• Member Statistics

    16,251
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Mindlesssheep
    Newest Member
    Mindlesssheep
    Joined
Baroclinic Zone

Fall Banter and General Discussion

Recommended Posts

Just now, Rjay said:

Considering all the death I've seen and having coworkers vented, it was a moderate case.  

Yikes, well sounds like you have been in a bit of an epicenter for COVID.

Every single person I know who has gotten the virus had the smell/taste thing and some fatigue, that was it. We all have had different experiences. Based on mine, your infection sounds like it was really nasty. Serious breathing issues is a major complication.

We did have one distant relation who was very, very ill with heart failure and cancer die with COVID as a complication, but he was in really bad shape already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yikes, well sounds like you have been in a bit of an epicenter for COVID.

Every single person I know who has gotten the virus had the smell/taste thing and some fatigue, that was it. We all have had different experiences. Based on mine, your infection sounds like it was really nasty. Serious breathing issues is a major complication.

We did have one distant relation who was very, very ill with heart failure and cancer die with COVID as a complication, but he was in really bad shape already.

Half my place is inpatient rehab.  The other half is a nusing home.   A lot of this took place in March and April in my area.  

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Rjay said:

Considering all the death I've seen and having coworkers vented, it was a moderate case.  

Holy smokes!  We don’t even know anyone in NW MA that has had it.   6 positives in Franklin Co this week.  One hospitalization. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BrianW said:

@dendrite I am involved with the land trust here and we just got approval to start planting the blight resistant American Chestnut. A couple hundred saplings are going in this spring. 

To restore this beloved tree, we will need every tool available. It’s taken 26 years of research involving a team of more than 100 university scientists and students here at the not-for-profit American Chestnut Research and Restoration Project, but we’ve finally developed a nonpatented, blight-resistant American chestnut tree.

Nice. So these are the GMO "Darling" trees from Suny-ESF? As far as I know those weren't given the government approval yet, but maybe they know more than what has been publicly released yet. If so, that's awesome news. I actually purchased a bunch of seeds online this fall and I have them stratifying in the fridge now. Come spring I'll directly plant the seeds and let them freely root their taproot on their own.

If anyone is around me and wants a few let me know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Nice. So these are the GMO "Darling" trees from Suny-ESF? As far as I know those weren't given the government approval yet, but maybe they no more than what has been publicly released yet. If so, that's awesome news. I actually purchased a bunch of seeds online this fall and I have them stratifying in the fridge now. Come spring I'll directly plant the seeds and let them freely root their taproot on their own.

If anyone is around me and wants a few let me know.

I see a lot of the chestnut when I inspect older houses, great versatile wood, was great for building and burning. Would love to see it make a comeback.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BrianW said:

@dendrite I am involved with the land trust here and we just got approval to start planting the blight resistant American Chestnut. A couple hundred saplings are going in this spring. 

To restore this beloved tree, we will need every tool available. It’s taken 26 years of research involving a team of more than 100 university scientists and students here at the not-for-profit American Chestnut Research and Restoration Project, but we’ve finally developed a nonpatented, blight-resistant American chestnut tree.

Were those trees developed thru crossbreeding with Chinese chestnut or by lab work?  (Just curious, and hoping the resistance is permanent and many get planted.)

If American chestnuts can avoid all wounds they are fairly resistant.  Unfortunately, wounds are part of every tree's life.  There used to be a very attractive grove next to the Maine Forest Service entomology lab in Augusta.  Planted in 1969, by the mid 1990s they were 65' tall and arrow straight - oldtimers said they were the best representatives of pre-blight chestnuts they'd seen.  Then came Jan. 1998 and many broken branches; all those trees were dead 2 years later.  

I see a lot of the chestnut when I inspect older houses, great versatile wood, was great for building and burning. Would love to see it make a comeback.

The NNJ lake community where I lived 1950-71 began in 1930 as a seasonal place, and the first dozen or so cabins were built from American chestnut hulks remaining from when the blight had gone thru there in the teens.  Most of those cabins remain and are lived in, but the one where my (future) wife lived was several owners later remodeled with contemporary siding.   Booo! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Nice. So these are the GMO "Darling" trees from Suny-ESF? As far as I know those weren't given the government approval yet, but maybe they know more than what has been publicly released yet. If so, that's awesome news. I actually purchased a bunch of seeds online this fall and I have them stratifying in the fridge now. Come spring I'll directly plant the seeds and let them freely root their taproot on their own.

