Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Turducken?

About 20 years ago we were having our first Thanksgiving in our then house.  We tried a Tofurkey, which is supposed to take about 2 hours to cook.  We had double wall ovens and  had the Tofurkey in the one we had used less often.  Within about 25 minute,s the outside was burned to a crisp.  Tough , dry Tofurkey made for a bad centerpiece to the meal.

We had a repairman come out the next week.  He told us that oven's thermostat was shot and it likely got to about 900 f inside ( I find that hard to believe but it is what he through out there.)

We turned that oven into storage and just used the other.  I have not had Tofukey since.

• Haha 4

19 minutes ago, klw said:

About 20 years ago we were having our first Thanksgiving in our then house.  We tried a Tofurkey, which is supposed to take about 2 hours to cook.  We had double wall ovens and  had the Tofurkey in the one we had used less often.  Within about 25 minute,s the outside was burned to a crisp.  Tough , dry Tofurkey made for a bad centerpiece to the meal.

We had a repairman come out the next week.  He told us that oven's thermostat was shot and it likely got to about 900 f inside ( I find that hard to believe but it is what he through out there.)

We turned that oven into storage and just used the other.  I have not had Tofukey since.

I've had tofu twice in my life. It was horrendous each time....including the 2nd time when a vegetarian friend insisted "this one is really good". The concept of a "Tofurkey" sounds nightmarish. 

Maybe there's some good tofu out there but I'm not actively going to search for it.

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

On a similar topic, I’ve tried those impossible burgers. Had it a couple of years ago. Not sure if it’s better made since then, but you can’t be the real thing. It was better than I thought...but can’t replace beef. 

The Impossible Whopper is surprisingly good. But it is basically not any healthier than the regular Whopper. 

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

The Impossible Whopper is surprisingly good. But it is basically not any healthier than the regular Whopper. 

I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard from others that the flame-broiled flavor helps versus some other meat-substitute burgers.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I’m open to trying it again. I’m sure with a few condiments it’s pretty good. 

Yeah you slather enough condiments on anything, you can probably mask some of the weird flavor.

Anyways, beef burgers for me int he foreseeable future. :lol:

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

On a similar topic, I’ve tried those impossible burgers. Had it a couple of years ago. Not sure if it’s better made since then, but you can’t be the real thing. It was better than I thought...but can’t replace beef. 

We get some free range red meat from a farm, but we have also been getting some excellent plant based burgers at Wegmans.  Easily the best we have tried, and absolutely no comparison to things like boca burgers, etc.

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

I’ve posted the Pinkham form before, but here it is again with the back story on the event. Had to go to archive.org to find the story again since the url is now dead.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160817212606/https://www.ohcroo.com/winter_of_1969.cfm

That article reminded me of one I read long ago (between classes, at the U. Maine library) in Appalachia.  It's far enough back in time that the 2 stories might've been by the same author, with the more recent one based on the 1973 or 74 account. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Is Phin going to miss MD crab? He can have a massive lobster hanging off his plate instead. Take a spin down towards Hampton Beach this summer and enjoy.

The seafood up here has been really good. No complaints. There is a place in Gorham that has a huge platter of shrimp, clams, scallops, and fish for 25 bucks. Can’t beat it. The idea of Baltimore being a hub for great seafood is basically a joke these days used for tourist marketing purposes. 

Just now, PhineasC said:

The seafood up here has been really good. No complaints. There is a place in Gorham that has a huge platter of shrimp, clams, scallops, and fish for 25 bucks. Can’t beat it. The idea of Baltimore being a hub for great seafood is basically a joke these days used for tourist marketing purposes. 

We have been getting visit Baltimore ads here. There is even a billboard on the way into Boston with that ad. :lol:   

Yeah even up there well inland...still should be some good places for that. Like MaineJayhawk said...nothing beats a good lobster. Maine is the place for that. 

23 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

anyone have a rough idea of accurate the rapid covid test is?  @WhitinsvilleWX? Many places don't seem to be accepting it for "return to work". 

The newer Abbott one is pretty good. In my opinion, if you’re negative by that one, you’re either truly negative or haven’t got enough virus to be sick or contagious. 
The PCR test was the first one out and powers that be are stuck to it. Again in my opinion, the PCR test as interpreted now is junk. 
If we dont go to widespread rapid antigen testing on a weekly basis,  testing asymptomatic people by a PCR test that takes 1-4 days to get the results back is useless.

Companies require it since the state of Massachusetts mandates the PCR test. Otherwise, I don’t think Corporation X would care much which test you take.

2 hours ago, MJO812 said:

Anyone having a Thanksgiving dinner this year ?

Had ours Saturday the 14th while all the grandkids were here.  Four adults and 7 kids put a major dent in the 22-lb bird.

I've had tofu twice in my life. It was horrendous each time....including the 2nd time when a vegetarian friend insisted "this one is really good". The concept of a "Tofurkey" sounds nightmarish. 

Maybe there's some good tofu out there but I'm not actively going to search for it.

Had tofu numerous times during our Japan tip in 2016.  At best, it was like a near-tasteless custard.  :P   Even deep-fried it was no better than meh.
I've had some veggie burgers in years past - with the proper spices, almost anything with a near-proper texture will taste good.  I've no interest in trying the newer "Beyond" and "Impossible" products, especially after reading about them in Consumer Reports.  The article showed that  those things had similar fat (though much less saturated fat) and considerably more sodium than the real thing.  The testers reported something like 4-5 ingredients in a classic veggie burger and 16 to 20+ for the newer entries.  A chemical feast!