Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
COVID-19 Talk

mappy

Just now, DCTeacherman said:

Either way I don’t see the need to rush the decision.  In a month they’ll have more information to make a more informed decision. 

Sure, I get that. But I had hopes that schools were already planning for kids not to go back this academic year. and this sounds like they haven't been and they are only extending it to give themselves more time to plan. 

poorly planned is the gist of it.

Just now, mappy said:

Sure, I get that. But I had hopes that schools were already planning for kids not to go back this academic year. and this sounds like they haven't been and they are only extending it to give themselves more time to plan. 

I get that, but no one knows what the summer/fall will look like so it’s hard to plan.  You can’t say we’re definitely going back on X date and it’ll be back to normal.  Need to just wait and see how things play out. 

2 minutes ago, mappy said:

Surprised it's only to the 15th.  If they decide its all good after that then go back for about 3 weeks. Doesnt make much sense to me.

1 hour ago, leesburg 04 said:

Sweden is doing the herd mentality thing. Population 10 million 13,000 confirmed cases 1,400 deaths so a 10% death rate so far. US population roughly 330 million I'll let you do the math if we went herd. I'm just as ready as anyone to get back at it but I'm not sure this would have been the right way. I apologize in C.A.P.E already posted lol

That death rate calculation is about as worthless as tits on a boar - Sweden has one of the lowest testing rates in the world

• Like 1

For those who have not figured this out yet, Phin is a classic contrarian troll. He is also a pompous, condescending ass. Yet he is easily triggered, and will take his ball and go home after quickly tiring of playing nice in the sandbox with the "shitheads", only to return again. An interesting pathological study.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

For those who have not figured this out yet, Phin is a classic contrarian troll. He is also a pompous, condescending ass. Yet he is easily triggered, and will take his ball and go home after quickly tiring of playing nice in the sandbox with the "shitheads", only to return again. An interesting pathological study.

Sounds like he's very qualified to run for President

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

I saw NY deaths spiked another 400 this afternoon, was that another dump of probable deaths?

I’m not entirely sure. Likely though. I’m glad they are being included now - one of the issues was the death data was harder to track as more people either chose or happened to die at home. Terrible situation in NY.

waiting for the PA numbers. They had a very large increase in cases but who knows if it’s just lagged tests. Deaths will be more important to see.

15 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

I’m not entirely sure. Likely though. I’m glad they are being included now - one of the issues was the death data was harder to track as more people either chose or happened to die at home. Terrible situation in NY.

waiting for the PA numbers. They had a very large increase in cases but who knows if it’s just lagged tests. Deaths will be more important to see.

I was gonna day today is finally a day where we’re not adding 30,000 cases but then I realized worldometer hasn’t added NY cases yet. 

4 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Those Jacksonville beach pictures will be in history books.

Apparently they are open for walking, swimming, jogging, etc., but no group activities and social distancing must be practiced.

What is allowed:

Walking and running

Biking

Fishing

Dog walking, which is allowed during all hours the beaches are open

Swimming

Surfing

Participating in recreational activities consistent with social guidelines

What is prohibited:

Sunbathing

Towels and blankets

Chairs

Coolers

Grills

Loitering on the beach without moving

Congregating in groups larger than 10 people

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mappy said:

i have no idea, but i'm not a huge fan of it. sure a lot can change in a month, but enough that the state is comfortable sending kids back to school? no way... its probably a grace period to give them time how to handle the end of the year, grades, graduation etc. 

Thanks for all your updates on all this, I really appreciate it (as I'm sure others do too).  Yeah, I think they're pushing the date incrementally to come up with whatever kind of plan on how to handle the end of the school year.  Whether that's the best or not, I don't know...I kind of fully expect there won't be school the remainder of this year.  What's interesting is I've heard some places had closed schools for the remainder of this year some time ago with no hesitation.  Friend of mine in Atlanta told me back in March that they did just that, and at the time it surprised me (at that time, I think MD had set the closure date through March 27).  At any rate, I don't mind the caution and not going back this academic year...though I have to imagine for seniors graduating this year with likely no ceremony, it will suck (high school, but also colleges and universities).  Can't imagine they'll hold back diplomas.  But I do wonder how anyone taking things like AP exams, SAT, etc. will work that out.  Guess that will be up to the testing agencies, as that's done nation-wide.  I've heard they may allow it to be done remotely at home, somehow.

8 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

But I do wonder how anyone taking things like AP exams, SAT, etc. will work that out.  Guess that will be up to the testing agencies, as that's done nation-wide.  I've heard they may allow it to be done remotely at home, somehow.

I'd imagine colleges are gonna let the requirements for those tests go (some colleges may have already decided to do that)

• Like 1

• mappy locked this topic
  • mappy unlocked this topic
  • WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic