• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2020-21 Medium/Long Range Discussion

Hoosier

the 24/25 window really isn't looking that promising, still time for improvement but looking like 2021 here we come
Yep it's thread the needle but since literally the only threat in the extended, gonna stay interested. Also, a white Christmas would be a bonus with how depressing it is around here otherwise in December, especially this year. 12z EPS looks a bit better than previous 12z and 00z runs and starting to see an uptick in 24 probs of accumulating snow, owing to increased member support.

The GEM and GFS in that timeframe show how we can easily get hosed if northern stream is dominant and too progressive. It's safer to bet that the pieces won't come together.

On a positive closing note for the possible setup, the antecedent air mass will probably be bad like this weekend, but the incoming air mass looks to be legitimately cold.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Boston is wayyy better than NYC. A big dog is always better than anything else, there's no denying that. the very paltry snow amounts in between is why the east coast for a winter lover would suck from NYC south. Thats my take. Bostons run from late Jan to late Feb 2015 was unlike anything, even in a snowbelt. even that far north on the coast isn't all fun though...theyve also had 4 winters the last 20 years with 17" or less total snowfall. The past 2 winters COMBINED in Boston come out to an inch less than the yearly average, thats why you have New England meltdowns. every weenie regardless the climate is very "what have you done for me lately".

This is some impressive stuff right here...

Avg snowfall

Detroit 

1900-1999: 39.1"

2000-2020: 47.1"

Chicago 

1900-1999: 36.6"

2000-2020: 39.9"

New York City

1900-1999: 26.3"

2000-2020: 31.6"

Boston

1900-1999: 41.0"

2000-2020: 47.9"

To add to what you said. Big Dog's just aren't frequent in our area because of our geographic location. With the Atlantic running exceptionally warm over the last 10-20 years, the average clipper usually blows up to a full blown Nor'easter and slams the NE including Boston. New England meltdowns are hilarious. Even a 40" winter wouldn't satisfy their appetite. :lol:. But great points. I always appreciate your in-depth analysis and posts. I could tell you're a hardcore stats guy so I try not to challenge you on anything stat wise. 

Detroit and Boston have definitely seen a sizeable increase in snowfall over the last 20 years compared to other cities. But 20 years is a very small sample size. The averages, atleast for us, are bolstered by exceptionally snowy winters like 2002-03, 2004-05, 2007-08, 2008-09, 2013-14, etc. Would be nice to experience storms like the Blizzard of 99 every 2-3 years. Is that too much to ask for? We need a Christmas miracle. 

• Like 2

I'm getting concerned about the sun angle once we do get some snow in February. Sidenote: if there was ever a time to ride the Bastardi "rubberband theory" it is now....summary; the weather will only pull so far in one direction for so long (warm/dry) before the band has to snap back even farther in the other direction(cold/wet)...not sure this applies in today's modern world of climate change where places like Chicago could become the Mojave desert in time. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 2