• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2020-2021 Ski season thread

Skivt2

SR now using RFID. I like them, but is it possible to buy discounted tix from other people anymore? I used to fish craiglist middle to end of season to get some good tix from people that couldn't use their vouchers, but that doesn't seem possible with RFID cards that you have to put more money onto to buy more tix.

15 minutes ago, dmconno said:

It's amazing to see how every other Vail resort mountain on the East coast has availability except for Stowe which right now only has Thursday available to reserve next week.@powderfreak. Definitely the crown jewel of Northeast ski areas.

Screenshot_20210211-222832.png

Peak ski week, limited capacity and best conditions in a couple years.  Not surprising...hunter is similar.

9 hours ago, dmconno said:

It's amazing to see how every other Vail resort mountain on the East coast has availability except for Stowe which right now only has Thursday available to reserve next week.@powderfreak. Definitely the crown jewel of Northeast ski areas.

We have a much lower capacity than the others.  Only a few main lifts, limited parking, etc.  It has also felt like the cap was fairly well positioned without getting totally out of control.  But we’ll see, may be eating those words, ha.  This is definitely a “destination” ski area that sees longer term stays vs day trips.

And the Avalanche calamity continues, pretty much at a loss for words. East facing slope which is exactly what the highest danger was on the rose, and riding alone. WTF is it going to take...and it wasn’t even the only avalanche fatality in CO today. Some very close friends have pretty much hung up there backcountry gear until spring out in CO.

Edit: I want to point out I don’t think this rider was actually riding the slope that slid, it probably came down on top of him, and with it being a partial critical bury it was possibly survivable with a partner present.  

https://avalanche.state.co.us/caic/acc/acc_report.php?acc_id=780&accfm=rep&view=public

F9416B8B-A691-407D-A149-540917C3567F.jpeg

A nice day at BW on Saturday. Primarily stuck to West chair and Stickney tbar to minimize wait times. At ragged yesterday and was very impressed by their operation. They have made lots of snow and whole mountain was open but could certainly use snow in woods and non-snowmaking trails. My nephew made great strides this weekend, he's a typical 10 year old, won't acknowledge any advice regarding skiing (or anything) but is quietly listening. I just started taking him down the most advance terrain both mountains had - steeps, bumps, and trees and all of sudden it clicks!

Also, he thought walking out onto the lake was a hoot and was very curious about the fishing houses on the lake. Meredith Bay was a small city given the fishing tournament.

2 minutes ago, Angus said:

A nice day at BW on Saturday. Primarily stuck to West chair and Stickney tbar to minimize wait times. At ragged yesterday and was very impressed by their operation. They have made lots of snow and whole mountain was open but could certainly use snow in woods and non-snowmaking trails. My nephew made great strides this weekend, he's a typical 10 year old, won't acknowledge any advice regarding skiing (or anything) but is quietly listening. I just started taking him down the most advance terrain both mountains had - steeps, bumps, and trees and all of sudden it clicks!

Also, he thought walking out onto the lake was a hoot and was very curious about the fishing houses on the lake. Meredith Bay was a small city given the fishing tournament.

LOL at the skiing advice bit.

Same issue here. My wife tried to teach our kids how to ski by starting with long lectures on the bunny hill about proper form, how to get up after a fall, how to walk sideways back up the hill, how to take off your skis and walk down when scared... zero progress. If she could have wheeled a chalkboard out onto the hill to diagram some skiing equations she would have done so.

I decided to try my way. I took each one up the lift and dropped them off at the top and we made our way down with zero communication; they knew they had to sink or swim here. I just told them to watch me and emulate. It instantly clicked into place and now they are skiing the entire mountain. Kids are sponges and they learn via experience and observation. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sankaty said:

Looks like some sleet will make it's way into the VT ski areas.  Any thoughts on how it will affect surface conditions?  My sense it that mixed in with new snow, it will be dense, but most surfaces will stay soft.  Sound right?

Sleet is a great surface.  Smooth and dense.  The freezing rain is when it changes drastically.

I personally love 6” of snow and sleet for skiing. It can ski really smooth and easily mask any previous surface.

• Like 1

Spent 4 days skiing Jay and touring the surrounding area last week. Pretty incredible snow given the complete lack of thaws the past month or so. Definitely had that bottomless feel that you crave. First time skiing Big Jay from the top as well. That and the Mansfield chin are truly the definition of "steep and deep" in the region. 

IMG_20210210_084448315.jpg

IMG_20210211_133733458.jpg

IMG_20210211_135301080_BURST001.jpg

IMG_20210211_154241658_BURST007.jpg

• Like 5

Think I've answered my own question about the northward limit of freezing rain tomorrow.  Latest Euro has ticked warmer again.  Seems like the Killington region could be in danger of receiving some ZR or even some plain drizzle.  With the way this keeps ticking north, not sure even the Sugarbush/Stowe areas are totally out of the woods.  Will hope for the best.  Conditions have been amazing the past several weeks.  Hopefully, the upcoming storm will verify a little further south, or at least Friday's storm will give a good refresh.

23 minutes ago, MRVexpat said:

Spent 4 days skiing Jay and touring the surrounding area last week. Pretty incredible snow given the complete lack of thaws the past month or so. Definitely had that bottomless feel that you crave. First time skiing Big Jay from the top as well. That and the Mansfield chin are truly the definition of "steep and deep" in the region. 

IMG_20210210_084448315.jpg

IMG_20210211_133733458.jpg

IMG_20210211_135301080_BURST001.jpg

IMG_20210211_154241658_BURST007.jpg

Been a great stretch...no liquid or thaw/freeze has kept it fresh and any crust out of it.  Def flirting with the end of the streak tmrw, but should recover quick with the famous J-spin upslope insurance policy later in the week after the Friday Storm.  No Snorkel storms, but just good quality, consistent skiing.

I haven't made it to big jay, but it's on my list (need someone experienced who knows it)…did you go up from the 242 parking lot or from that spot off Northway?

1 hour ago, bwt3650 said:

Been a great stretch...no liquid or thaw/freeze has kept it fresh and any crust out of it.  Def flirting with the end of the streak tmrw, but should recover quick with the famous J-spin upslope insurance policy later in the week after the Friday Storm.  No Snorkel storms, but just good quality, consistent skiing.

I haven't made it to big jay, but it's on my list (need someone experienced who knows it)…did you go up from the 242 parking lot or from that spot off Northway?

We went off of northway. It was pretty damn obvious where to go but the key is definitely to keep heading skiers right where possible once you drop in because it can be a long slog out of the bottom drainage to the road if you go too far; the boarder in our group definitely struggled and we were still conscious of this. 

Little Jay is a more accessible and fun skin from 242, some awesome lines in there. 

On 2/15/2021 at 9:52 AM, Angus said:

Ragged is a good little hill.  Base lodge is kinda funky but we enjoyed it

Skied Bretton Woods today for the first time.

It was pretty good, but I can only imagine how it was before Tuesday's storm. Everything that wasn't groomed was very firm, and some trails were groomed late yesterday but before things tightened back up, and were basically boilerplate. Pretty glad I put a fresh set of edges on our skis before this trip.

The views were outstanding once the rockpile cleared out around 9am...

4d19b7655736b105c3e322756ded2ece.jpg

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

• Like 3