Total Members
    Most Online
    corvairbob
    Newest Member
    corvairbob

October Discobs 2020

39 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I'll take it.

Just about at 3" for the month so far, which is actually dry compared to the previous 3 months.

I have also scored relatively well with rainfall. Grass is green and lush. Tomorrow AM.looks like junior league Jebb walk weather.  Looking forward to a walk with my greyhound trying on his new European sweater. 

• Like 1

This was a surprise for my area, updated at 9:30 PM from MH AFD.

With this update, have expanded the Frost Advisory to all counties
where the growing season remains active, save for Philadelphia and
Delaware Counties and the coastal strip. While the odds of frost
will decrease closer to the urban corridor, there is enough
potential in the more outlying areas to warrant an advisory
throughout the CWA. Also, some areas within the advisory may get
down to freezing, but not expecting it to be widespread enough to
warrant a Freeze Warning in areas where the growing season remains
active.

7 minutes ago, JakkelWx said:

First frost, 35 degrees

I am sure there is some frost out in the open areas around here, but tucked back in the woods it's 37. The trees radiate a decent amount of heat still.

Too bad the air mass wasn't a bit drier.

38.1 here. Looks like some frost did happen. House is chilly. Didn’t have the heat on and thermo said 65

Got down to 34 in Reisterstown with frost in the cars and porch rails. Nada on the ground. 

Looking ahead we go significantly above normal later this week. Anyone with flowers that did not have meaningful frost damage  look to hang around deep into the month.  Huge storm off the coast late week.  but a phasing opportunity is lessening. 

9 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Dewpoints rising and a south wind starting.  It'll be tough to get close to this mornings 32 . I'm thinking 36 - 38 . 

34 this morning 

32 yesterday morning 

Got down to 32.9.  I get strange looks from everyone when I get excited about frost. Who doesn’t love frost?

3 hours ago, frd said:

Looking ahead we go significantly above normal later this week. Anyone with flowers that did not have meaningful frost damage  look to hang around deep into the month.  Huge storm off the coast late week.  but a phasing opportunity is lessening. 

I covered by cherished lantanas to hold on to them for a while longer.  We got to 37 and had light frost, mostly on roofs and cars.  Garden looks good for a while longer.  Could use some rain though!

• Like 1

Just now, losetoa6 said:

Pretty impressive cold for fall invading the Northern plains to the gulf coast day 8-10 per Euro.  Winter is coming :snowing:

Cold Halloween?  I want to see a white Halloween before I leave this earth..here I mean.  

57 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Cold Halloween?  I want to see a white Halloween before I leave this earth..here I mean.  

It would definitely modify verbatim as it came east but nice to see .

5 hours ago, BristowWx said:

Just install a foam suppression system in your yard! :P

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, nj2va said:

Looking forward to the warm temps this week...I’d never turn down upper 70s and sun in October.  

From my weenie perspective, upper 70s in October mean we might get exciting weather with the next front so I'm on board:twister:

• Like 1

Interesting... did not know this was coming 

https://www.weather.gov/lwx/GarrettCecilTransfer

Transfer of NWS Forecast and Warning Services for Maryland's Garrett and Cecil Counties to NWS Baltimore/Washington Effective November 10, 2020

Beginning Tuesday, November 10, 2020, at 7:00 AM EST, the National Weather Service (NWS) will transfer all warning and forecast responsibilities for Garrett and Cecil counties, MD, from NWS Pittsburgh (Garrett) and NWS Philadelphia (Cecil), to NWS Baltimore/Washington.  If November 10th  is deemed a Critical Weather Day, the change will be postponed one week to Tuesday November 17th.

This change is being implemented in coordination with the Maryland Emergency Management Agency, Garrett County Emergency Management, and Cecil County Department of Emergency Services.  This change will enable the NWS to provide more efficient weather services to the State of Maryland by having a single NWS office provide forecast and warning services for all of western Maryland and the entire Interstate 95 corridor within Maryland. 

Those who have software to decode or process NWS forecasts and warnings for Garrett and Cecil will need to change the origination office code from PHI (Philadelphia) or PBZ (Pittsburgh), to LWX (Baltimore/Washington). More information on that is described in the Service Change Notice issued on April 29, and linked here. This change will be transparent to NOAA Weather Radio users.

For river level forecasts, there will be no changes for Garrett County. NWS Baltimore/Washington has, and will continue to provide river level forecasts and warnings for the North Branch of the Potomac River at Kitzmiller, Maryland (KITM2) in Garrett County.  For Cecil County, NWS Baltimore/Washington will assume responsibility for river forecasts and warnings for the Susquehanna River at Conowingo Dam (CNWM2), as well as tidal forecasts and warnings for the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal at Chesapeake City (CHCM2).

Those in Garrett and Cecil Counties with social media interests should add the NWS Baltimore/Washington Twitter link @NWS_BaltWash and Facebook page NWSBaltWash.  The local office webpage for the two counties will become https://www.weather.gov/lwx.   The public phone number for NWS Baltimore/Washington is 703-996-2200. Note that this phone number is planned to change by the end of the year due to an upcoming change in our phone system. More information about that will be forthcoming.

Any questions on this change can be directed to Chris Strong, Warning Coordination Meteorologist with the NWS Baltimore/Washington Weather Forecast Office at [email protected]