Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2020 General Discussions & Observations Thread

bluewave

2 hours ago, jfklganyc said:

That is one hearty tomato plant! You should save the seeds from that thing!

28F

2 hours ago, STORMANLI said:

Snow grains 29°

My broccoli mocks me as well 

My postage stamp backyard seems to magnify the background UHI effect. There is still a clutch of red fruit almost hidden. My enterprising bushy tailed urban tree rats never got to them. Good idea with the seeds. I’d plant them in my old carcass if I thought it would work.

I should have mentioned I have an egg plant still trying to flower. Its much more polite than the tomato. Broccoli, I can understand, especially after eating. You definitely end up getting loud but certainly not sociable. As always....

Just now, rclab said:

My postage stamp backyard seems to magnify the background UHI effect. There is still a clutch of red fruit almost hidden. My enterprising bushy tailed urban tree rats never got to them. Good idea with the seeds. I’d plant them in my old carcass if I thought it would work.

I should have mentioned I have an egg plant still trying to flower. Its much more polite than the tomato. Broccoli, I can understand, especially after eating. You definitely end up getting loud but certainly not sociable. As always....

I had a back yard like that in Brooklyn that was facing SW...the house was painted white which magified the Sun in the afternoon...not to mention the reflection from the windows...you have to add on a few degrees on average for that and it made the growing season a little longer there...

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, uncle W said:

the pattern is not that great but not as bad as it could be... the game starts for me in two weeks...anything before that is an exhibition unless its something like Dec 12th 1960...

How were some of the 60's and 70s Nina's/Nino's in NYC/Long Island? Everybody seems to refer to these decades as some sort of golden age for winter lovers. There were a couple good winters up here in that time frame. 

16 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

How were some of the 60's and 70s Nina's/Nino's in NYC/Long Island? Everybody seems to refer to these decades as some sort of golden age for winter lovers. There were a couple good winters up here in that time frame. 

it wasn't bad for the driest period on record...it was a colder era which helps...Newark had at least 2" of snow on the ground Christmas morning from 1959-1963...If you use Dec 21st add in 1964...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, it looks like we are finally going to get an actual -NAO in December. But the +EPO vortex makes the Pacific unfavorable for us here.

5304F4AF-CE2C-4082-8BC3-27E4E176FAF9.thumb.png.ae53d36a612864c9d542be776b67c269.png

Yep, people are hyping a -NAO/-AO, they do you no good when you have a +EPO pumping PAC puke into Canada, all the -NAO does is capture the puke under the block....useless

2 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Yep, people are hyping a -NAO/-AO, they do you no good when you have a +EPO pumping PAC puke into Canada, all the -NAO does is capture the puke under the block....useless

The Pacific is much more important for cold & snow than the Atlantic, that's always been the case. I'd rather have a -EPO/+PNA with a +AO/NAO.

However having a -AO/NAO at least gives an accidental chance of getting snow even if the Pacific is garbage.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

I see nobody hyping it in here. If anything, you said a -nao wasn’t coming 

Just now, SnoSki14 said:

The Pacific is much more important for cold & snow than the Atlantic, that's always been the case. 

However having a -AO/NAO at least gives an accidental chance of getting snow even if the Pacific is garbage.

This. We have a better chance of getting lucky instead of no chance 

1 minute ago, Allsnow said:

I see nobody hyping it in here. If anything, you said a -nao wasn’t coming 

I didn’t say it was people in here. Please don’t get defensive, take a look at the twitter hype, hence why I said “people” and the -NAO depicted is a meh east-based one. I still seriously any sustained west-based Greenland blocked -NAO, I won’t believe it until it happens, not mirages on long range modeling

3 minutes ago, Eduardo said:

As long as the PAC isn't total hot garbage, we can cash in with a decent ATL look (which'd be a welcome return after years of awfulness).

That said, those PAC-dominated winters of 13-14 and 14-15 were among my favorites.  The only time I've experienced single-digit snow in the tri-state area.

Brutal cold that just kept reloading and reloading....2 great winters except the dry March of '15

17 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

You need some sort of ridging in the Pacific especially for you guys before Atlantic blocking. +EPO is bad for all of us. It's 43F in Winnipeg today, more than 20 degrees above average. That's the last thing any of us need for snow. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bluewave said:

It’s the type of pattern that could work for New England.

D376117A-B346-4C6E-8254-83DD24ABFD86.thumb.png.a808547b512fa933a4773fb111e026bb.png

This pattern isn't bad except for the positive epo. We just saw the gfs go from a cutter at 6z to a coastal at 12z even though it was warm.  

Many people have said mid December will be our best shot. Lets hope that's true.