Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,542
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    happyweather
    Newest Member
    happyweather
    Joined

2020/2021 Fall/Winter Mountain thread


Met1985
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, BlueRidgeFolklore said:

They're also doing a prescribed burn around Lake James. I bet it's smoky over that way today.

Not me. I'm out of town for a couple of weeks. Doesn't surprise me though. A man a few years ago burnt down his barn because he was "getting rid of the extra hay and thought burning it would be faster than shoveling it out." :arrowhead:

 

Edit - Meant to quote Bucket.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well fellas I believe it's over for most of us now. Wouldn't rule out some snow about 3,500 but think it's full blown spring for most of us. 

 

I give this winter a C. It would have been lower due to the amount of busts but I did get to see snow fall on multiple occasions and that's always a win. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i road tripped to Boulder this weekend.  Justified it with a cheap flight with free hotel (points) so very inexpensive, "theoretically" less than driving to Beech mountain and staying in a hotel/condo/house there.  Had some changes of plans, so it was a bit more expensive than planned, but, well thats a different story.  Also, got stuck there and had to stay an extra day and come back on Tuesday instead of Monday because airport and bus/train transit was shut down Monday. But actually glad now i can say i got snowed in with a record snowstorm in Colorado.

Got about 20 inches in Boulder.  Ironically I think DIA that i initially flew into got 27 inches ;-).   I hiked up into the Flatirons the last day and walked in snow up to my knees so that was cool.  In town, even though about 20 inches fell, the ground measurement was probably 1.5 ft max in some places due to compaction and melting, as temps were borderline the first two days.  I would say this is the most snow i've ever seen, save a couple of times up at Beech where the wind blowing so hard couldn't tell how much snow by looking at the ground.  Good thing about this storm was there was just about zero wind, at least in Boulder, the whole time.  It was picture postcard stuff and comfortable. 

In hindsight, especially if you are going all out to see the biggest snow, I should have gone into Denver like I did on Friday, ahead of the storm, just got one night, and then based on short term trends, had the ability to change plans and go to Cheyene, or wherever, but all in all I felt it was about the best I could do to wind up in Boulder.

I wound up being in the same hotel as the Weather Channel crew, and Jim, Producer Steve, and Chris the cameraman were all very nice and i spoke to them several times over the course of 3 days.  They let me film behind the scenes and asked if i wanted to follow them when they changed locations. it was very cool.   Even talked to Charles Peek and found out he later went on into Cheyene.  I made several cameo appearances during their broadcast hits playing "random dude that just "happened" to be walking down the street behind Jim on camera".

Some observations:
I posted in the mountain west forum a few times and I was really surprised by the small amount of activity there especially with a possible historic snowstorm coming in.  It was a laid back forum like this one,  but i didn't feel the love that I get in this forum even though i'm sort of a lurker / outsider, but i did at least get a few likes, so that was good.  I would say there was about 10% of the analysis of an upcoming storm than i am used to here.  

To a person, everyone who got off one of the local buses would thank the driver as they disembarked, I thought that was cool.

They are serious about masks out there.  I wasn't trying to be a rebel, just forgot a few times and i would get sternly reminded especially in restaurants and in the post office where i mailed back extra boots and clothing cause i was tired of carting everything around going in between cities and airport. 

I'll try to post some pics later if anyone is interested and i can figure out how. 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds like an awesome chase. I happened to be in SLC for work and then up in Snowbird/Alta to ski in late February when they got 98 inches in 7 days. Definitely the most snow I've ever seen. The road up the canyon was closed for almost three days and the resorts in full "interlodge" mode, where you're not allowed to go outside due to avalanche risk. Needless to say, the skiing was pretty decent after that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SnowDeac said:

Sounds like an awesome chase. I happened to be in SLC for work and then up in Snowbird/Alta to ski in late February when they got 98 inches in 7 days. Definitely the most snow I've ever seen. The road up the canyon was closed for almost three days and the resorts in full "interlodge" mode, where you're not allowed to go outside due to avalanche risk. Needless to say, the skiing was pretty decent after that.

