where this is heading and think our chances increase the further into this pattern we go. Perhaps peaking around the 20th depending on whether the blocking breaks or recycles. But unlike some I totally get @Ji.  I feel what he says in my tormented unfiltered inner weenie soul. I just try to get a grip and apply a logic filter before posting.  Most of the time!  But it’s frustrating when we’ve had so little snow lately to have to wait. But I do think this would require a pretty monumental epic fail not to get at least one hit from this pattern. 

Yup agree on all points.

9 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

It does not look like this SSW will help us wrt arctic cold.  That seems directed to Asia. But it likely will favor continued weakness on the TPV and that should help is wrt blocking. We will just have to make due with domestic cold, same as 2010. I wonder if people realize how mild we would have been straight through that whole snowmageddon period had the storms not hit.  We had one decent transient shot of cold in late Jan but after that we would have had highs near 50 had those storms not hit. Even up here all the snow from the Jan 30 and Feb 2 storms melted by the time Feb 6 happened. And even with 50” of snow otg highs were near 40 up here immediately after those 2 HECS.  It was not a cold pattern at all. Would have been avg temps if not for the snowcover. Maybe even above avg. 

Yes that is true,  the brunt of the arctic cold  seems to gather in Eurasia.  The site called stratobserve. Com has cool animations of everything related to SSWEs.  It did change course recently and targets the other side of the pole with deep cold. 

16 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

It does not look like this SSW will help us wrt arctic cold.  That seems directed to Asia. But it likely will favor continued weakness on the TPV and that should help is wrt blocking. We will just have to make due with domestic cold, same as 2010. I wonder if people realize how mild we would have been straight through that whole snowmageddon period had the storms not hit.  We had one decent transient shot of cold in late Jan but after that we would have had highs near 50 had those storms not hit. Even up here all the snow from the Jan 30 and Feb 2 storms melted by the time Feb 6 happened. And even with 50” of snow otg highs were near 40 up here immediately after those 2 HECS.  It was not a cold pattern at all. Would have been avg temps if not for the snowcover. Maybe even above avg. 

That’s interesting. We had a good 6-8” of snow everywhere here by Feb 6. Of course we got 7” on Jan 30 and 6” on Feb 2 so hanging on to half of it wasn’t hard.

Giving up based on...one event? Now I could understand if the longwave pattern wasn't looking as favorable in the LR, or if we weren't still progged to get blocking, but...panicking just because of the weekend deal? Don't quite get that...look ahead, folks! Better off letting the weekend go and letting it be a surprise if it works out.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic