Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
COVID-19 Talk

mappy

Just now, supernovasky said:

My mom has literally sent me Facebook videos about how the best way to combat coronavirus is to go outside and spend time with people to build your immune system.

gods, this isn't chicken pox. you cant be sure you can just ride it out at home. sigh

Just now, WxUSAF said:

The “we are overreacting” crowd is just crazy. We’re on an easy path to at least 60K deaths. Sixty thousand! Probably more at this rate. Twenty 9/11s. 

LOL aren’t you a scientist at NASA? The “daily 9/11s!” stuff is total crap, especially since deaths in other categories are way down since we all locked ourselves in. 

12 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I talked about that last night. That is expected because we have no herd immunity or treatment. The graph would dive just as fast on the other side as the virus runs out of easy victims. We are getting a years worth of flu deaths compressed into 3 months, but the area under the curve would end up the same over time. Just my opinion anyway. 

Well I think that is the point. It is a novel virus, so we don't have either, yet the silly comparisons to car crashes and people dying in their pools continues by folks that "should" know better.

• Like 1

Just now, PhineasC said:

LOL aren’t you a scientist at NASA? The “daily 9/11s!” stuff is total crap, especially since deaths in other categories are way down since we all locked ourselves in. 

Going to break my rule and have to ask for a source on this. I've seen information that deaths from other causes are up right now, like heart disease and cancer (the next two leading killers) due to delays in treatment.

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

If they are under the age of 50 their risk is still pretty low, even if obese. People will need to be given the right to choose if they want to huddle in fear of the virus at home or resume some aspects of normal life knowing the risks. You make that call every day when you get in your car. 

Oh please dude. This virus is killing healthy people under 50 and giving permanent lung damage to many who recover. At much higher rates than flu, etc. 

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

Except it’s basically 2-3K COVID deaths per day? 9/11 was 3K. 

Stats on other deaths being way down?

2 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Well I think that is the point. It is a novel virus, so we don't have either, yet the silly comparisons to car crashes and people dying in their pools continues by folks that "should" know better.

I think understanding overall risk by cohort is important. The risk to a healthy 20 year old is enormously lower than the risk to a fat 70 year old who already needed daily oxygen. It’s deceptive and dishonest to insinuate they have the same risk, but I see people try to do it all the time to stoke fear. 

Just now, WxUSAF said:

Oh please dude. This virus is killing healthy people under 50 and giving permanent lung damage to many who recover. At much higher rates than flu, etc. 

Oh man with the permanent lung damage... the virus hasn’t been around long enough for us to run a real study on this and that should be apparent to anyone who can look at a calendar. Plus, regular pneumonia can already do this and we all don’t worry about it. Sorry I dared to question the narrative you had in your head about this virus being a deadly global killer of unprecedented proportions. Just ignore me and continue sheltering in your bunker. 

Just now, WxUSAF said:

Once I saw middle aged people dying of it and even younger,  weeks ago it got my attention real quick and realized it was something much more than "just the flu". How many middle aged people that are generally healthy do you see die from the flu? I dont know anyone.

Before we declare that people under 50 that recover are all fine and dandy, have there been studies done to check on these people to see if they have or will have any long term effects from this?  

when stats say that people who get it and recover come back fully then I’ll say the risk of getting it is worth it. Until then when medical people say it will eff you up regardless of age I prefer to keep recommendations in place and not get it

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

Oh man with the permanent lung damage... the virus hasn’t been around long enough for us to run a real study on this and that should be apparent to anyone who can look at a calendar. Plus, regular pneumonia can already do this and we all don’t worry about it. Sorry I dared to question the narrative you had in your head about this virus being a deadly global killer of unprecedented proportions. Just ignore me and continue sheltering in your bunker. 

Kill granny to save the stocks!

Just now, PhineasC said:

I think understanding overall risk by cohort is important. The risk to a healthy 20 year old is enormously lower than the risk to a fat 70 year old who already needed daily oxygen. It’s deceptive and dishonest to insinuate they have the same risk, but I see people try to do it all the time to stoke fear. 

I don't see it. A lot of people are misinformed because their primary source of "factual" information is what they read on Facebook and Twitter. I have little use for social media. The data is pretty clear that young, healthy adults are at a low risk of dying from this, or even getting seriously ill.

1 minute ago, Chris78 said:

Once I saw middle aged people dying of it and even younger,  weeks ago it got my attention real quick and realized it was something much more than "just the flu". How many middle aged people that are generally healthy do you see die from the flu? I dont know anyone.

OMG

The flu kills middle aged people all the time. There is a good chance the flu is deadlier to those under 20 than this virus. The fact that the media has time to focus a story on every 30 year old who dies tells you how rare it is. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I don't see it. A lot of people are misinformed because their primary source of "factual" information is what they read on Facebook and Twitter. I have little use for social media. The data is pretty clear that young, healthy adults are at a low risk of dying from this, or even getting seriously ill.

It’s literally happening right on this page. Don’t worry, I understand the agenda and environment here. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

In one breath you’re saying we don’t know enough to make actionable decisions and in the other we also know enough to open everything up and let nature take its course. 

4 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

In one breath you’re saying we don’t know enough to make actionable decisions and in the other we also know enough to open everything up and let nature take its course. 

That’s what happens in a case like this. We all need to make decisions based on the available data and we all apply our biases to it. You clearly are far more personally terrified of this virus than I am, which is fine. But we need to get to a point where you can choose to stay home spritzing the house with bleach and I can choose to go out to work. 

15 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

How do we know for sure about after effects of the virus?

Just now, PhineasC said:

That’s what happens in a case like this. We all need to make decisions based on the available data and we all apply our biases too it. You clearly are far more personally terrified of this virus than I am, which is fine. But we need to get to a point where you can choose to stay home spritzing the house with bleach and I can choose to go out to work. 

Unless you move to a state with a very irresistible governor it’s not going to be like that.  This virus is fundamentally different than the flu.

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

That’s what happens in a case like this. We all need to make decisions based on the available data and we all apply our biases to it. You clearly are far more personally terrified of this virus than I am, which is fine. But we need to get to a point where you can choose to stay home spritzing the house with bleach and I can choose to go out to work. 

are you unable to work now? 

Just now, PhineasC said:

LOL at you of all people thinking I would answer any personal questions. 

well you made the argument that wxusaf is a scared guy and you just want to go to work. the reasonable follow up is if you haven't been working since this started.

and which point, i would understand the need to get back to the office. but, if you have been working, then i'm not sure your reason makes any sense. wasnt trying to get into the personal weeds with you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• mappy locked this topic
  • mappy unlocked this topic
  • WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic