• Member Statistics

    16,281
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Treyfish
    Newest Member
    Treyfish
    Joined
Baroclinic Zone

Fall Banter and General Discussion

Recommended Posts

Buddy of mine goes on these seafood runs on occasion, I can usually 5-10lbs of fresh Haddock $5.50/lb and 10lb’s bay scallops $7.50/lb
D6E248F2-3F49-4C38-AF87-DCDE17E11433.thumb.jpeg.a05d64ae56eabc650dd3ea5144842173.jpeg
Oh man. You guys can tell me about operational GFS runs. Can I tell you about $7.50/lb bay scallops

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the sea scallops...the bay scallops are too small for me. I’ll maybe eat them if they are an appetizer at a party or something. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Living in Md I always found the seafood satisfactory going north up through the northeast but it's going south especially Carolina's on south that the locals just fry everything and it's good luck finding a broiled crab cake, steamed anything . It's hard to  top Maryland's overall seafood experience imo.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Buddy of mine goes on these seafood runs on occasion, I can usually 5-10lbs of fresh Haddock $5.50/lb and 10lb’s bay scallops $7.50/lb

D6E248F2-3F49-4C38-AF87-DCDE17E11433.jpeg

I could live off that combo right there.  Scallops and haddock?  Game on.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

My mom used to make a great bay scallop dish.  I never learned the recipe though.  So many regrets

That sucks, If she is/was like my mom, She kept recipe's in her head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dryslot said:

That sucks, If she is/was like my mom, She kept recipe's in her head.

Yeah. Pretty much. She taught cooking classes to adults for many years.  Kept our family of 10 well fed on my dad’s public school teacher’s salary.   
I wish I had her recipes. But they weren’t written down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

The early rapid tests could pop a false positive due to cross reactivity with other similar coronavirus’. The newer one is pretty specific. My opinion is that if you are positive on the rapid test, there’s enough virus to have symptoms and be contagious. 
The estimate to test every person 3 times a week with the rapid test would cost 7 billion a week. That 200 billion for 6 months. That’s peanuts compared to what we spent and will spend on Covid relief money. 
 

Like I posted before, companies are just following state guidelines. The state says you have to have a PCR test in order to not quarantine for 2 weeks. 

WOW the corona virus is a cash cow.. I think they are expediting the vaccines because they are scared people will get bored and it will just go away.. I am also thinking the majority of people in the northeast have already been inoculated.. so they gotta do a big push for testing and vaccine to squeeze out a couple trillion more dollars on this one.. you know.. get when the gettins still good

  • Like 1
  • Weenie 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I do not eat any seafood. The smell and taste makes me nauseous. I caught a catfish with my grandfather on Lake Hopatcong in NJ where u spent every summer at their house as a kid. My grandfather skinned it and we ate it for dinner after my grandmother who was an unbelievable cook , fried it up for. I can remember this like it happened two minutes ago. I took one bite and swallowed and gagged immediately and threw up. Seafood to me is nasty. Enjoy it though to those that like it 
Pretty much same for me. I'll eat some fish like haddock and salmon. Other seafood like clams, scallops are a no-go. It's more of a texture thing. Like a big chewy snot in my mouth. Sorry if I ruined anyone's late night dinner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lava Rock said:
1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:
I do not eat any seafood. The smell and taste makes me nauseous. I caught a catfish with my grandfather on Lake Hopatcong in NJ where u spent every summer at their house as a kid. My grandfather skinned it and we ate it for dinner after my grandmother who was an unbelievable cook , fried it up for. I can remember this like it happened two minutes ago. I took one bite and swallowed and gagged immediately and threw up. Seafood to me is nasty. Enjoy it though to those that like it 

Pretty much same for me. I'll eat some fish like haddock and salmon. Other seafood like clams, scallops are a no-go. It's more of a texture thing. Like a big chewy snot in my mouth. Sorry if I ruined anyone's late night dinner

So i guess raw oysters would be out??    :lol:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lava Rock said:
1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:
I do not eat any seafood. The smell and taste makes me nauseous. I caught a catfish with my grandfather on Lake Hopatcong in NJ where u spent every summer at their house as a kid. My grandfather skinned it and we ate it for dinner after my grandmother who was an unbelievable cook , fried it up for. I can remember this like it happened two minutes ago. I took one bite and swallowed and gagged immediately and threw up. Seafood to me is nasty. Enjoy it though to those that like it 

Pretty much same for me. I'll eat some fish like haddock and salmon. Other seafood like clams, scallops are a no-go. It's more of a texture thing. Like a big chewy snot in my mouth. Sorry if I ruined anyone's late night dinner

All of it barf out.. gag me with a spoon 

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Raw oysters with a bit of horseradish and cocktail sauce are great. I went to Matuneck over the summer and had a dozen.

I usually hit up J's Oysters in the old port up here, Oysters are one of my favorites, I could sit there and just eat a bushel of them.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tunafish said:

If y'all start talking about eating my kin I am out of this thread so fast.  Scallops, oysters, fine. 

You start talking about that dolphin-safe?  Peace.

You can tune a piano but you can't tune a fish

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great fuking night for the gas valve on the lower deck of the house heating unit to shit the bed, me being crippled and unable to take it out ànd fix it is frustrating as hell. Calling gas man in the AM' cha fukinching

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Great fuking night for the gas valve on the lower deck of the house heating unit to shit the bed, me being crippled and unable to take it out ànd fix it is frustrating as hell. Calling gas man in the AM' cha fukinching

No heat then?    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are nantucket bay scallops. I paid wholesale $30/lb as a special for Thanksgiving.  I ended up bringing 1 lb home for myself. They most certainly were on the first thanksgiving meal.  They are like candy. See how dry they are, no water added.  A lot of people eat these raw.  I could talk for days about wet vs dry scallops. Bay vs Seas

Here's a retail price

https://fultonfishmarket.com/fresh-nantucket-bay-scallops.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAnvj9BRA4EiwAuUMDf6dWv-zXhED5K-H_iXqZifHLQORjjOyhz8IVvEFkPvej1TRytLP2fBoC5K4QAvD_BwE 

capturebay.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, amarshall said:

These are nantucket bay scallops. I paid wholesale $30/lb as a special for Thanksgiving.  I ended up bringing 1 lb home for myself. They most certainly were on the first thanksgiving meal.  They are like candy. See how dry they are no water added.  A lot of people eat these raw.  I could talk for days about wet vs dry scallops. Bay vs Seas

Here's a retail price

https://fultonfishmarket.com/fresh-nantucket-bay-scallops.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAnvj9BRA4EiwAuUMDf6dWv-zXhED5K-H_iXqZifHLQORjjOyhz8IVvEFkPvej1TRytLP2fBoC5K4QAvD_BwE 

capturebay.JPG

Nice, I could eat those right now hah ha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, mreaves said:

 

Same with maple syrup from VT.  It just tastes better than the stuff from trees in other states and provinces.

Probably just my bias, but I lean toward the stuff sold by Parks and Lands at State Parks - it's tapped on the BPL tract we manage at Oquossoc Bald Mountain,  a tract that holds some wonderful personal memories, including a trip to the summit with 6 grandkids and their dad 11 days ago.

As for seafood, I like all that I've tried.  Sushi is fine but for me, cooked is better.  Pickled herring on crackers is great.  Octopus is okay but mainly as a chewing exercise.  Among freshwater critters, catfish, landlocked salmon and lake whitefish top my menu.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

Raw oysters with a bit of horseradish and cocktail sauce are great. I went to Matuneck over the summer and had a dozen.

Have never tried raw oysters - I'd probably like them but would prefer them cooked, same as my mussel preference.  (And smoked mussels are incredibly tasty.)  Had cherrystones on the half shell many years ago - circa 1970.  Ate the 1st one plain - mild fish/sea-aroma taste.  Then my boss (4th of July picnic was at his home) suggested adding Tabasco, nearly enough to float the meat - tongue was numb for about 3 weeks. 
Though my wife is 2nd gen Norwegian-American we've not tried lutefisk (which I've read is eaten more often in the upper Midwest than in Norge) and I'd guess I'd like the taste but not be a fan of the texture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VT gov going overboard a bit requiring all kids returning to school after TDay to be asked if they went anywhere other than their house for TDay. If so, you have to quarantine for 10 days or take covid test. I'd tell the school to mind their own business.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

VT gov going overboard a bit requiring all kids returning to school after TDay to be asked if they went anywhere other than their house for TDay. If so, you have to quarantine for 10 days or take covid test. I'd tell the school to mind their own business.

Maybe say they've stayed at home, along with the 17 guests from Newark, NJ.  :o

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

VT gov going overboard a bit requiring all kids returning to school after TDay to be asked if they went anywhere other than their house for TDay. If so, you have to quarantine for 10 days or take covid test. I'd tell the school to mind their own business.

Seems reasonable to me to ask.  Vermont requires vaccinations for kids to go to school so why not ask if they have engaged in the sort of behavior the government is asking Vermonters not to do this weekend because the Vermont data the govt is relying on is showing that 70% of the cases are occurring here due to such gatherings.  If the parents are going to not follow the State guidance, they have at least been given fair warning that they should keep the kids home or have 5 days to train them how to lie when asked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.