LostInSomers
    Newest Member
    LostInSomers

Fall Banter and General Discussion

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

First call, Phin is first in line calling for his Momma

Randoph, NH must avenge 130-140?

8 hours ago, PhineasC said:

The CoCoRaHS site in my sig averaged 185" over the past 10 years.

That’s almost too much haha. I remember being sick of the snow by the end of 14-15. Blasphemous I know. Now I can’t buy a good storm. 

• Like 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Nah we want to be buried into March. Then 80 in Napril. Not too much to ask. 

Can we order this up now and beat the holiday rush?  

Thanks in advance.

Skiing is a hobby for Phin, so no need to rush spring up there. Some of the best skiing is during March and early April with the mountains draped in an entire winter's worth of snow pack.......and also when you don't have to bundle up like you are Shackleton on an Antarctica expedition.

March and (in many years) early April is what Ginxy and I have long called "the best open secret in New England" for skiing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

First call, Phin is first in line calling for his Momma

Especially when he gets his plowing bill every month.

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

About $80 a plow is what the guy says he charges. I have no way to know if that is a good price or not...

It's a solid quarter mile of driveway with a loop and a big open area that needs to be cleared. Seemed reasonable.

• Like 1

Just now, PhineasC said:

About $80 a plow is what the guy says he charges. I have no way to know if that is a good price or not...

It's a solid quarter mile of driveway with a loop and a big open area that needs to be cleared. Seemed reasonable.

For that length of driveway, That don't sound bad, I'm sure if its the same guy that's been doing it he knows enough to start by pushing the first snow storm well back so you don't end up out of room or have to have someone come in with a front end loader to move piles, Sometimes a problem with folks NW of here.

• Like 1

Just now, dryslot said:

For that length of driveway, That don't sound bad, I'm sure if its the same guy that's been doing it he knows enough to start by pushing the first snow storm well back so you don't end up out of room or have to have someone come in with a front end loader to move piles, Sometimes a problem with folks NW of here.

Yeah, he said that he tries to maneuver the snow and stay on top of it so that doesn't happen. Apparently they did need to bring in front loaders a few times in the past when they had nowhere else to put the snow. We will see how it goes this winter, obviously I have never dealt with anything remotely like this.

14 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I would be more worried about my heating bill there. Looks like propane is $2.80 a gallon in that area. Wait until he experiences his furnace running 24/7 when its -25 out. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BrianW said:

I would be more worried about my heating bill there. Looks like propane is $2.80 a gallon in that area. Wait until he experiences his furnace running 24/7 when its -25 out. 

We have a hot water fuel oil boiler system. Hopefully it will be decently efficient, but yeah we are expecting a big bill.

9 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah, he said that he tries to maneuver the snow and stay on top of it so that doesn't happen. Apparently they did need to bring in front loaders a few times in the past when they had nowhere else to put the snow. We will see how it goes this winter, obviously I have never dealt with anything remotely like this.

Tell the plow guy to push the first one back to the base of Mt Crescent, That should give you plenty of room.............:lol:

4 minutes ago, greenmtnwx said:

Will, you are the master of pinpointing average snowfall. Maybe you could give me your number on my cabin?

I forget where you are....pretty close to Mt. Snow or Stratton, right?

Snowfall is pretty variable around there so I'd need to know which town and which side of that town. Like the western side of Wardsboro above 1300-1400 feet is probably 120-130 while eastern side lower down is maybe 90-100. Similar results in Jamaica and Dover.

The West Wardsboro coop averaged 117" when they were in commission from 1978-2011 and they were at 1400 feet. A lot of dogshit years in the 1980s too, so their longterm average is probably a bit higher in the 125-130 range would be my guess.

29 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

That's a good price for a driveway that long....whats the threshold for plowing though? If it's like 2 inches, then you might have a lot of plow bills.....lol.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Skiing is a hobby for Phin, so no need to rush spring up there. Some of the best skiing is during March and early April with the mountains draped in an entire winter's worth of snow pack.......and also when you don't have to bundle up like you are Shackleton on an Antarctica expedition.

March and (in many years) early April is what Ginxy and I have long called "the best open secret in New England" for skiing.

March and April are by far the best ski months.  Even May for skinning and corn laps on the man-made routes with sunshine until like 7pm.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

That's a good price for a driveway that long....whats the threshold for plowing though? If it's like 2 inches, then you might have a lot of plow bills.....lol.

They said they are there every day in some patterns.  I guess if I leave to much snow the lower layer freezes solid and slick and becomes really hard to remove. 

37 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

$80 a plow?!  The frequency will bankrupt you.

