• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2020-21 Medium/Long Range Discussion

Hoosier

It remains a thread the needle setup. It's the old need a phase to work out sort of deal, which as we all know went great last winter. That said, the last two runs have had important changes toward increasing potential for a solid event. Most importantly, the northern stream wave is slower and not as strong, which allows the southern stream wave to come up and eventually phase in. 00z EPS is rolling out, so we'll see shortly how much ensemble member support the operational has.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 4

A lot of spread in the ensembles. All bets are off! 
Added more stronger SLP members farther south than 18z EPS so roughly 2 clusters within that increasingly large spread. The northern cluster is still favored slightly more, probably tied to the key question of the northern stream short-wave.

Due to the difficulty of getting a proper phase like depicted on the 00z Euro and some of the EPS members, think it's a lower probability outcome but still worth tracking because it's all we got.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, RCNYILWX said:

It remains a thread the needle setup. It's the old need a phase to work out sort of deal, which as we all know went great last winter. That said, the last two runs have had important changes toward increasing potential for a solid event. Most importantly, the northern stream wave is slower and not as strong, which allows the southern stream wave to come up and eventually phase in. 00z EPS is rolling out, so we'll see shortly how much ensemble member support the operational has.

Given the obvious caveat that phased setups are hard, I think we're making real progress with the wave digging/troughing on the west coast by D3/4 with a few models starting to get that look. If that's a real trend and we avoid cutoff hell, I think chances for an event in the sub go way up. Another minor positive that really only matters if a storm happens but there is actual cold air available for this one if it wraps up.

• Like 4

Given the obvious caveat that phased setups are hard, I think we're making real progress with the wave digging/troughing on the west coast by D3/4 with a few models starting to get that look. If that's a real trend and we avoid cutoff hell, I think chances for an event in the sub go way up. Another minor positive that really only matters if a storm happens but there is actual cold air available for this one if it wraps up.
Need this post on the potential event thread.

• Like 1

Teleconnections are really not super favorable through the rest of the month and into early Jan.

The PNA regime that has been in place the that past month+ is going to continue, and not be of any help.

Will be a continued pattern that you have to hope for a thread the needle setup, such as the Christmas potential. Otherwise it's more of a pattern that would support a hybrid-like system or continued Northeast/Eastern Lakes potential.