Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Active mid December with multiple event potential

Typhoon Tip

28 minutes ago, Hoth said:

That's the one. That storm also featured the worst static subsidence I've ever seen in Rhode Island. Some spots got almost nothing while a few miles away they were measuring in feet.

That’s  one of my top 3. Had 22” here. I kept worrying that dry slot would get back to Tol county , but instead we kept upsloping with 1-2” per hour while 8-10 miles east was dim sun 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, weathafella said:

He's been a snow weenie his entire life.  He grew up in the Bronx and we used to discuss the same storm we grew up enjoying.  

He doesn't need to get up early-works late which would have been great for me.  He loves this too much!  No many of us can get the job we've wanted since we were young kids and carry it over for a lifetime.  Harvey is maybe 1-2 years younger than me.  I remember being here (traveling from LA) about a month after the blizzard of 78.   My weenie friend, also in the same profession and I called him at the station.  The funny thing is he was early career then and was jealous of us having a sure bet career.  Great guy, incredible met-really respect the guy a lot.  

I think one of my favorite Harvey broadcasts was the day before the January 2015 blizzard. He just totally weenie’d out on the air and said something like “These are the types of storms we live for as meteorologists.” You could hear the excitement in his voice. That’s when I was thinking “he could totally do this another ten years. He still has the passion”

• Like 2
  • Weenie 2

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That’s  one of my top 3. Had 22” here. I kept worrying that dry slot would get back to Tol county , but instead we kept upsloping with 1-2” per hour while 8-10 miles east was dim sun 

It was more than 8-10 miles east, especially at your latitude, but yeah that was nuts.

2 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Yep, it was wild. Incredibly long fetch off the ocean. I think Blue Hills put up 30". ORH was up there, too.

Yeah good memory. They got absolutely pummeled. I remember mets (including myself) changed the forecast like 4-5 times. It was insane. Euro did pretty good with that storm all things considered.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I looked back on the Dec 2010 storm after Ice1972 didn’t like it... and the snow map I found was... erratic. I was in Coventry, CT.... I swear we got feet. At LEAST 20 inches. But this map shows bulk of CT with random numbers many under 6 inches... with lots of “dots and bubbles”

50 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Off hour QPF Queen run again. So weird how the off hours on euro have done this every time in this storm. 

It actually looks like the CCB is a bit more organized this run though for the second half of the storm regardless of the QPF maps. 

Do you have a map to share for us qpfq’s? On phone—thx

1 hour ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Well since the GFS nailed this storm, then i definitely trust it at 258HR

good humor but .. there is a matter of perspective.

The GFS was actually the first guidance to flag this space and time as containing an event of interest... ?  That does count.. The others caught onto the GFS' invention and ran to the accuracy bank with it.. leaving the GFS - so it seems..

I mean it does seem unlikely ..but this thing could still bust S-E and be a NYC/L.I. CT/RI and Cape thing ... You know, there were a couple of big storms in the 1985 thru 1990 ...back before modern refinement of modeling tech, where painful SE correction happened within 6 to 12 hours to go before event entry. 

Proooobably not happenin' in this day and age - no. But, this is still 3.5 to 4th period technically so ... we could bump 50 miles a run starting at 00z and suddenly the GFS is wrong for coming N - wouldn't that be an ironic kick in the nuggets. Ha...

But anyway, fthe GFS was really pretty good at D9 to 11 range... It just seems for the time being that couldn't get out of it's own progressivity bias down the stretch ...  Matter of perspective, if there is a boxing day wave in eastern N/A... that run counts as a ballsy call - 

6 minutes ago, IowaStorm05 said:

I looked back on the Dec 2010 storm after Ice1972 didn’t like it... and the snow map I found was... erratic. I was in Coventry, CT.... I swear we got feet. At LEAST 20 inches. But this map shows bulk of CT with random numbers many under 6 inches... with lots of “dots and bubbles”

That storm was awful for much of CT. Radar wound up shredded and the snow was like baking powder. Super dense and didn't add up to much. The wind was awesome though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hoth said:

That storm was awful for much of CT. Radar wound up shredded and the snow was like baking powder. Super dense and didn't add up to much. The wind was awesome though.

Same all the way through much of W MA.  Pockets of awesomeness but mostly disappointment for snow lovers.
I got 6” baking powder that was awful to clear. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

That run was a little better here. Snows into Thursday evening.

You know ?  it's almost like if the storm were a little weaker, it would be better -

hold on hold on. let me s'plain it.

If it were weaker, we could still get a 6-8" band to about the Pike with 2-6" to Rt 2/SE NH... then, the wind on the back side doesn't bend/back around into an NVA subsidence and drying ... We'd probably sustain a feeble 800 mb easterly jet with all that mid level winds still troughing underneath our latitude after the event, and we'd have another 18 hours ( probably ) of currier&ives ...or even that 1.25 mi vis saw dust you sometimes get... It would prolong the wintry vibe -

But it does seem like we get a moderate ( easily  ) to perhaps top 20 Dec event ... that clears starlight by mid evening.