If anyone is around me and wants a few let me know.

I don't know the full details but they appear to be the Suny- ESF ones. It sounds like they got the go ahead to start planting them this spring. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Were those trees developed thru crossbreeding with Chinese chestnut or by lab work?  (Just curious, and hoping the resistance is permanent and many get planted.)

If American chestnuts can avoid all wounds they are fairly resistant.  Unfortunately, wounds are part of every tree's life.  There used to be a very attractive grove next to the Maine Forest Service entomology lab in Augusta.  Planted in 1969, by the mid 1990s they were 65' tall and arrow straight - oldtimers said they were the best representatives of pre-blight chestnuts they'd seen.  Then came Jan. 1998 and many broken branches; all those trees were dead 2 years later.  

I see a lot of the chestnut when I inspect older houses, great versatile wood, was great for building and burning. Would love to see it make a comeback.

The NNJ lake community where I lived 1950-71 began in 1930 as a seasonal place, and the first dozen or so cabins were built from American chestnut hulks remaining from when the blight had gone thru there in the teens.  Most of those cabins remain and are lived in, but the one where my (future) wife lived was several owners later remodeled with contemporary siding.   Booo! 

https://acf.org/our-community/news/new-genetically-engineered-american-chestnut-will-help-restore-decimated-iconic-tree/

It appears to be these. I guess approval was granted. 99.9% genetically identical to the original chestnuts here. The big concern I think was gmo trees being used by private companies. It sounds like they got the go ahead as long as they are non profit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New England all quarantined up now with today’s Mass update removing NH and ME from the safe list.

From Boston.com:

Massachusetts residents planning to visit family in New Hampshire and Maine this Thanksgiving will be required to quarantine for two weeks or have proof of a negative COVID-19 test upon their return, according to the latest change of the state’s out-of-state travel rules — and the same goes for visitors from two those states coming here for the holiday.

As local officials urge residents against traveling at all for Thanksgiving amid the surge in coronavirus cases this fall, a spokesperson for the state’s COVID-19 Command Center told Boston.com that Massachusetts will remove New Hampshire and Maine from its list of lower-risk states effective Saturday.

That means individuals visiting or returning from those states are now required to self-quarantine for 14 days or have proof of a negative COVID-19 test from within the prior 72 hours upon arriving in Massachusetts. Failure to comply may result in a $500 fine per day.
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BrianW said:

https://acf.org/our-community/news/new-genetically-engineered-american-chestnut-will-help-restore-decimated-iconic-tree/

It appears to be these. I guess approval was granted. 99.9% genetically identical to the original chestnuts here. The big concern I think was gmo trees being used by private companies. It sounds like they got the go ahead as long as they are non profit. 

Yeah it must be the Darling named GMO trees then. I think they only had to change a few genes out of the 40k in the genome. The added gene produces oxalate oxidase (OxO) which neutralizes the oxalic acid that is produced by the blight fungus. So the fungus can actually exist on the trees without the acid being formed to kill it. And the gene is found naturally in wheat and bananas and other plants already. I think there's another marker gene in there for identifying which seeds actually have the resistant gene. So really it's like 99.999% or better.

https://www.esf.edu/chestnut/about.asp

Here's my seeds that came in. They are way smaller than the Chinese ones you can find in grocery stores right now.

037A7391-A1A3-46BA-995F-AC16E488B767.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing day for yard cleanup.  Did oak leaves today.  Looks like 2/3 to 3/4 are off the trees, so likely one more time to blow them and then having to deal with leaves from adjacent properties blowing in.  Got to use new ladder as well to get up to gutters.  Nice to finally have a quality stable ladder that I don’t fell like I’m going to die climbing up.  Grass is done growing as well but is nice and green still.  Best it’s looked since June.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Amazing day for yard cleanup.  Did oak leaves today.  Looks like 2/3 to 3/4 are off the trees, so likely one more time to blow them and then having to deal with leaves from adjacent properties blowing in.  Got to use new ladder as well to get up to gutters.  Nice to finally have a quality stable ladder that I don’t fell like I’m going to die climbing up.  Grass is done growing as well but is nice and green still.  Best it’s looked since June.

