Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring 2020 New England Banter & Random Obs

CapturedNature

21 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

As long as we're using the BDL/Hartford thread....coldest monthly max temps for April

2020 67F

1940 69F

1926 69F

1975 70F

1924 70F

1920 70F

In addition to BDL, record low monthly max temps set for BOS and ORH and probably others too after today.

BOS 2020 record: 62 degrees smashing the old record of 66 degrees (1989,1946,1888 and 1873)

ORH 2020 record: 63 degrees. Old record was 65 (1966 and 1924)

Pretty amazing when you think about it in this current climate we live in and the fact that January had warmer days. Lots of well timed clouds and rain helped this but still

What a time to be on a stay-at home order lol

4 hours ago, The 4 Seasons said:

LGA just gusted to 52! No advisory under NY either.

We were under an ADV but they let it expire. The wind got crazy with the squall that passed through, but other than that it was a good decision to let it expire. Winds really calmed down after that main squall. 

On 5/3/2020 at 9:14 AM, dendrite said:

Yay life.

But my family is a bunch of mass murdering semiautomatic weapons. :(

Definitely oxymoronic. But at the same time aren't both those values examples of the right/far right? I.e. pro-life/anti-aborotion and strong 2nd ammendment values/right to bear arms.

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 7:24 AM, dendrite said:

White throated sparrow?

"Old Sam Peabody" (Sometimes more than one "Peabody")

Good streaming movie. The green movement is pissed at Moore. Ironic

Have not seen it (haven't entered the streaming world) but read a very critical review - on a forestry and forest products site, not an environmentalist one.  The review took Moore to task for basing his economic critique of wind and solar on old technology, ignoring for instance that solar had become far more efficient and less costly since the examples he used. (From 2008 IIRC)  Another point in the review is that Moore assumed no environmentalists considered the costs (dollars and carbon) of making/building wind turbines and solar panels when they (the enviros) pushed for more use.  There were many other examples of that that reviewer considered as bad journalism - made it seem like Moore had made up his mind on these issues and then scratched around trying to find supportive examples without considering whether they were valid examples.  

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 12:32 AM, The 4 Seasons said:

Definitely oxymoronic. But at the same time aren't both those values examples of the right/far right? I.e. pro-life/anti-aborotion and strong 2nd ammendment values/right to bear arms.

Stereotypes usually reflect at least a modicum of reality.  The problem is that many folks then think the stereotype is the only reality, ignoring the wide diversity of philosophy among the above groups.   Same is true when considering those advocating stricter gun control and pro-choice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Had a pair of pileated woodpeckers yesterday out back in the woods. Unfortunately all I could get is a couple blurry Ginxy cell phone pics of one of them....still pretty cool though. Love those birds.

Pileated1.png

Pileated2.png

You remember Mattmfer? Guess he hit the big time as a Dem pollster

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Had a pair of pileated woodpeckers yesterday out back in the woods. Unfortunately all I could get is a couple blurry Ginxy cell phone pics of one of them....still pretty cool though. Love those birds.

Pileated1.png

Pileated2.png

I still get a kick out the Ginx blurry cell phone pics references.  As soon as I opened this thread and saw these pics it was the first thing I thought of.:lol: