Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2020 Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

43 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Could be quite wet next week with a deep trough in the OV, hung up front over the East Coast, and remnant moisture from Isiah Thomas. 

Yes please.  That's why my initial post was synoptic rains.  Maybe we can score a low pressure around our area to give us some rain.

I could see that evolving into a Bahama blue pattern ... 

It's another personal-ism so bite me -

Basically, it's when the WAR doesn't edge - enough so - over eastern continent, and a weakness forms between it and the semi-permanent western N/A heat dome... The flow becomes S/SSW from the surface to 200 mb level east of the cordillera ( that's App. mountains axis) ...

I "think" ( though am not certain ) that the huge PWAT laminar transport that occurs from the deeper subtropics all the way up ... provides so much condensation potential on the atmospheric particulates,...that together they rain/settle out impurities, rendering the sky so deeply blue it's like some fantasy world Korean pop video where rain drops are violet pieces of candy...  Whatever microphysical and or other cause, you get some extraordinary visibilities with DPs of 76 ...all the way to Maine when that sets up.  the impetus in awe being...it's hard to get vast visibility in high water content... but that sort of scenario achieves that somehow. I haven't seen this in the last couple of years tho... 

actually going back five or more ...I don't recall.. It used to happen almost dependably once or twice per summer, that set up ... in the 1980s through the 1990s, but since 2000...seems increasingly a rarefied synoptic ordeal.  I think that is because the flow is being sped up - yup...yet again, because of the dreaded HC expansion. I've noticed even in summers we have velocity anomalies.  I mean, yesterday, nearing Augie 1, ...we had CU turrets ripping so violently NE away from the buoyancy parcels that it was probably even inhibiting complete rain out of the convective cycle beneath them... I saw vil plumes go from eastern CT to S of NS in like an hour... what is that... 300 mb 200 mph geostrophic wind speed - jesus christ. Slow the f* down already... 

Anyway, if the total atmospheric maelstrom ...like everywhere, is having to balance that kind of momentum distribution, it's just mathematically/geo-physically ( probably demonstrable) that the wave structure/R-numbers would make scenarios less capable of N-S orientation in lieu of conserving all that rage pointing W-E.  Just a supposition...but I think a good one. 

6 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Basically, it's when the WAR doesn't edge - enough so - over eastern continent, and a weakness forms between it and the semi-permanent western N/A heat dome... The flow becomes S/SSW from the surface to 200 mb level east of the cordillera ( that's App. mountains axis) ...

I "think" ( though am not certain ) that the huge PWAT laminar transport that occurs from the deeper subtropics all the way up ... provides so much condensation potential on the atmospheric particulates,...that together they rain/settle out impurities, rending the sky so deeply blue it's like some fantasy world Korean pop video where rain drops are violet pieces of candy...  Whatever microphysical and or other cause, you get some extraordinary visibilities with DPs of 76 ...all the way to Maine when that sets up.  I haven't seen this in the last couple of years... 

actually going back five or more ...I don't recall.. It used to happen almost dependably once or twice per summer, that set up ... in the 1980s through the 1990s, but since 2000...seems increasingly a rarefied synoptic ordeal.  I think that is because the flow is being sped up - yup...yet again, because of the dreaded HC expansion. I've noticed even in summers we have velocity anomalies.  I mean, yesterday, nearing Augie 1, ...we had CU turrets ripping so violently NE away from the buoyancy parcels that it was probably even inhibiting complete rain out of the convective cycle beneath them... I saw vil plumes go from eastern CT to S of NS in like an hour... what is that... 300 mb 200 mph geostrophic wind speed - jesus christ. Slow the f* down already... 

Anyway, if the total atmospheric maelstrom ...like everywhere, is having to balance that kind of momentum distribution, it's just mathematically/geo-physically ( probably demonstrable) that the wave structure/R-numbers would make scenarios less capable of N-S orientation in lieu of conserving all that rage pointing W-E.  Just a supposition...but I think a good one. 

John,  I think of you with the words Bahama blues.   I love this when it happens.  The sparkling visibility and white sharp Cu towers.

image.png.4205900a3623d90138ee7bc43346c5aa.png

10 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

John,  I think of you with the words Bahama blues.   I love this when it happens.  The sparkling visibility and white sharp Cu towers.

image.png.4205900a3623d90138ee7bc43346c5aa.png

two aspect right quite ... 

1 .. that would be a good pic, but ...the sky needs even less contaminated smears... those bright white toothy turrets work, but the sky is like uber-clear deep gasping blue in between.   

2 .. probably shouldn't romanticize about me.. haha.  kidding

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I "think" ( though am not certain ) that the huge PWAT laminar transport that occurs from the deeper subtropics all the way up ... provides so much condensation potential on the atmospheric particulates,...that together they rain/settle out impurities, rendering the sky so deeply blue it's like some fantasy world Korean pop video where rain drops are violet pieces of candy...  Whatever microphysical and or other cause, you get some extraordinary visibilities with DPs of 76 ...all the way to Maine when that sets up.  the impetus in awe being...it's hard to get vast visibility in high water content... but that sort of scenario achieves that somehow. I haven't seen this in the last couple of years tho... 

