• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring 2020 New England Banter & Random Obs

CapturedNature

All he had to say is that he would never kneel, but he respects the right of others to do it if they feel it's the best way to convey their message. My hunch is he had good intentions, but worded it damn poorly...and he obviously can't relate to what black people have gone through for the better part of 2 centuries in this country.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

It was bad on so many levels. People can disagree reasonably about a lot of things but as Americans we should be steadfast in supporting and protecting the rights of others. That obviously isn’t the case among many that let politics or their own ignorance get in the way. 

Just as bad were the comments about his grandparents serving during WWII. They fought honorably along with millions of others to defend this nation. One of those people was my grandfather, who was drafted and served at a time where he was very clearly a second class citizen. He could have been lynched for trying to go into a segregated restaurant and purchase a meal...or looking at a white woman...or being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Yet, he answered the call of his country.

Some people don’t get that when they express these thoughts. A lot of us are still trying to secure the same freedoms as everyone else. In 2020. 

I thank your grandfather for his part in helping me have the freedoms I have today.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2020 at 7:28 AM, Baroclinic Zone said:

Pictures from protest.  It was a peaceful one with several hundred protesters.  Ended when 2 Officers took a knee in solidarity.  I did not hear of any arrests, violence, or looting.

https://www.tauntongazette.com/photogallery/WL/20200605/NEWS/605009997/PH/1

• Like 1

MT trip?

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Missoula MT
1049 AM MDT Mon Jun 15 2020

MTZ007-170000-
/O.NEW.KMSO.WS.A.0007.200617T0000Z-200617T1800Z/
Butte/Blackfoot Region-

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY EVENING THROUGH
WEDNESDAY MORNING...

* WHAT...Heavy wet snow possible. For elevations 5000 feet and
  higher: total snow accumulations of up to 8 inches possible.
  Locally higher amounts of 12 to 15 inches possible in the
  highest terrain (above roughly 6500 feet).

* WHERE...Butte, Georgetown Lake, Highway 12 Garrison to
  Elliston, Homestake Pass, and MacDonald Pass.

* WHEN...From Tuesday evening through Wednesday morning.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult. Backcountry
  conditions could become difficult, if not dangerous, during this
  time.

2 hours ago, eyewall said:

MT trip?

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Missoula MT

MTZ007-170000-
/O.NEW.KMSO.WS.A.0007.200617T0000Z-200617T1800Z/
Butte/Blackfoot Region-

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY EVENING THROUGH
WEDNESDAY MORNING...

* WHAT...Heavy wet snow possible. For elevations 5000 feet and
  higher: total snow accumulations of up to 8 inches possible.
  Locally higher amounts of 12 to 15 inches possible in the
  highest terrain (above roughly 6500 feet).

* WHERE...Butte, Georgetown Lake, Highway 12 Garrison to
  Elliston, Homestake Pass, and MacDonald Pass.

* WHEN...From Tuesday evening through Wednesday morning.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult. Backcountry
  conditions could become difficult, if not dangerous, during this
  time.

5,000 feet is pretty low for a snow level at the summer solstice.... good luck to hikers and campers.  That's when your 3-day backpacking trip gets a bit more interesting with a foot of snow.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2020 at 2:26 PM, Ginx snewx said:

Shingles? That's what you get the second time

shingles sounds like fun....i've heard it often starts with a strange sensatiion... as like an  itch underneath your skin...you have tingling itch/sensation develop BEFORE you have any visible skin issues ..people will have like an irritable area and to their surprise there is nothing visible the first couple days of these weird tingling sensations "beneath the skin" .as it begins in the nerves under the skin...then it comes to the surface a few days later.   Some Folks this can be debilitating and last for weeks and have some symptoms for over a month ....some people can have it much milder. Sounds disturbing and usually effects one side of the body....depending on where this is leg/back/ass/face.. could be a nightmare 

12 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Has anyone ever seen a storm produce this much lightning?   What would make a storm produce this amount?  Amazing video.

Nine years ago while we were visiting family in DEC, a storm like that passed 6-8 miles to our south.  At least 100 strikes/minute and the thunder was like a drum roll - could rarely distinguish individual booms.  Far beyond anything in my 99.9% Northeast experience, and next day even the locals were still in awe.

4 hours ago, tamarack said:

Nine years ago while we were visiting family in DEC, a storm like that passed 6-8 miles to our south.  At least 100 strikes/minute and the thunder was like a drum roll - could rarely distinguish individual booms.  Far beyond anything in my 99.9% Northeast experience, and next day even the locals were still in awe.

I may have told this story on the board a few years back but thunderstorms with lots of lightning brought back this memory.  I'm 63.  When I grew up in Baltimore in the 1960's and eary 70's there was no weather radar.  Other than hourly obs it was very hard to tell where thunderstorms were.  Most phone calls were long distance so a phone call of 50 miles was long distance and charged to your phone.  Transistor radios were very popular and on the AM dial 530 was a great place to listen for the distinct static that lightning produced.  So I would listen intently in the afternoons to the frequency and how loud the static were and if they were getting louder or softer. That gave me a crude way of forecasting storms although I never knew exactly where they were.  I kept a chart and called them "SPM's"   statics per minute.  

Okay,  too much weenie info but I was "that weird kid" when it came to getting excited about severe or unusual weather