• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 2020 General Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

Peak SSTs up a few more degrees to 81° now.

STATION/POSITION TIME  SKY/WX   TEMP    WIND        PRES    VSBY  WAVE
                                AIR SEA DIR/SP/G                  HT/PER
                 (UTC)          (F)     (DEG/KT/KT) (MB)    (MI)  (FT/S)
NY Harb Entrance 1850               81  150/  8/ 10 1015.9          2/ 6
20 S Fire Island 1850                   110/  2/  4 1016.5          2/ 6
Great South Bay  NOT AVBL
23 SSW Montauk P 1840            80 75  200/  4/  6 1016.7
15 E Barnegat Li 1826               81                N/A           2/ 6
Hudson Canyon    1850               77              1017.4          3/ 6
Kings Point      1830            87     190/  8/ 11 1016.5
Execution Rocks  1830            86     180/  4/  6   N/A
Western LI Sound 1730            83     100/  4/  6   N/A
Central LI Sound NOT AVBL
Robbins Reef     1830            80     180/ 17/ 18 1016.1
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Hot today but miles better then yesterday IMO 

It really makes a big difference when the dewpoints are in the 60s rather than the 70s. I went for outdoor dining for brunch today (pancakes) and it really didn't feel that bad with a dewpoint of 63. In fact I went for a 7 mile run during the evening yesterday when the dewpoint was 67, and it didn't feel bad at all. But when I run when the dewpoint is in the 70s, it really feels hot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SnoSki14 said:

They'll probably be a big uptick from all the heat recently going into next week.

Looks like more 95°+ potential by Sunday and Monday as 850 mb temperatures return to +20C.

850 hPa temperature / 500 hPa geopotential

Tuesday 21 Jul, 12 UTC T+144 Valid: Monday 27 Jul, 12 UTC

BA714D1F-9BDA-4D3F-B760-C7ABFF992AB8.thumb.png.33dab3b2d2a679c9589c54a9e4f647d8.png

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

It really makes a big difference when the dewpoints are in the 60s rather than the 70s. I went for outdoor dining for brunch today (pancakes) and it really didn't feel that bad with a dewpoint of 63. In fact I went for a 7 mile run during the evening yesterday when the dewpoint was 67, and it didn't feel bad at all. But when I run when the dewpoint is in the 70s, it really feels hot.

Yeah, it’s still hot but a little more bearable with a lower dew point. I always like to challenge myself during the heatwave with longer runs. Even more now with the gyms still closed 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, psv88 said:

ISP hit 90, nice heat wave for us

The 79° dew point at ISP and 79° minimum at FRG were probably the two most impressive records for Long Island. The FRG data only goes back to 2000.

C1682B4D-F5E6-4A6B-B2AE-564265613C3E.png.b19de316074d2b7e573680c9133d8ed6.png

Time Series Summary for FARMINGDALE REPUBLIC AP, NY - Month of Jul
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Rank
Year
Highest Min Temperature 
Missing Count
1 2020 79 11
- 2019 79 0
- 2013 79 0
- 2002 79 0

37 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Yeah, it’s still hot but a little more bearable with a lower dew point. I always like to challenge myself during the heatwave with longer runs. Even more now with the gyms still closed 

Yeah, I do too. It definitely makes you feel good about the shape you're in when you can do major running in this type of heat. Most people can't do it, and of course they shouldn't try unless they're in great shape. You really need to be in great shape to do serious running in this type of heat.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lee59 said:

I think Laguardia and Newark temperatures during heat waves are the highest around, especially night temperatures. They are open concrete and tarmac and Newark surrounded by chemical and industrial like plants. Kennedy not as bad because of the ocean and smaller airports are not surrounded by as much concrete.

Are there any chemical plants left in northeast Jersey?  There are no major industrial manufacturers left in Linden NJ, just a few relatively clean power producing plants, except fro the Bayway refinery.  Newark is certainly paved over pretty good, like you said.

• Like 1

NYC obs used to come from the roof of 17 Battery place in downtown Manhattan...not sure where they measured snow...it changed in 1961 when official obs were taken in Central Park...snowfall measurements have been suspect at times from there since awos was installed...having the NYC weather bureau in eastern Long Island don't help matters...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

We need better downtown representation since our airports are subject to sea breezes.

they need to quit building airports near bodies of water (particularly with sea level rise)....any data on when JFK will be going underwater from sea level rise (unless they move its location like they are doing with some military bases)?  

3 hours ago, bluewave said:

Looks like more 95°+ potential by Sunday and Monday as 850 mb temperatures return to +20C.

850 hPa temperature / 500 hPa geopotential

Tuesday 21 Jul, 12 UTC T+144 Valid: Monday 27 Jul, 12 UTC

BA714D1F-9BDA-4D3F-B760-C7ABFF992AB8.thumb.png.33dab3b2d2a679c9589c54a9e4f647d8.png

Chris, I thought we were supposed to cool down over the weekend and the heat was going to return next week?

30 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

they need to quit building airports near bodies of water (particularly with sea level rise)....any data on when JFK will be going underwater from sea level rise (unless they move its location like they are doing with some military bases)?  

Sea level rise or sunny day flooding is increasing fastest over the Southeast. 

https://www.noaa.gov/media-release/us-high-tide-flooding-continues-to-increase

The report, 2019 State of High-Tide Flooding and 2020 Outlook, documents changes in high-tide flooding patterns from May 2019 to April 2020 at 98 NOAA tidal gauges along the U.S. coast, and provides a flooding outlook for these locations for the coming meteorological year, May 2020 to April 2021, and projections for the next several decades

High-tide flooding, often referred to as "nuisance" or “sunny day” flooding, is increasingly common due to years of relative sea level increases. It occurs when tides reach anywhere from 1.75 to 2 feet above the daily average high tide and start spilling onto streets or bubbling up from storm drains. As sea level rise continues, damaging floods that decades ago happened only during a storm now happen more regularly, such as during a full-moon tide or with a change in prevailing winds or currents.

In 2019, the Southeast saw a 3-fold increase in flooding days compared to the year 2000. For example, Charleston, S.C., had 13 days where flooding reached damaging levels, compared to only two days typical in 2000. Along the Western Gulf, percentage increases were the highest, greater than 5-fold. In Texas, Sabine Pass and Corpus Christi had 21 and 18 flooding days in 2019, and in 2000 those locations would typically only experience about one and three days, respectively.

"As a Chesapeake Bay resident, I see the flooding first hand and it is getting worse. Records seem to be set every year," said William Sweet, Ph.D., an oceanographer for NOAA’s National Ocean Service and lead author of the report. "Communities are straddled with this growing problem. Fortunately, NOAA’s tide gauge network is keeping a close watch and helping us provide guidance about the disruptive flooding 

• Like 1