We done. All Oaks bare since last Sunday derecho.  Only the ones that hang on all winter left. Stein allowed 1-2 weeks earlier than normal final cleanup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leaves are pretty much down except for the typical stragglers. Brother in laws helped do cleanup since I can’t. Earliest cleanup since I’ve been here. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Nice day, nice evening.  Had friends over for some grilling and now I’m enjoying some quiet time in the yard.

58C97ED4-98D9-4013-AF83-08075FA10DD8.thumb.jpeg.058a96908a0d8feacb3f77582080eeac.jpeg

We hit up 12% today in North Haven. Just great beer after beer . Fantastic concept. Renting the barrels to brewers nationwide . They had one today from Tulsa 

sm0Pe8E.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys,

I wanted to ask, would you change the formatting of the attached snowfall (:weenie:) map? If there's anything that you'd add, remove, or edit, please let me know. I'm prepared to batch over 200 other snowfall interpolations (1900-now) that I created using GHCND/PNS observations and Python's PyKrige library (https://pypi.org/project/PyKrige/). I'd like to keep a gridded historical archive for other purposes as well. For example, I'd like to

1) create plots for the number of occurrences of 4+,10+,etc... events (on a 0.025x0.025 degree grid) ...and...

2) determine the maximum snowfall amount and index the event for all locations (on a 0.025x0.025 degree grid)

This isn't work that I plan on publishing since there are other agencies with similar and likely, more accurate plots (NWS offices, https://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/snowfall_v2/, and https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/snow-and-ice/rsi/nesis). I created these interpolations to conduct an analysis on a constant grid. I'll admit, I did it for fun too! I may also create a large poster of all plots altogether :thumbsup:

Anyways, I decided not to plot the legend. The plot's elements are:

shaded circles: GHCND/PNS (I added PNS observations when/where applicable) observations.

shaded crosses: GHCND/PNS observations that were determined to be spatial outliers... I found outliers using a methodology similar to this one < https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/spatial-statistics/h-how-cluster-and-outlier-analysis-anselin-local-m.htm > using a 50km search radius, IDW weights to the 2nd power, and z-scores of -1.280 and 4 (assuming a normal distribution).

shaded: Kriging interpolation onto a 0.025x0.025 degree grid

light blue shade: Lakes (from https://scitools.org.uk/cartopy/docs/v0.14/matplotlib/feature_interface.html)

dark blue shade: Atlantic (from https://scitools.org.uk/cartopy/docs/v0.14/matplotlib/feature_interface.html)

gray segments: Interstates

I also added shapefiles for Canada's provinces, USA's states, and USA's counties.

Ideally, the observations should match the color of the shaded interpolation.

:drunk:

 

test_928.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

We hit up 12% today in North Haven. Just great beer after beer . Fantastic concept. Renting the barrels to brewers nationwide . They had one today from Tulsa 

sm0Pe8E.jpg

That’s a great idea.  So they rent their barrels to brewers from elsewhere to add variety?  I’m surprised someone hasn’t done that fully... just an entire brewery brewing other people’s beers from around the US, or even internationally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That’s a great idea.  So they rent their barrels to brewers from elsewhere to add variety?  I’m surprised someone hasn’t done that fully... just an entire brewery brewing other people’s beers from around the US, or even internationally.

That’s exactly what they do. And it’s all breweries that basically score 4 or higher on Untappd. It also allows brewers from other areas of country to get their beers/ names known up here in IPA capital of the country in New England. They can for them as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

New England all quarantined up now with today’s Mass update removing NH and ME from the safe list.

From Boston.com:

Massachusetts residents planning to visit family in New Hampshire and Maine this Thanksgiving will be required to quarantine for two weeks or have proof of a negative COVID-19 test upon their return, according to the latest change of the state’s out-of-state travel rules — and the same goes for visitors from two those states coming here for the holiday.

As local officials urge residents against traveling at all for Thanksgiving amid the surge in coronavirus cases this fall, a spokesperson for the state’s COVID-19 Command Center told Boston.com that Massachusetts will remove New Hampshire and Maine from its list of lower-risk states effective Saturday.

