• Member Statistics

    16,272
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    TheNiño
    Newest Member
    TheNiño
    Joined
Baroclinic Zone

Fall Banter and General Discussion

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, forkyfork said:

i hope all of you covid deniers have the biggest thanksgivings you can :)

so you're hoping all those people die....that's really nice of you...covid deniers wow!

  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PhineasC said:

I am fortunate that I can hide out from the virus in style. That's why I am not being a massive hypocrite demanding people who have to work with customers every day shut themselves down and destroy their livelihoods to make me feel even better.

What is, "in style"?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

This is what I hope our governor looks at before implementing any widespread lockdowns again. I've been going to the gym in the mornings and there is usually <10 people. I feel pretty safe. At night, there's probably 30 or so. This pales in comparison to pre-covid where there was easily 100+ at 530pm. Anyhoo, Maine CDC should have enough data and contact tracing at this point to know which establishments are considered hot spots and not impose a blanket shutdown like Spring

The contact tracing has been showing gyms, restaurants, stores, etc are not where its spreading. The data in VT I saw was 71% of the tracing from contact tracers were  social gatherings of friends/family. I think they even found deer camps were high on the list. Very few to no cases from the other places. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

i hope all of you covid deniers have the biggest thanksgivings you can :)

From what I have been told, those big gatherings will lead to more community spread which means you will be infected next time the DoorDash guy shows up at your apartment with Thai food. Sorry, buddy. :( 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

In my large house with a lot of property without having to really go anywhere unless I want to.

Nothing worse than people like me telling working stiffs they need to give up their jobs and stay home, or else they kill grandma.

Which is why a lack of a targeted stimulus via PPP/PUA should have massive protests and Congress thrown out . 
 

Otherwise restrictions just leads to forced poverty and suffering of other groups  , which i think  highlights the shallowness of the inequality movement AND  a lack of awareness of Covid economic effects.

Nobody seems to realize that Covid and lockdowns and lack of stimulus since August  has tremendously widened wealth inequality in a year when people and corporations act like they care bc it’s “in”. Lots of people have various stressors in their lives and this tremendous cost of Covid being borne in certain industries (which minorities are over represented) just isn’t Brought up in the news cycle to raise awareness. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BrianW said:

The contact tracing has been showing gyms, restaurants, stores, etc are not where its spreading. The data in VT I saw was 71% of the tracing from contact tracers were  social gatherings of friends/family. I think they even found deer camps were high on the list. Very few to no cases from the other places. 

Here's a link:

https://vtdigger.org/2020/11/17/vermont-reimposes-hospital-lockdowns-ramps-up-testing-statewide/

Quote

 

The governor lectured “skeptics” of guidelines he released on Friday, which allowed restaurants to stay open but banned all inter-household gatherings. 

“There’s not much we can do to stop you,” he acknowledged, of those who defy the rules. “Please, don’t call it patriotic. Don’t pretend it’s about freedoms. Because real patriots serve and sacrifice for all, whether they agree with them or not.”

Scott explained that 71% of outbreaks reported from Oct. 1 to Nov. 13 were linked to “social events, parties and people hanging out at home or bars and clubs.” He added Vermont has not seen the virus spread widely at schools, restaurants or other businesses. 

Dr. Mark Levine, the state health commissioner, said those parties came in a variety of sizes of parties — Halloween gatherings large and small, dinner parties, baby showers, “people in the high single numbers at a deer camp.”

The virus spike stemmed from “opportunities for people to get together from different households in very modest-size circumstances. And I would say that a modest-size circumstance could be a Thanksgiving, a dining room table with six people at it, three couples from different places. That’s all it would take. It’s very, very well documented.”

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Community of color get screwed either way. 4 times more likely to be hospitalized over whites. 

