Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2020-21 Medium/Long Range Discussion

Hoosier

46 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

New Euro shows a nice January soaker for much of the sub for the 25-26th.  As much as I'd love to keep the snowpack I'd take that over CAD.  At least there's some storminess to watch.

So, the Euro was the next to cave to GFS. Torchy on the 25-26th. Not only there are talks of writing off the remainder of this month, but also next month. #SpringisComing

Into the long range, CVG will certainly be escaping January still with single-digit snowfall totals. CVG's last single-digit snowfall season was 2011-12.
sn10_acc.us_mw.png

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, iluvsnow said:

Despite all the head fakes, SSW's, vortex splits, high latitude blocking etc...the one constant you can take from this winter......no matter what the long range models say....persistence rules the day.....sadly. Maybe the deck finally shuffles next winter.

The system on the 26th looks like a late Dec. redo. Just no cold air available. Another couple weeks then can call this meteorological winter RIP. Can only hope nuisance snows don't show up late March and April

• Like 1

We're not the only ones scratching our heads....

IWX Office:

For early next week, attention will then turn to a progressive
pattern aloft, with the opportunity for better moisture return into
our area. This would signal mild temperatures owing to
southwesterly flow, and possibly a rain event as a surface low
tracks through the Midwest. There is a huge spread in temperature
solutions on Sunday and Monday that will need to be addressed
going forward; aimed for a middle ground at this time. Where. Is.
Winter?!

&&
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Frog Town said:

We're not the only ones scratching our heads....

IWX Office:

For early next week, attention will then turn to a progressive
pattern aloft, with the opportunity for better moisture return into
our area. This would signal mild temperatures owing to
southwesterly flow, and possibly a rain event as a surface low
tracks through the Midwest. There is a huge spread in temperature
solutions on Sunday and Monday that will need to be addressed
going forward; aimed for a middle ground at this time. Where. Is.
Winter?!

&&

my weather office counters yours and raises you one:

THE ENVELOPE OF FORECAST LOW TRACKS RANGE FROM A PATH   
NORTHWEST OF US THROUGH THE UPPER PENINSULA OF MICHIGAN TO SOUTHEAST   
OF US THROUGH OHIO RIVER VALLEY (EACH WITH DIFFERENT TIMING). SO, BE   
WEARY OF ANY PREMATURE SPECULATION OF WHAT, WHEN, AND HOW MUCH   
PRECIPITATION MAY FALL.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cary67 said:

The system on the 26th looks like a late Dec. redo. Just no cold air available. Another couple weeks then can call this meteorological winter RIP. Can only hope nuisance snows don't show up late March and April

I'm already counting on it happening. Our largest snowfall of the season will be on March 23th (channeling some Brian D.).

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Can't sugarcoat the trends on the ensembles out at the end of their ranges, not good. Hopefully they're rushing things. Either way, if pattern does revert to more hostile, highlights the importance of cashing in with the 25th-26th. I still want to believe that some of the operational runs are being too aggressive with the amped cutter look because it occurs when the west based NAO block is at its strongest. The system coming quickly on the heels of a 1035 mb high overhead and the high being close by during the precip elevates the chance for a zone of freezing rain and sleet if the synoptic system is pretty amped.

What's interesting about this winter is that I really wasn't optimistic going in. The unexpected sustained -AO/-NAO gave some hope, but thus far hasn't worked out in a beneficial way. Shows the importance of a good Pacific pattern.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Spartman said:

GDPS, as well.
sn10_acc.us_mw.png

GFS, on the other hand:

If Friday night/Saturday morning doesn't come to fruition, we may very well have to wait until at least sometime next month for low temps below 20 degrees.
image.png.b52354e93ab7320da9e026f734aa22fb.png

This tweet from BAMWX doesn't sound good.

Regardless of what happens, bamwx is a joke lol. I would take them as seriously as jb

7 hours ago, Spartman said:

So, the Euro was the next to cave to GFS. Torchy on the 25-26th. Not only there are talks of writing off the remainder of this month, but also next month. #SpringisComing

Into the long range, CVG will certainly be escaping January still with single-digit snowfall totals. CVG's last single-digit snowfall season was 2011-12.
sn10_acc.us_mw.png

Who is writing off next month?

17 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Can't sugarcoat the trends on the ensembles out at the end of their ranges, not good. Hopefully they're rushing things. Either way, if pattern does revert to more hostile, highlights the importance of cashing in with the 25th-26th. I still want to believe that some of the operational runs are being too aggressive with the amped cutter look because it occurs when the west based NAO block is at its strongest. The system coming quickly on the heels of a 1035 mb high overhead and the high being close by during the precip elevates the chance for a zone of freezing rain and sleet if the synoptic system is pretty amped.

What's interesting about this winter is that I really wasn't optimistic going in. The unexpected sustained -AO/-NAO gave some hope, but thus far hasn't worked out in a beneficial way. Shows the importance of a good Pacific pattern.

It's unreal how flip floppy and inconsistent the models are. I notice the cfs continues with its frigid February. Isn't the backing off on cold with a still active look actually better for snowstorm chances in our region?

It's unreal how flip floppy and inconsistent the models are. I notice the cfs continues with its frigid February. Isn't the backing off on cold with a still active look actually better for snowstorm chances in our region?

The CFS most definitely is not frigid.

Weeklies are mild to torchy and monthly is about average.

4 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

The CFS most definitely is not frigid.

Weeklies are mild to torchy and monthly is about average.

I'm referring to the cfs on weatherbell where you can see 4 different runs a day. Some crazy cold runs, but also with the huge flip flopping run to run it really opens your eyes to how worthless the cfs is outside of regular few week lead time. and even then

I'm only commenting on the end of the EPS and GEFS which have shown unfavorable trends last few runs. It's quite possible they're rushing things, happens in both directions with the pattern out in the extended. The best we can say is that there's still dateline ridging and still NAO blocking, but we need the ridging near AK to stay farther east. It's possible that pattern shown verbatim is active, though with a milder risk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RCNYILWX said:

Is the +EPO the poor Pacific pattern?