You want that guy to stay away anytime there is less than 6” on that thing.  Do you have a truck?  Might be best to just buy a plow there... or get some used tractor with one.

The inches thing for plowing is tough... you’ll often see J.Spin or I refer to times when it just isn’t worth it cause it snowed 5-6” but with 0.2” water and it’ll blow away under your car as you drive out.

Too bad you can’t do it by liquid equivalent up in NNE, lol.  That’s really what matters for plowing over the inches.  Don’t want to lay down $80 for leaf blower style snow drifting down off that ridge behind you to the NW.

Just now, PhineasC said:

They said they are there every day in some patterns.  I guess if I leave to much snow the lower layer freezes solid and slick and becomes really hard to remove. 

Yeah that's tough if you leave it be too....you end up with a slab of ice like 3-6 inches thick if you just let is pack down. Turns into a glacier. If you start spending full winters there in the future, you might as well invest in getting a plow yourself....you can probably get a good one for a snowy climate like that put on your truck/SUV for about 3k. Prob would pay for itself within 2 winters, lol.

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

So it’s going to get packed down and icy anyway.  Our driveway and parking area will have 8” of solid ice on it by the end of the winter and that’s with a 3” rule... guy doesn’t touch it or get paid for anything under that.

When it thaws you won’t be able to walk on your driveway without crampons lol.  Buy some of those things that go over your boots like snow chains.  I’m serious, you’ll be sliding under your car holding onto the mirrors and doors at multiple points just trying to walk on it.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

You want that guy to stay away anytime there is less than 6” on that thing.  Do you have a truck?  Might be best to just buy a plow there... or get some used tractor with one.

The inches thing for plowing is tough... you’ll often see J.Spin or I refer to times when it just isn’t worth it cause it snowed 5-6” but with 0.2” water and it’ll blow away under your car as you drive out.

Too bad you can’t do it by liquid equivalent up in NNE, lol.  That’s really what matters for plowing over the inches.  Don’t want to lay down $80 for leaf blower style snow drifting down off that ridge behind you to the NW.

Yeah, I figured I will get a winter under my belt and then see if I can tackle it myself. I just have no basis for what to expect this winter. 

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah this.

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah, I figured I will get a winter under my belt and then see if I can tackle it myself. I just have no basis for what to expect this winter. 

You are probably similar to the base of the ski area here... the plow guys are up here daily clearing the home sites and parking lots.  I bet they honestly average 4-5 days per week in mid-winter.

Also, buy everyone in your family some variation of this that will go over their boots if you want to walk on your driveway...like snow chains for your feet.  We get them provided at the ski area for walking around: https://www.amazon.com/Yaktrax-Walk-Traction-Cleats-Walking/dp/B01LJ6FX3C

A lot of guys will plow for a seasonal rate and not "by the storm" and that might be cheaper too....I've had a lot of clients over the years that were plow guys/companies.

They will often charge a seasonal rate but then might charge extra over a certain amount of snow. That's when I often had to do forensic reporting for them....someone would claim to the plow guy they got 75" of snow instead of 110" and the contract stated anything over 80" would have extra charges....so they'd try and claim they didn't go over 80", LOL.

Phin may just want to buy a snow cat so he can go up the driveway and check the mail. LOL. It just sounds like the driveway has no way to avoid becoming a glacier. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I was going to suggest to him to find an old beater with a plow plus a mid size tractor with a bucket but i didn't know how much of the time he is going to be there, It will pretty much snow everyday there during the winter so if its the 2" threshold, That will end up rivaling the heat bill...............:yikes:

3 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I was going to suggest to him to find an old beater with a plow but i didn't know how much of the time he is going to be there, It will pretty much snow everyday there during the winter so if its the 2" threshold, That will end up rivaling the heat bill...............:yikes:

If I was spending almost every day up there in the winter, I'd just find a heavy duty hydraulic plow for 3k or something and slap it onto the front of a truck....I might even buy an old used pickup just for the plow stuff. Guess he can see how the first winter goes....then decide, lol.

30 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

So it’s going to get packed down and icy anyway.  Our driveway and parking area will have 8” of solid ice on it by the end of the winter and that’s with a 3” rule... guy doesn’t touch it or get paid for anything under that.

When it thaws you won’t be able to walk on your driveway without crampons lol.  Buy some of those things that go over your boots like snow chains.  I’m serious, you’ll be sliding under your car holding onto the mirrors and doors at multiple points just trying to walk on it.

That happened to my father down here in one of the early 90s winters. He was stuck under his car holding on to the edge, took him half an hour to feed himself.