Screenshot_20201118-141509_Chrome.jpg

Yes, but from a strictly economic standpoint, the workers in the minority communities who make the money are not dying from COVID in serious numbers. I suspect most of them really want to keep working, because if they lose their jobs, they are finished AND grandma still might die. The call for lockdowns screws them twice...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

 

26 minutes ago, klw said:

This makes sense just by the nature of how people react and socialize at certain gatherings.  Most people at restaurants sit down, eat their food across from each other, and move on fairly quickly with very little contact beyond their utensils, and food, and the conversation at their booth.  Parties at halls, or other home gatherings are a much different scene ...People standing around a keg, or table of food, close to others, talking for long periods of time.

I have been back at my gym since it re-opened.  I speak to the managers there every so often to get a sense of how the virus may be affecting the gym and patrons.  I have been told that zero cases have been traced back to the gym. That in itself does not mean much, but is interesting just the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cold Miser said:

 

This makes sense just by the nature of how people react and socialize at certain gatherings.  Most people at restaurants sit down, eat their food across from each other, and move on fairly quickly with very little contact beyond their utensils, and food, and the conversation at their booth.  Parties at halls, or other home gatherings are a much different scene ...People standing around a keg, or table of food, close to others, talking for long periods of time.

I have been back at my gym since it re-opened.  I speak to the managers there every so often to get a sense of how the virus may be affecting the gym and patrons.  I have been told that zero cases have been traced back to the gym. That in itself does not mean much, but is interesting just the same. 

From some numbers I have seen, (not sure how accurate they are), in Massachusetts at least, gyms have not contributed very many cases.   

Between 7/6 and 11/14, a consortium of Massachusetts Independent Fitness Operators had reported 1,384,349 gym "check ins" and only 45 reported cases

0.00325%    That's below community rates by a ton

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

From some numbers I have seen, (not sure how accurate they are), in Massachusetts at least, gyms have not contributed very many cases.   

Between 7/6 and 11/14, a consortium of Massachusetts Independent Fitness Operators had reported 1,384,349 gym "check ins" and only 45 reported cases

0.00325%    That's below community rates by a ton

 

Same in CT. I know someone that works at a large gym chain. Over a millions check ins and there have been practically zero cases between staff or any contact tracers about members being sick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

From some numbers I have seen, (not sure how accurate they are), in Massachusetts at least, gyms have not contributed very many cases.   

Between 7/6 and 11/14, a consortium of Massachusetts Independent Fitness Operators had reported 1,384,349 gym "check ins" and only 45 reported cases

0.00325%    That's below community rates by a ton

 

i wonder what the numbers are for grocery store workers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

From what I have been told, those big gatherings will lead to more community spread which means you will be infected next time the DoorDash guy shows up at your apartment with Thai food. Sorry, buddy. :( 

Dude your gonna give people PTSD . No Thai food showing up here now.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, correnjim1 said:

i wonder what the numbers are for grocery store workers

Its probably high. One of my nephews is a cashier at a supermarket chain and he caught it. He all good now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Same in CT. I know someone that works at a large gym chain. Over a millions check ins and there have been practically zero cases between staff or any contact tracers about members being sick. 

The gym I had belonged to previously has put up all sorts of plastic/plexi barriers between pieces of equipment, spread stuff out, etc.   I am personally preferring the home workouts I started in March but I'm glad to see the gyms have been safe so far

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The following doesn't mean anything .. nor is intended to imply anything substantive, but I think it is interestingly ironic - just the symbolic nature of what's gone on in society over the last 3 or 4 years. 

What happened ... ~ 18 months prior to the outbreak of SAR CoV 2 ( C-19) ?  

It was the "Okay, Boomer ..", meme. 

I think it was some Congressional hearing ( with less certainty ), where some Millennial-gen demoed a bit of ... insolence ( though that may be too strong a word for it ) to some elderly statements. It was over the Climate and environmental crisis...  Anyway ..it resonated through society like an aria star at a fine stemwares gallery ...shattering the supremacy of that elder generation's illusion that they were still holding onto control of the great puppeteer's strings for this marionette show we call culture.   Comedic circuits .... media in all forms, had sooo much fun with that... 

