Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2020/2021 Fall/Winter Mountain thread

Met1985

2 hours ago, Sw NC weather said:

Big bust on temps today forecast was 54* and I only managed to get to 41 with a couple sleet/snow showers this morning.

Yep, breaking 40 was a struggle here too.  Fog eventually creeped down from up top.  Mid 50’s out towards Mills River around 11 and right at 40 at home when I got back at noon.

• Like 1

Yall and probably several of us east of the Apps are getting ready to get hammered from the 2cnd week of Jan deep into mid Feb and perhaps beyond,jury is out post Valentines dayish. The Holy Grail of all patterns is being advertised by all models for several runs. Cant draw up better looking blocking,pac Ridge. Right during prime climo to put icing on the cake.  I love this thread as I get to back n forth northern mtns alot these days. Figured Met or Ward would be posting about,seeing this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Met1985 said:

Things do look up starting in about a week but lets get there first. This group is not about pipe dreams and unicorns.  The pattern looks to really become active in about a week. We will go from there.

Yes sir, that's one thing I have always loved about the mountain thread over the years. No overhyping storms, no meltdowns, level heads just taking it for what it is.

• Like 5

Just now, BlueRidgeFolklore said:

Yes sir, that's one thing I have always loved about the mountain thread over the years. No overhyping storms, no meltdowns, level heads just taking it for what it is.

Yeah man for sure. When I started making the mountain thread this is exactly what I had in mind. Great conversation,  level headedness,  and some great mountain discussion. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BlueRidgeFolklore said:

Some of the reasons are:

1) It's a smaller group. Larger groups always attract weenies, trolls, and idiots.

2) Lower stakes. We all typically see snow at least once every year, so each event doesn't feel like our only chance.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, BlueRidgeFolklore said:

I have to admit I gave been close to meltdowns a few times. I just need snow!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tyler Penland said:

Not the fanciest station on the block but finally got one set up here at the house. Ambient Weather Osprey station. Budget friendly with good reviews. We'll see how it goes. 766d98d9f160c092414eff5f18a32439.jpg

Love it! Got my tempest set up last week and I’m not sure what I’ve been doing this whole time without a dedicated backyard station. Just really hoping we get a good winter storm soon so I can be glued to the DP and wet bulb readings for hours on end. 

• Like 2

Love it! Got my tempest set up last week and I’m not sure what I’ve been doing this whole time without a dedicated backyard station. Just really hoping we get a good winter storm soon so I can be glued to the DP and wet bulb readings for hours on end. 

For folks like us, it’s almost a must.

• Like 2