A poem that in another way expresses Tip's sentiments here:

The Predestination of Clouds

The tropics paid a visit

to this northern domain of Calvin

and rain, shook loose from grey tarpaulin sky,

fell all at once on pudding stone and white pine.

Then like a laugh in the midst of a good cry

the sun would steam, and turn off again.

At times there'd be breaks where

suspended in Barbados blue, pillars billowed;

rose in white flight from dusky hue,

as if Calvin's elect on the high road to heaven.

Erect and proud in their pews in the sky

they stood pearly,

assured of no dross of common sin.

But the higher they rose

the harder their wet hearts

beat back to earth

as the grey ranks closed again.

• Like 1

speaking of writing guys ( girls... or whomever or whatever is identifying these days ..) ... speaking of writing, my novel is officially published. It's available at Amazon or b-store look ups.

"Dominion" ...which is a used and abused title, but ... the publisher wanted it changed from "Dominia" - which I liked, as it was a reference to the dark magic universe borrowed from Russian fantasy ... but it was too obscure or some shit.  

anyway, it may not be anyone's speed in here as it marries Solid State Physics with Biology ( in very hard core headache worthy science fiction of what if..) to then emerge consequence of Spiritual implication, in total ... telling a unique A.I. story that that stems a goodly bit away from the tropes of modern fiction - so it is hoped... 

The book has that, plus Military... Romance... and is 300 pages... 

And no where inside the covers will we find anything having to do with weather other than describing the aridity and hot winds of the desolate Arizona air.  Oh, I lied - there is those wind words, but also the word cumulonimbus ...believe it or not.... 100,000 words and I found a way to get that word in a novel that portends dystopia through the lens of Solid State Physics, Biology...and quasi- para-psychology... see - not totally unrelated...  

just sayn'

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

speaking of writing guys ( girls... or whomever or whatever is identifying these days ..) ... speaking of writing, my novel is officially published. It's available at Amazon or b-store look ups.

"Dominion" ...which is a used and abused title, but ... the publisher wanted it changed from "Dominia" - which I liked, as it was a reference to the dark magic universe borrowed from Russian fantasy ... but it was too obscure or some shit.  

anyway, it may not be anyone's speed in here as it marries Solid State Physics with Biology ( in very hard core headache worthy science fiction of what if..) to then emerge consequence of Spiritual implication, in total ... telling a unique A.I. story that that stems a goodly bit away from the tropes of modern fiction - so it is hoped... 

And no where inside the covers will we find anything having to do with weather other than describing the aridity and hot winds of the desolate Arizona air.  Oh, I lied - there is those wind words, but also the word cumulonimbus ...believe it or not.... 100,000 words and I found a way to get that word in a novel that portends dystopia through the lens of Solid State Physics, Biology...and quasi- para-psychology... see - not totally unrelated...  

just sayn'

I need multiple depraved steamy sex scenes, preferably between different alien species, to consider purchasing your book. Let me know what to expect in that regard. Thanks in advance. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Congrat's man.  Sounds a bit too heady for my simpleton brain, but fun accomplishment to get a book out there.

10 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I need multiple depraved steamy sex scenes, preferably between different alien species, to consider purchasing your book. Let me know what to expect in that regard. Thanks in advance. 

Hahaha...   

I wonder if that's a real sub-genre ... Sci-Fi erotica -nice... 

18 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Congrat's man.  Sounds a bit too heady for my simpleton brain, but fun accomplishment to get a book out there.

yeah... little worried.

I wrote the first half of the book 10 years ago, then put it down to engage in self-loathing for a number of years... 

That went its course and when I rejoined, you can tell a different tact -but, some of that was premeditated ...I mean, I wanted to write a hard core sci -fi... i.e, can't do that without some pricey syllabic counts.  I.e., not lightsabers which is pretty much fantasy - which is fine. It has it's place.  But, that does limit the bourgeois appeal to sort of niche the book, doesn't it.  But the 2nd half of the book is more humane with the resolution thematic necessity and all that gunk 

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

just sayn'

Congrats. !! And you just barely kept it shorter than War and Peace!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, dendrite said:

heh...all kidding aside congrats John. That's quite a feat.

Thanks man ... I really am a loser - but at least this helps when in moments lost in gazes ...arresting in self-evaluation...   haha

Upon occasion as we glide through the gallorie of mediocrity the glint off our better angles may just catch the eye and cast colorful delusions in place of our despair.    

I guess that code for, " if you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, you gotta baffle 'em with bullshit " ... hopefully I came up with something in between

• Like 1