So next on the historical destiny comes along this pathogen that attacks the old disproportionately harshly in case loading and morbidity.  Now, ...that may seem refutable now by raw numbers ... But, problem with statistics is that without 'qualitative' analysis, the 'quantitative' means less. For example, there are more people alive in their 30s and 40s and 50s than there are in their 60s and 70s and 80s... purely by total factorization of human life span/risks and normal mortality rates.  So, you now have more 42 year olds with C-19 than 72 year olds...but, there are less 72 year olds to get it ( this is just making up an example to make the point).  We don't hear this kind of critical statistical, interpretative discussion - we just get bathed by CNN and Fox New's manipulating electromagnetic dark energy like Senator Palpatine's blue lightning...  But, somewhere in there ... prooobably still proves that older folk, i.e.... the "Boomers," are still at greater risk?  

The irony is... all of society is now crippled if not stymied to some extent, to promote and extend the Boomer life and supremacy - ... like I said, this is symbolic ...  they get their revenge!   

By the way, that climate shit still that looms over all humanity and countless other species - the latter of which is already suffering the initial onset/throws of a Mass Extinction ( Biologically/empirically demonstrated .. eh hm...).  

You know ... we take on 'crisis' ' one monster at a time - -nothing wrong with that.  And as climate change has no "directly" palpable or corporeal observable appeal to humanity at the day-to-day ... week-to-week ... but only vaguely so even at year-to-year scales, it is quite concomitantly not really registered as one such monster... 

But it is - 

Sad truth of the matter is...all this with the Pandemic...and everything else in reality for that matter ? 

Meaningless, because the specter of the Carbon footprint issue is interestingly the biggest monster of them all, while being totally ironically invisible. So add that... Maybe this is just the Age Of Ironies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, radarman said:

I have to say that compliance is damn close to 100% everywhere around here.  I can't recall the last time I've been inside in a public place and seen somebody not wearing a mask.

Yup. Same here. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Charlie Baker threatening Massachusetts residents with reopening roll backs if they don’t follow the rules during thanksgiving.

He will follow Marty Walsh's lead and help run the State of Massachusetts  to the ground.
(Cue The Dropkick Murphy's, "State of Massachusetts" )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Who here said they deny Covid exists?

Yeah. I see zero people in here denying it. Why would there be denial in a forum filled with science educated folks. lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

He will follow Marty Walsh's lead and help run the State of Massachusetts  to the ground.
(Cue The Dropkick Murphy's, "State of Massachusetts" )

I was thinking more this,

 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Charlie Baker threatening Massachusetts residents with reopening roll backs if they don’t follow the rules during thanksgiving.

There’s the coercion. Do what your told and you’ll get rewarded. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, klw said:
  • from the link:

Scott explained that 71% of outbreaks reported from Oct. 1 to Nov. 13 were linked to “social events, parties and people hanging out at home or bars and clubs.” He added Vermont has not seen the virus spread widely at schools, restaurants or other businesses. 

Dr. Mark Levine, the state health commissioner, said those parties came in a variety of sizes of parties — Halloween gatherings large and small, dinner parties, baby showers, “people in the high single numbers at a deer camp.”

Color me skeptical on the bolded; perhaps it's a like-kind assumption but I doubt it's based on actual numbers at those locations.  Vermont's firearms season only opened a week ago and I'd guess there are far more occupied deer camps in that season than for the archery season that began on October 5. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so what are we dancing around the notion of here...  what's the elephant in the room,  'cancel thanksgiving'  ?

like, any house with more than a couple cars parked out in front gets a run on by the local pd like a noise complaint at a frat party - ... just getting ready to cut the bird and its, 'bang bang bang' at the door??  

heh.

anyway - I heard there's three ( now ) sources for a vaccines, including Pfifer .. I don't know what these other two are or if this statement's even true so don't quote or assume or start a fake news meme or nothin'  just askin' - is it true. 

The way this was said, the other two are not as logistically difficult/fragile with their version - and together... all three estimate 26, 000,000 doses available to  the upper 1% of the global population by Jan 1 2021 ...  j/k...but it was espoused that they'll have that many doses - 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.