• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2020/2021 Fall/Winter Mountain thread

Met1985

As WNCsnow mentioned that the cold source is lacking very much in Canada.  The cold air source is stuck on the other side of the globe.  In our region again we look to score the best from the lack of cold air around. We get some of our best snows right around 30 degrees.  But this may mean thread the needle scenarios in our neck of the woods or we may not score at all which can happen.  

• Like 3

Interesting setup coming here on Friday and into next Saturday.  Still looking for some cohesiveness among models, but all three major models show some form of snowfall for many around WNC during the mentioned time frame.  The EPS is actually very bullish for this event.  Its all going to depend on that ULL capturing the surface low as it transfers.  One of these situations is bound to work out in our favor.  Eventually if we get enough ULL's to come through one will catch a surface low and we will be in business.  Main takeaway is that a -NAO is poised to develop and that will significantly increase our chances for a low to stall as it transfers.  From what I see, we will have several chances for ULLs to move through with surface lows in favorable positions for a SE snow over the next 3 weeks.  Should be some fun times of tracking!

Unknown.png

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, Hvward said:

Friday into Saturday could be a legit threat. Temps are going to be borderline, but it looks like the ULL could help get it done here in the mountains of WNC. GFS just dropped 4” of snow at KAVL.

Starting to look like we might be able to score a decent event. Almost every models shows at least light to moderate snow. 

• Like 1

Well it looks like we will see some rain and snow starting tomorrow morning changing to all snow by the afternoon for the favored areas. May end up with about an inch or two in the favored spots. At least getting back to a wintry appeal until the models hone in on the end of the weeks system. 

Yep! 3 chances at snow for many over the next 10 days. Good times friends.
  • Like 8

20 minutes ago, MotoWeatherman said:

Got about an inch here on Beech.  Surprise.  Now on to Tuesday and then Thursday/Friday.   

Yeah where the heck did that come from?  A little frustrating as I was up there for 4 days to celebrate New Years and it never got below freezing.  Then as I'm packing up it starts to snow unexpectedly.  Certainly eyeing a quick return trip Thursday evening. 

Side note; I know many on this forum are well aware but man it was bustling up in the high country.  I think you had almost everything booked up with folks on vacation then on top of that a lot of day trippers had the mountains on their minds as they heard about the White Christmas.  The ski resort looked like chaos.  I'm happy for the  local businesses but also won't mind seeing things get back to "normal".  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Phelps said:

Yeah where the heck did that come from?  A little frustrating as I was up there for 4 days to celebrate New Years and it never got below freezing.  Then as I'm packing up it starts to snow unexpectedly.  Certainly eyeing a quick return trip Thursday evening. 

Side note; I know many on this forum are well aware but man it was bustling up in the high country.  I think you had almost everything booked up with folks on vacation then on top of that a lot of day trippers had the mountains on their minds as they heard about the White Christmas.  The ski resort looked like chaos.  I'm happy for the  local businesses but also won't mind seeing things get back to "normal".  

Franklin/ bryson city have been packed since rentals could open back up in May. Everyone has and is fleeing the cities 

• Like 2

Threw this on our social media feeds but I thought this group might appreciate this more so (a rain, not snow post)... 

Highlands was 3.45" shy of beating Mt Mitchell for the annual rainfall state record of 139.94" in 2018. 

Highlands broke it's own record on 11/12/20 & collected 136.50" of rain in 2020!

Past 3 years

• 2018 - 125.46"
  • 2019 - 111.78"
  • 2020 - 136.50"

1990 - 2010 annual average - 89.46" 

• Like 5

Yeah it's a fun time of year to live in the Banner Elk/Boone area. Getting a left out of my road onto 221 is about hopeless after about 7AM.

I do a little grocery delivery to the ski resorts when I have time and it's always insane driving around in there on the weekends. Last week was probably the worst I've ever seen. Folks going stir crazy and bringing COVID up here to us. We've had cases going up at the store I work at in boone for a while now. Granted we get most of the Florida tourists which doesn't help.
  • Like 2