• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    acibarich
    Newest Member
    acibarich

Winter 2020-21 Medium/Long Range Discussion

1 hour ago, McHenrySnow said:

Can't imagine the desire for an above normal spring. it's already going to be 80 + for three months straight, minimum. Move to Florida!

I doubt a lot of people want winter to continue into April either.

3 minutes ago, andyhb said:

I doubt a lot of people want winter to continue into April either.

You'd have to have a winter for it to extend into April. Not to mention, it's next to impossible to have sustained cold and snow in April thanks to the sun angle and longer days alone. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, McHenrySnow said:

You'd have to have a winter for it to extend into April. Not to mention, it's next to impossible to have sustained cold and snow in April thanks to the sun angle and longer days alone. 

The last 3 years had crappy April and early May. I want winter over by April 1st.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Stebo said:

The last 3 years had crappy April and early May. I want winter over by April 1st.

DTW had heavy snow to 1/8 mile on April 17th and snow on 5 days in May last year. id do it again :weenie:

• Like 1

Just now, michsnowfreak said:

DTW had heavy snow to 1/8 mile on April 17th and snow on 5 days in May last year. id do it again :weenie:

No, that kind of stuff is bad for the environment especially the snow in May.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, mimillman said:

December is turning into November, January into December, February into January, March to February, and April to March. So it goes. Deep winter is disappearing but winter itself is becoming prolonged with dogsh*t events

i would definitely not call it a trend yet, but I also mentioned recently how since our epic winter stretch ended in 2015, winters actually seem to be getting longer from start to finish with a way too long period of weak sauce during the meat of winter. Different areas of the sub have received several October and may snowfalls in recent years.

• Sad 1

Just now, michsnowfreak said:

i would definitely not call it a trend yet, but I also mentioned recently how since our epic winter stretch ended in 2015, winters actually seem to be getting longer from start to finish with a way too long period of weak sauce during the meat of winter. Different areas of the sub have received several October and may snowfalls in recent years.

Snowed twice in May in downtown Chicago last year. We’ve had accumulating snowfalls multiple times per April the past two years in a row. Halloween snow seems to have happened twice in the past 3 years and Novembers have been cold with the exception of this past one. Only trouble is DJF

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, mimillman said:

Snowed twice in May in downtown Chicago last year. We’ve had accumulating snowfalls multiple times per April the past two years in a row. Halloween snow seems to have happened twice in the past 3 years and Novembers have been cold with the exception of this past one. Only trouble is DJF

This is no joke. Last Winter Chicago had a white Halloween, and Detroit had a white mothers day. It was the very end of mothers day but it still counted lol.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, mimillman said:

It only snowed on Halloween 2019. May 2020 was slightly above normal temp-wise and April 2020 was only slightly below temp-wise. 

Yes, we had two big snows in April 2019, but the month as a whole averaged above normal temp-wise. Snow in April, even several inches, lasts for a day or two and then it's 70º again. 

Spring in the Great Lakes isn't supposed to be sustained warmth. Never has been. 

Just now, McHenrySnow said:

Yes, we had two big snows in April 2019, but the month as a whole averaged above normal temp-wise. Snow in April, even several inches, lasts for a day or two and then it's 70º again. 

Spring in the Great Lakes isn't supposed to be sustained warmth. Never has been. 

That’s not my point

Add in that April 2018 was the 4th coldest April on record.

• Sad 2

Your point is what? You have very selective memory? 

Hard to be selective when there are so many instances of continued wintry weather well into April/May the past several years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, McHenrySnow said:

Your point is what? You have very selective memory? 

I’m not arguing that April should feature sustained cold and snow, I’m arguing that it has featured abnormal, unseasonal snows the past 2 years, along with May and October.

• Like 1

I’m not arguing that April should feature sustained cold and snow, I’m arguing that it has featured abnormal, unseasonal snows the past 2 years, along with May and October.

Forgot to add in my last comment that 5 of the top 20 snowiest April’s have occurred since 2000...and 2018/2019/2020 are 3 of those 5.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, mimillman said:

No, you seem to be arguing it should be 75 and sunny every day in April and that's nonsensical. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mimillman said:

That’s not my point

no question the past few winters have had early snows, and late season snows, while the heart of winter has been blah to say the least. The past two April's have had sizable snowfalls and they are not the norm. The previous snows this late that were memorable i believe was 1961 and 1972. Accumulating snows in excess of 2" after March 15 are rare. 

Accumulating snows in excess of 2" after March 15 are rare. 

Speaking of... 

11 out of 18 April’s from 2000-2017 featured under 1” of monthly snowfall.

6 minutes ago, McHenrySnow said:

No, you seem to be arguing it should be 75 and sunny every day in April and that's nonsensical. 

Not arguing that either. Quit before this gets bad 

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, kevlon62 said:

In on that and it makes all the difference (for me).

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

We definitely don't have the snowpack Rockford has, but overall the ground remains covered in an average of probably 2" of snow/sleet with only a few patches of grass here and there and some areas deeper (like most of my backyard). I'm grateful and it's been the only saving grace. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, kevlon62 said:

In on that and it makes all the difference (for me).

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Definitely been that way here. What little snow and sleet that has fallen has stayed

41 minutes ago, McHenrySnow said:

Winter in the southern Great Lakes is also never supposed to be sustained cold and snow on the ground from November-March lol. Toronto-Detroit-Chicago are supposed to see numerous thaws with temperatures normally getting into the 50s almost every year in winter. 

I understand April will (normally) never be wall-wall 70s and sun but January is never (normally) supposed to be wall-wall 15F heavy snow and lows of 0F. 

• Like 1

Just now, mississaugasnow said:

Winter in the southern Great Lakes is also never supposed to be sustained cold and snow on the ground from November-March lol. Toronto-Detroit-Chicago are supposed to see numerous thaws with temperatures normally getting into the 50s almost every year in winter. 

I understand April will (normally) never be wall-wall 70s and sun but January is never (normally) supposed to be wall-wall 15F heavy snow and lows of 0F. 

Ummm......duh?