wow can't imagine that.  I suddenly realized when i was hiking up that mountain at sunrise Monday morning that I was concerned about an avalanche. that was a first for me and it was a little unsettling.  But then i got past that and started to worry about mountain lions as i was the only one out there at that time. I do have a question, when they got 98 inches, what was the GFS showing prior to that, 300 inches? ;-)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, NGTim said:

i road tripped to Boulder this weekend.  Justified it with a cheap flight with free hotel (points) so very inexpensive, "theoretically" less than driving to Beech mountain and staying in a hotel/condo/house there.  Had some changes of plans, so it was a bit more expensive than planned, but, well thats a different story.  Also, got stuck there and had to stay an extra day and come back on Tuesday instead of Monday because airport and bus/train transit was shut down Monday. But actually glad now i can say i got snowed in with a record snowstorm in Colorado.

Got about 20 inches in Boulder.  Ironically I think DIA that i initially flew into got 27 inches ;-).   I hiked up into the Flatirons the last day and walked in snow up to my knees so that was cool.  In town, even though about 20 inches fell, the ground measurement was probably 1.5 ft max in some places due to compaction and melting, as temps were borderline the first two days.  I would say this is the most snow i've ever seen, save a couple of times up at Beech where the wind blowing so hard couldn't tell how much snow by looking at the ground.  Good thing about this storm was there was just about zero wind, at least in Boulder, the whole time.  It was picture postcard stuff and comfortable. 

In hindsight, especially if you are going all out to see the biggest snow, I should have gone into Denver like I did on Friday, ahead of the storm, just got one night, and then based on short term trends, had the ability to change plans and go to Cheyene, or wherever, but all in all I felt it was about the best I could do to wind up in Boulder.

I wound up being in the same hotel as the Weather Channel crew, and Jim, Producer Steve, and Chris the cameraman were all very nice and i spoke to them several times over the course of 3 days.  They let me film behind the scenes and asked if i wanted to follow them when they changed locations. it was very cool.   Even talked to Charles Peek and found out he later went on into Cheyene.  I made several cameo appearances during their broadcast hits playing "random dude that just "happened" to be walking down the street behind Jim on camera".

Some observations:
I posted in the mountain west forum a few times and I was really surprised by the small amount of activity there especially with a possible historic snowstorm coming in.  It was a laid back forum like this one,  but i didn't feel the love that I get in this forum even though i'm sort of a lurker / outsider, but i did at least get a few likes, so that was good.  I would say there was about 10% of the analysis of an upcoming storm than i am used to here.  

To a person, everyone who got off one of the local buses would thank the driver as they disembarked, I thought that was cool.

They are serious about masks out there.  I wasn't trying to be a rebel, just forgot a few times and i would get sternly reminded especially in restaurants and in the post office where i mailed back extra boots and clothing cause i was tired of carting everything around going in between cities and airport. 

I'll try to post some pics later if anyone is interested and i can figure out how. 

Man, I sure would have loved to have went with you out there. Awesome insight. Thank you for sharing with us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great pics and stories, @NGTim.  Thanks for sharing with us.  So cool that you got to hang out with TWC crew!  I have family just outside of Boulder in Lafayette.  They said it was the most snow they have seen in their 5 or so years of living out there.  Such an amazing storm, and I am glad you got to experience it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, NGTim said:

wow can't imagine that.  I suddenly realized when i was hiking up that mountain at sunrise Monday morning that I was concerned about an avalanche. that was a first for me and it was a little unsettling.  But then i got past that and started to worry about mountain lions as i was the only one out there at that time. I do have a question, when they got 98 inches, what was the GFS showing prior to that, 300 inches? ;-)

Tim thank you so much for sharing! Awesome pics bro and glad you got to witness that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • jburns unpinned this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...