• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    david121212
    Newest Member
    david121212

July Discobs 2020

43 minutes ago, Ian said:

Not sure but I'd guess perhaps. He used to have a radio show with Berk waaay back. Similar ideologies overall I think. A lot of these folks are just lazy (intellectually or otherwise). BWI may have run warm last year.. so now it's king of heat. Also it was pretty hard to prove BWI was running warm last year. Not sure anyone ever really did. Meanwhile two of the days that missed at BWI were 88s and one was 89. DCA broke the other way this time on a few days.. it tends to run warmer than BWI/IAD esp before late season. 

Tony and I think Chris Martz were going around about BWI having some rogue sidewalk that was setting everything off too warm. I'm not sure if it was really or not but it seemed a bit silly. It was almost a daily thing when other sites were within a degree or two of BWI.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Tony and I think Chris Martz were going around about BWI having some rogue sidewalk that was setting everything off too warm. I'm not sure if it was really or not but it seemed a bit silly. It was almost a daily thing when other sites were within a degree or two of BWI.

I think they have a point with BWI. It did get a new area near the ASOS paved just over a year ago.

Berk definitely is a “skeptic”. I think Pann used to be at least but seems more open minded. Tom Tasselmeyer is the one that’s disappointed me. Check his “Likes” on Twitter. Yikes.

9 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I think they have a point with BWI. It did get a new area near the ASOS paved just over a year ago.

Berk definitely is a “skeptic”. I think Pann used to be at least but seems more open minded. Tom Tasselmeyer is the one that’s disappointed me. Check his “Likes” on Twitter. Yikes.

I was going to write about it but in my cursory look there was no smoking gun. There was also some precedent. My rough analysis didn't show much correlation to the disturbed area as it came to wind direction etc. Granted it could just warm the ambient temperature somewhat but LWX also tested it and didn't find a problem with the equipment.  It did seem weird yes. I have not followed this year much. 

for the period of 90+ at DCA thru yday... stations look like they're running pretty close compared to themselves at least.

IAD 5th warmest
DCA 6th warmest
BWI 9th warmest (4th warmest at current spot)

10 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

DCA is ridiculous when it comes to snowfall, but BWI has had its share of problems measuring it, as well.

I agree on the new area that's paved near the temperature station. 

I think even with the paved area, it’s a small effect or no effect in many circumstances. Thanks for the reminder that LWX did review it. 

5 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

^ Nice in Fredrock tonight:D . Its breaking up fast to the north though . I don't expect anything here .

Still raining and I am well over an inch. Will see if I can stay awake to get the final reading. We needed it. Have missed out the past week. 

I got

2 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

Still raining and I am well over an inch. Will see if I can stay awake to get the final reading. We needed it. Have missed out the past week. 

I got .68" a couple days ago but it's been fairly dry for 2 weeks .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I got

I got .68" a couple days ago but it's been fairly dry for 2 weeks .

Just checked 1.21” out of that storm. There is another developing behind this but it may miss me just to the N. 

• Like 1

very pleasantly surprised to get a heavy shower.    All of the guidance I had seen today had this activity dying out well before reaching the I-95 corridor.

@WxWatcher007 This is not going to develop into a tropical cyclone, obviously, but check out the convection associated with a vort-max feeding off of the 80F water temperatures of Lake Erie. 

Pretty neat.

Screenshot_20200711-062844_Chrome.thumb.jpg.cfeb849d0775894409c1ae0f9dc32341.jpg

• Like 2

It is down here in central TX, JakkelWx. I am no warminista, but I am having the time of my life in the triple digit heat enjoying luggin 50 lb sacks of gravel all over our ranch south of Austin! Today we get to enjoy 102 degrees, while on Monday it will top out at a toasty 106. Ditto for Monday and Tuesday. Ridge is somewhere between the 99th percentile and outright record territory, at near 600 dcm. We will get to enjoy these kinds of summertime heat anticyclones many times during this high sun season!

I never in my wildest dreams, ever imagined I would ever have this much fun down here in the Deep South (or in the Deep Southwest) smack in the middle of July!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Picked up 0.28” last night. Very welcome and surprising. 

I was up at 12:30 this morning.  It was pouring, with minor thunder and maybe a couple brief lightning flashes.  During the evening there was a fairly sold line of rain (lots of yellows and reds) moving east out from the Potomac Highlands.  The line gradually began diminishing and breaking up, but there was one small red cell that survived and just happened to pass over Columbia.

Location, location, location!!!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JakkelWx said:

Heatwave isn't nearly as impressive as it was a few days ago. 

Go on....

6 minutes ago, Jebman said:

It is down here in central TX, JakkelWx. I am no warminista, but I am having the time of my life in the triple digit heat enjoying luggin 50 lb sacks of gravel all over our ranch south of Austin! Today we get to enjoy 102 degrees, while on Monday it will top out at a toasty 106. Ditto for Monday and Tuesday. Ridge is somewhere between the 99th percentile and outright record territory, at near 600 dcm. We will get to enjoy these kinds of summertime heat anticyclones many times during this high sun season!

I never in my wildest dreams, ever imagined I would ever have this much fun down here in the Deep South (or in the Deep Southwest) smack in the middle of July!

You must be in good shape though. How did you end up on a ranch in Texas?

28 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

I was up at 12:30 this morning.  It was pouring, with minor thunder and maybe a couple brief lightning flashes.  During the evening there was a fairly sold line of rain (lots of yellows and reds) moving east out from the Potomac Highlands.  The line gradually began diminishing and breaking up, but there was one small red cell that survived and just happened to pass over Columbia.

Location, location, location!!!

You got what moved over me at 11/11:30. Got 1.21" out of just one storm as it passed over. Occasional lightning. I am in SW Frederick Co.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JakkelWx said:

Where have we seen this before? 

Winter? Where the Euro was promising an epic change every run but it always stayed two weeks away?

• Like 1

It's summer. Methinks it is going to continue to be hot and humid for a while. This is what has generally been advertised on the means.

Random op runs showing 100+ heat are more believable than when they advertise brutal cold in winter, but still mostly end up wrong.

• Like 1