Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2020-21 Medium/Long Range Discussion

Hoosier

1 hour ago, Cary67 said:

Been a -AO during most of this Decembers suck fest.  Not sure tanking -NAO is great for anything but clippers and  watching storms for the lower OV and Noreasters. Could be good for downstate IL and Indiana though.

At this point I'll just take colder temps so I can at least freeze over the backyard rink

• Like 1

Been a -AO during most of this Decembers suck fest.  Not sure tanking -NAO is great for anything but clippers and  watching storms for the lower OV and Noreasters. Could be good for downstate IL and Indiana though.

Both winter 2009-10 and 2010-11 had deeply -NAOs, 09-10 pretty much wire to wire, and were good winters for Chicago. The blocking in 2011 eroded in time for GHD I. That's not a statement about how things may go here the next few weeks, but just a note to point out a -NAO can be good here.  

With respect to moving forward, the ensembles also show a +EPO look with the big NAO block (backed up by the forecast teleconnection indices), so that could help prevent it from being more torchy and *maybe* assist in keeping some systems farther south. The deep blocking may come too late to help us next week though.

13 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Both winter 2009-10 and 2010-11 had deeply -NAOs, 09-10 pretty much wire to wire, and were good winters for Chicago. The blocking in 2011 eroded in time for GHD I. That's not a statement about how things may go here the next few weeks, but just a note to point out a -NAO can be good here.  

With respect to moving forward, the ensembles also show a +EPO look with the big NAO block (backed up by the forecast teleconnection indices), so that could help prevent it from being more torchy and *maybe* assist in keeping some systems farther south. The deep blocking may come too late to help us next week though.

Becoming pretty clear that next week is another wasted week of winter here. 

15 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Interesting always thought deeply -NAOs usually had a trough position too far east of us

A SSW event for the N Hemisphere is forecast to start sometime in Jan. This will have a big impact somewhere. My outlook for this winter (in the holiday forecast thread I made), I mention the colder weather, with some some milder temps mixed in for Jan, with what looks to be very cold weather for late Jan into Feb, with Feb looking pretty cold.

https://watchers.news/2020/12/23/major-sudden-stratospheric-warming-january-2021/

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

May as well push for some futility records. But I am sure we will find a way to screw that up too. 

if you are talking about seasonal futility for Chicago...the 3rd day of astronomical winter is wayyyyyyy too early to think of that. As in, 2+ months too early. If you are simply talking "least snow thru this date" thats another story. 

1 hour ago, Cary67 said:

Interesting always thought deeply -NAOs usually had a trough position too far east of us

I don't fully understand the NAO because its a lot more gray area than the east coast. At least for big storms. Some of our big storms are +NAO, some -NAO. but it would be nice to get into a classic -NAO clipper pattern  

44 minutes ago, Brian D said:

A SSW event for the N Hemisphere is forecast to start sometime in Jan. This will have a big impact somewhere. My outlook for this winter (in the holiday forecast thread I made), I mention the colder weather, with some some milder temps mixed in for Jan, with what looks to be very cold weather for late Jan into Feb, with Feb looking pretty cold.

https://watchers.news/2020/12/23/major-sudden-stratospheric-warming-january-2021/

Interesting. The extended cfs maps which are equivalent to giving a 3 year old a crayon, are known for their constant changing from run to run (hell you can see record warmth and record cold for a certain timeframe from run to run)...but I've noticed some real cold showing up towards late January and early February. This is the dead of winter so anomalous cold will be very wintry. 

if you are talking about seasonal futility for Chicago...the 3rd day of astronomical winter is wayyyyyyy too early to think of that. As in, 2+ months too early. If you are simply talking "least snow thru this date" thats another story. 

Astronomical winter makes no difference. If ORD is sitting under 1” of snow as we head into the new year, futility watch has full steam ahead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Astronomical winter makes no difference. If ORD is sitting under 1” of snow as we head into the new year, futility watch has full steam ahead.

I suppose the longer they go without snow doesn't hurt to watch, but considering they can get snow for 4 more months, it'll be tough to do. The all time futility for Chicago is 9.8" in 1920-21.

Just now, michsnowfreak said:

I suppose the longer they go without snow doesn't hurt to watch, but considering they can get snow for 4 more months, it'll be tough to do. The all time futility for Chicago is 9.8" in 1920-21.

Futility doesn't like it when you get too greedy and look way ahead.  That's why it's better to take it as it comes.

6 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

I feel like we did something like this not terribly long ago.

Oh yeah.  We did.

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/49711-chicagos-epic-snow-drought/

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

I feel like we did something like this not terribly long ago.

Oh yeah.  We did.

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/49711-chicagos-epic-snow-drought/

And were we tracking the latest first 1” snow at ORD recently as well? If I recall, we managed to screw that up with about a week to go.