That means individuals visiting or returning from those states are now required to self-quarantine for 14 days or have proof of a negative COVID-19 test from within the prior 72 hours upon arriving in Massachusetts. Failure to comply may result in a $500 fine per day.
 

 

This quarantine business is a little silly at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That’s exactly what they do. And it’s all breweries that basically score 4 or higher on Untappd. It also allows brewers from other areas of country to get their beers/ names known up here in IPA capital of the country in New England. They can for them as well.

Fantastic business plan right there, IMO.  Thanks for the intel. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, MegaMike said:

test_928.png

Looks awesome.  Well done on the map, wouldn't change a thing... and what an event for the ALB area, lol.  Those type of two footers don't grow on trees in the Capital District.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, MegaMike said:

Hey guys,

I wanted to ask, would you change the formatting of the attached snowfall (:weenie:) map? If there's anything that you'd add, remove, or edit, please let me know. I'm prepared to batch over 200 other snowfall interpolations (1900-now) that I created using GHCND/PNS observations and Python's PyKrige library (https://pypi.org/project/PyKrige/). I'd like to keep a gridded historical archive for other purposes as well. For example, I'd like to

1) create plots for the number of occurrences of 4+,10+,etc... events (on a 0.025x0.025 degree grid) ...and...

2) determine the maximum snowfall amount and index the event for all locations (on a 0.025x0.025 degree grid)

This isn't work that I plan on publishing since there are other agencies with similar and likely, more accurate plots (NWS offices, https://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/snowfall_v2/, and https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/snow-and-ice/rsi/nesis). I created these interpolations to conduct an analysis on a constant grid. I'll admit, I did it for fun too! I may also create a large poster of all plots altogether :thumbsup:

Anyways, I decided not to plot the legend. The plot's elements are:

shaded circles: GHCND/PNS (I added PNS observations when/where applicable) observations.

shaded crosses: GHCND/PNS observations that were determined to be spatial outliers... I found outliers using a methodology similar to this one < https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/spatial-statistics/h-how-cluster-and-outlier-analysis-anselin-local-m.htm > using a 50km search radius, IDW weights to the 2nd power, and z-scores of -1.280 and 4 (assuming a normal distribution).

shaded: Kriging interpolation onto a 0.025x0.025 degree grid

light blue shade: Lakes (from https://scitools.org.uk/cartopy/docs/v0.14/matplotlib/feature_interface.html)

dark blue shade: Atlantic (from https://scitools.org.uk/cartopy/docs/v0.14/matplotlib/feature_interface.html)

gray segments: Interstates

I also added shapefiles for Canada's provinces, USA's states, and USA's counties.

Ideally, the observations should match the color of the shaded interpolation.

:drunk:

 

test_928.png

This is pretty nice. One thing I personally like is seeing a few number values plotted on the actual map but not sure if that’s too difficult if you have so many obs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

We hit up 12% today in North Haven. Just great beer after beer . Fantastic concept. Renting the barrels to brewers nationwide . They had one today from Tulsa 

sm0Pe8E.jpg

Huh, this place is like a mile up the road from me and I've never heard of it. Is it good?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Amazing day for yard cleanup.  Did oak leaves today.  Looks like 2/3 to 3/4 are off the trees, so likely one more time to blow them and then having to deal with leaves from adjacent properties blowing in.  Got to use new ladder as well to get up to gutters.  Nice to finally have a quality stable ladder that I don’t fell like I’m going to die climbing up.  Grass is done growing as well but is nice and green still.  Best it’s looked since June.

I did Maple and Burning Bush leaves, I'm wiped. Ill be sleeping before Kevin tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ORH_wxman said:

This is pretty nice. One thing I personally like is seeing a few number values plotted on the actual map but not sure if that’s too difficult if you have so many obs. 

Thanks! :D

I tried to superimpose the observations onto the map, but it caused too much clutter. It was impossible to view numeric observations clearly. That's why I chose to use a color scale for the symbology instead. I can add the text, but I'd have to focus on smaller territories as you mention.

Is there a place I can store these plots somewhere in the forum (maybe a new thread)? I have 208 other plots I'd like to upload once the script finishes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.