Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    16,895
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Pszemo
    Newest Member
    Pszemo
    Joined

2020/2021 Fall/Winter Mountain thread


Met1985
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

This map Bret posted have me thinking my household is sleeping down stairs tonight. .5" of ice plus those winds is a little alarming. The ground has been absolutely saturated up here and those 100' oaks around my house worry me.

 

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

 

 

 

 

We shall see. When it comes to ice, I'd rather be an alarmist than anything else. If you're caught by surprise with it, it can be very serious. I hate the stuff. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

This is really how I feel and this winter has been textbook with showing us CAD does not work here.

I agree, like you and WxKnurd, I have a hard time seeing believing much (if any) ZR occurs in the central to western zones of Haywood County based on all my years of living here. I can't tell you how many times I have left work in Canton with temps in the 20's with ice to get home to Maggie Valley and find temps in the mid 40's with just rain. Once you get west of Clyde, the WAA usually erodes the CAD in these type of set ups.

And yet....... I have to say I have rarely seen pretty good model consensus like we have now showing some sort of ice event for the majority of Haywood County. GSP seems fairly bullish as well. It'll be interesting to see how the event plays out.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, WxKnurd said:

I’m just not getting what the models are seeing, about all want to put ice down in Haywood and I just don’t get it.  

 

36 minutes ago, cold air aloft said:

I agree, like you and WxKnurd, I have a hard time seeing believing much (if any) ZR occurs in the central to western zones of Haywood County based on all my years of living here. I can't tell you how many times I have left work in Canton with temps in the 20's with ice to get home to Maggie Valley and find temps in the mid 40's with just rain. Once you get west of Clyde, the WAA usually erodes the CAD in these type of set ups.

And yet....... I have to say I have rarely seen pretty good model consensus like we have now showing some sort of ice event for the majority of Haywood County. GSP seems fairly bullish as well. It'll be interesting to see how the event plays out.

Yeah my sentiments exactly.  The last big ice storm I saw here was several years ago which it had snowed 4 to 5 inches then changed to freezing rain but the cold air was locked in already.  Also yeah it seems like the models are honing in on Haywood for significant ice for some reason... Honestly I hope we just get rain. I like the power...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, cold air aloft said:

I agree, like you and WxKnurd, I have a hard time seeing believing much (if any) ZR occurs in the central to western zones of Haywood County based on all my years of living here. I can't tell you how many times I have left work in Canton with temps in the 20's with ice to get home to Maggie Valley and find temps in the mid 40's with just rain. Once you get west of Clyde, the WAA usually erodes the CAD in these type of set ups.

And yet....... I have to say I have rarely seen pretty good model consensus like we have now showing some sort of ice event for the majority of Haywood County. GSP seems fairly bullish as well. It'll be interesting to see how the event plays out.

Nice to see you posting also. Was wondering were you have been.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Nice to see you posting also. Was wondering were you have been.

Thank You! Life has been kind of hectic the last year or so and limited my social media participation, but glad to be able to get back here. I always enjoy the level headed discussions and insights found here in the mountain forum.

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 here at the house under sunshine. Skiers are checking out early because of this ice threat. It's either going to be an epic bust or a forecasting coup. One has to wonder if the events in Texas and along the Northern Gul States influenced things a tad?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Maggie Ace said:

55 here at the house under sunshine. Skiers are checking out early because of this ice threat. It's either going to be an epic bust or a forecasting coup. One has to wonder if the events in Texas and along the Northern Gul States influenced things a tad?

In their 3 PM update GSP is still sticking to their guns for us getting ice. They are the pros but it's hard to ditch over 40 years of life experience in these parts.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 here at the house under sunshine. Skiers are checking out early because of this ice threat. It's either going to be an epic bust or a forecasting coup. One has to wonder if the events in Texas and along the Northern Gul States influenced things a tad?

I am on of those “visitors” - hard to bail listening to you guys.
Hard to ignore the pros.
Going to get lift ticket for the night runs...


. Pro
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Maggie Ace said:

55 here at the house under sunshine. Skiers are checking out early because of this ice threat. It's either going to be an epic bust or a forecasting coup. One has to wonder if the events in Texas and along the Northern Gul States influenced things a tad?

Same here! It is actually a dang beautiful day today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Tyler Penland said:

36/24 at the house. Made it briefly to 38 but headed back down now. The early morning clouds really slowed things down. Car says 33 sitting in full sun in Newland.

Looks like we're gonna have clear skies for a bit after sunset. Will give some good radiational cooling time before the clouds roll in.

Yeah yall should get hammered up that way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • jburns unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...