• Member Statistics

    16,544
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Malcolm M
    Newest Member
    Malcolm M
    Joined
Baroclinic Zone

December 5-6, 2020 Storm Observations and Nowcast

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

92B98016-CF75-4175-A61A-BA975D477006.thumb.jpeg.1ed963b77a0a4df40e71ab8c4e3bbd7c.jpeg

Are there any people where you live ?

I bet you miss the Mid Atlantic and all the busts.

Enjoy man. Nice pic.

 

29 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Jeezuz, just suit up and go play in the yard!

Naked snow angels

16 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

To be fair, modeled 2m temps were always horrible. In SNE it was narrow bands of ideal conditions for snow in an otherwise hostile setup. 

People thought the ccb was going to bring down temps in many areas. The models did a good job with the freezing line.

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Portland......:raining:

Coast FTL

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Let’s move onto the next potential...whenever that may be lol? This was anon event here.

January 

Models look awful going forward 

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Weenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

2.5” at home. 2.76” liquid in the gauge. 
 

Probably a half inch rain before snow started mixing in. 1:1 ain’t going to cut it.

Did you have many reports from elevations or are those generally sparse ?

 Seems many in Maine Got tons of liquid but Missed warning snows by being about 500 feet Too low elevation . Just wondering what someone with another 500-800” elevation would have seen In interior SW Maine .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Are there any people where you live ?

I bet you miss the Mid Atlantic and all the busts.

Enjoy man. Nice pic.

 

Naked snow angels

People thought the ccb was going to bring down temps in many areas. The models did a good job with the freezing line.

Coast FTL

About 50 people or so live up on the hill where I am.

300 some in Randolph total. It's a very sparse area.

If you want this lifestyle, just do it, is my advice. Most people here are working class salt-of-the earth types. They are not high-rollers and most of the homes in Randolph are very modest. I live in basically the largest compound in the town. This entire area is very blue collar which was a big part of the draw for me. I love the people here and in Gorham/Berlin/Milan. Honest, hardworking people.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at radar, I am thinking 20"+ might be in play. I haven't performed diligent measuring. I am just sticking a ruler in the ground. A lot of the depth has been lost to compaction. I bet the CoCoRaHS guy down the road from me captured the lost inches. I can't wait to see his obs. I bet he has measured 15-17 already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

About 50 people or so live up on the hill where I am.

300 some in Randolph total. It's a very sparse area.

If you want this lifestyle, just do it, is my advice. Most people here are working class salt-of-the earth types. They are not high-rollers and most of the homes in Randolph are very modest. I live in basically the largest compound in the town. This entire area is very blue collar which was a big part of the draw for me. I love the people here and in Gorham/Berlin/Milan. Honest, hardworking people.

You live in a compound?  Sounds large. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, weathafella said:

Boy or girl?  None of my 3 inherited unfortunately but my 2 sons spent a lot of growing up time in California.  Enjoy every minute of parenthood!  It’s great at times, tough at other times, but if you pay attention it’s rewarding as heck!

Boy, 7 months old

Thanks for the nice words, Jerry. Yes, it's more exhausting and more magical than I had ever imagined.

I've already had my first instance of getting all ready at 12:50am to geek out over another most important Euro run of our lives, only to be drawn away because he wakes up crying. Maybe he didn't like the solution :) 

October snow was his first!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PhineasC said:

It's a sizable log estate with a large detached barn, yes. LOL

Good for you Phin.  Sounds incredibly beautiful. 

I sled in Northern Maine...maybe when I retire from teaching, I’d like to move/or at least have a second home in N. Aroostook county Maine.  Frigid and snow is what they do best there...wire to wire winter is for real there. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WinterWolf said:

Good for you Phin.  Sounds incredibly beautiful. 

I sled in Northern Maine...maybe when I retire from teaching, I’d like to move/or at least have a second home in N. Aroostook county Maine.  Frigid and snow is what they do best there...wire to wire winter is for real there. 

I have always lusted after that area. It would be a great choice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

January 

Models look awful going forward 

I saw something different. It's not a torch for the day of this month. Ups and downs. But... There are some chances of white

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

I have always lusted after that area. It would be a great choice!

Thank you.  :-).  
 

Hope you reach 20” with this...knock it out of the park dammit!!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Thank you.  :-).  
 

Hope you reach 20” with this...knock it out of the park dammit!!  

It's been piling up faster than I can recall ever seeing. Every time I walk out there it's another inch or two it seems. It's gotta be 13-15 at least now. Also blowing into huge drifts now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It's been piling up faster than I can recall ever seeing. Every time I walk out there it's another inch or two it seems. It's gotta be 13-15 at least now. Also blowing into huge drifts now.

Ahhh man, I hope we can score a big event like what you’re getting tonight this winter? 
 

I told you a few days ago...just be patient and it’ll happen.  And here you are crushing it!

Enjoy. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Good for you Phin.  Sounds incredibly beautiful. 

I sled in Northern Maine...maybe when I retire from teaching, I’d like to move/or at least have a second home in N. Aroostook county Maine.  Frigid and snow is what they do best there...wire to wire winter is for real there. 

I'll be there for a week starting tomorrow - St. Agatha

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Deck Pic said:

I'll be there for a week starting tomorrow - St. Agatha

Yup...that’s where I rent a cabin for the winter.  Right on 162..facing long lake!  Gorgeous area. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fozz said:

Better than Feb 5, 2010?

I have a poor memory for such things, but it seems to be faster in this event. In fact, I have spent some time this evening envisioning how I reached nearly 3 feet in some of those MD HECS, because this New England snow with the bands rotating "backwards" off the ocean into my backyard has been something else entirely. I think it is a duration difference between those events. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I have a poor memory for such things, but it seems to be faster in this event. In fact, I have spent some time this evening envisioning how I reached nearly 3 feet in some of those MD HECS, because this New England snow with the bands rotating "backwards" off the ocean into my backyard has been something else entirely. I think it is a duration difference between those events. 

We can get intense CCB banding down in MD too but it’s less frequent getting a storm to amplify enough that far south.  Plus we can get some pretty good WAA front end thumps too if there is a deep cold layer dammed in.  Obviously it happens way more frequently in New England. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Still snowing really hard here.

Told ya the dry slot wouldn’t make it to you. That band will start to dissipate over the next couple hours but upslope flow could keep you going for a while. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Observation from a friend in Guilford , ME that they're over a foot now and that "snowmobile trail work this fall was probably a waste of time" haha. Gonna burn through 3 gallons in the chainsaw tomorrow....

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.