Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Active mid December with multiple event potential

Typhoon Tip

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

That’s the one endorsement I wouldn’t want. Lol

It was actually a good defense by him...he said something like “that measurement in Wilmington is old school. The spotters have recently been advised to not clear every 6 hours but the top airport sites still do. The measurement is just like you’d see at an airport.”

Im paraphrasing there but he basically was talking about how it was kind of arbitrary that spotter and coop measurements all of the sudden shouldn’t clear every 6 hours. Now advised just to take peak depth on the snowboard in a 24 hour period. You can clear after 24h. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It was actually a good defense by him...he said something like “that measurement in Wilmington is old school. The spotters have recently been advised to not clear every 6 hours but the top airport sites still do. The measurement is just like you’d see at an airport.”

Im paraphrasing there but he basically was talking about how it was kind of arbitrary that spotter and coop measurements all of the sudden shouldn’t clear every 6 hours. Now advised just to take peak depth on the snowboard in a 24 hour period. You can clear after 24h. 

So what is the ‘official’ way to measure now...are we still 6hr/clear?

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

So what is the ‘official’ way to measure now...are we still 6hr/clear?

Only acceptable at a first order site now. Spotter/coop is your max depth during the storm unless it’s longer than 24h then you can clear. 

I think that’s what it is now...I feel like it changes a lot, lol. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Only acceptable at a first order site now. Spotter/coop is your max depth during the storm unless it’s longer than 24h then you can clear. 

I think that’s what it is now...I feel like it changes a lot, lol. 

I'm doing 6 hour sweep bc that is what makes sense to me. If enlightening someone with my settled depth arouses them, I'll be more than happy to make their day by adding that, though.

• Like 1

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Small events I usually just measure at the end but the big events, I’m sticking with the 6hr/clear process. In heavy rates I’ll sometimes measure every hour but won’t clear just to get a better indication of intensity. 

TBH, I think I do the same thing.

17 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'm doing 6 hour sweep bc that is what makes sense to me. If enlightening someone with my settled depth arouses them, I'll be more than happy to make their day by adding that, though.

Given the new recommendations, I think if you go with the old way , That you should also def post max depth like a  default two measurement report.

It would minimize the disbelief from the drastic differences we can see from a drawn out storm that involves fluff. I mean obviously going old school would cause measurements to stick out . I don’t really care that much but I just imagine the amount of back and forth that could be eliminated lol

I would imagine the difference could approach 30% in some Long drawn out biggies 

4 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Given the new recommendations, I think if you go with the old way , That you should also def post max depth .

It would minimize the disbelief from the drastic differences we can see from a drawn out storm that involves fluff. I mean obviously going old school would cause measurements to stick out . I don’t really care that much but I just imagine the amount of back and forth that could be eliminated lol

I would imagine the difference could approach 30% in some Long drawn out biggies 

I def. volunteered that my max depth was 25" in that March 2018 event....I remember because I made a comment that it made sense that the spotter reported a storm total snowfall of 25". He stuck the ruler in the ground after dinner at the end of the day...I know I pointed that out.

I know the spotter....we are connected on social media at this point, and that is exactly what he did. He is an elementary school teacher....good dude.

• Like 1