• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Mohammad
    Newest Member
    Mohammad

September 2020 Discussion

Maybe some frost/freeze Monday night?

“High pres directly overhead on Monday night and light winds/clear skies, expect areas of frost to develop, especially away from Lake Champlain. Frost/freeze headlines are likely for portions of the area with temps ranging from mid/upper 20s NEK/SLK to l/m 40s near Lake Champlain by Tues morning.”

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I meant a red flag warning/ fire danger like they issued. Seems almost impossible except this year with the severity of the drought 

19 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I wonder how often DIT mowed during the drought. For the lawn fanatics I know, the act of mowing is a ritualized thing and a huge part of the appeal of the "lifestyle." Letting your lawn grow a little longer to survive a dry period is going to be very hard for a lawn Nazi to handle. 

Shouldn’t mow it if It is stressed. I like a good lawn, but I know when to fold. We folded late July.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Shouldn’t mow it if It is stressed. I like a good lawn, but I know when to fold. We folded late July.

I mowed every week. Including today just to pick up leaves that have prematurely fallen. I took that picture after I had mowed today 

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

My lawn has turned into all kinds of stuff at this point. I just don’t have the money to sink into making it perfect... as long as it’s kept trimmed nicely, it honestly doesn’t matter what it is. If it’s green and the same height... looks fine 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I wonder how often DIT mowed during the drought. For the lawn fanatics I know, the act of mowing is a ritualized thing and a huge part of the appeal of the "lifestyle." Letting your lawn grow a little longer to survive a dry period is going to be very hard for a lawn Nazi to handle. 

I have a neighbor who is absolutely obsessed with her lawn. Mows two or three times a week to keep it at exactly the right length. All her mowing fried the lawn by mid July and she was desperately running sprinklers all day for weeks to try to revive it.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Dan said:

Yeah I have a well and a irrigation system. I am right in the middle of that severe drought, but my yard has been doing well. 424be783ed13d83b2c3395211ed23042.jpg

This was taken on Aug 24th.

How much qpf have you had since Aug 24?

14 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I mowed every week. Including today just to pick up leaves that have prematurely fallen. I took that picture after I had mowed today 

Yup, that's what I figured. You sound like my neighbor in MD. He has to mow. He cannot resist.

10 minutes ago, Hoth said:

I have a neighbor who is absolutely obsessed with her lawn. Mows two or three times a week to keep it at exactly the right length. All her mowing fried the lawn by mid July and she was desperately running sprinklers all day for weeks to try to revive it.

Yes, I suspect that's what happened here. Gotta water the hell out of your lawn if you want to keep it golf course short in a drought.

Taking stock of the new digs here.....lots of lawn challenges to overcome.

Steep hill, heavy shade.  I see the need a few trees and bringing in some fill to regrade.  Lots of seeding.  Probably a couple year's project too much other stuff taking priority.

Speaking of mowing, hats off to the guys who weed-wack the ski trails up here that are too steep to mow with a tractor.  Just start at the top and walk down cutting everything to the same length.

CA7F8310-A8F3-4042-BB18-C9CEC70165E6.thumb.jpeg.7015ee6d3a92616ebe5d54dde2aa0fd3.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

How much qpf have you had since Aug 24?

2.45”. We had a inch on the 29th and an inch this past Thursday. That was the first inch of rain since July 5th. Went a long stretch with not much but a tenth here a tenth there. Have a neighbor down the street who doesn’t have a irrigation system and doesn’t water and it looks similar to yours. Certainly not as bad. But I just tried to throw a little water at it a couple times a week just to try and keep it alive. There are some parts of my lawn that I didn’t water and they are fried

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Totally possible we go next 15 days without rain

Yeah other than a few showers late Thursday or Friday morning, STEIN. 

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Totally possible we go next 15 days without rain

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah other than a few showers late Thursday or Friday morning, STEIN. 

Pretty much at 10 days now without rain here.

0.22” last 24 hours... still solidly less than a half an inch total this entire month.  Almost unheard of here but September is a good time for San Diego weather.

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Stein Diego for the foreseeable future. 

At least no one can say this winter Kevin is measuring snow in the grass. 

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

At least no one can say this winter Kevin is measuring snow in the grass. 

Hopefully no gender reveal parties at his house.

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Hoth said:

Yup, a few of those in our hood as well and their lawns are crispy. Kept mine at ~4" all summer, it looked shaggy but it definitely saved it. No rain for a week, go out and the ground is still damp. Just acting like a canopy. 

• Like 1