Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
COVID-19 Talk

mappy

13 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

I think on a weather forum we can take an educated guess.  Right now average highs are in the 90s in the most populous parts of India.  I have yet to see an area where temperatures are in the 80 plus range have any significant issues with the virus.  I’m not saying you can’t get the virus when it is hot out.  I’m just saying name a place where it is hot over the last couple months that is having a huge issue with Covid.  

Florida and New Orleans?? Ecuador apparently.

23 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

NYC is fine!!! Wow!  I am from ny originally and most of my family lives there.  I have two friends who are doctors in the area and everything they are all telling me is NOT fine.  People are dying by the truckload.  They have had the equivalent of more than 4 9/11’s.

New York 226,198   16,106

226,198 cases and 16,106 deaths

Bodies are being stored in refrigerated  trucks because there isn't any where to store them. Only 500k tests have been given out. Gov  Cuomo wants millions of tests in this city. Our restrictions are now until May 15 and the mayor said don't expect anything to happen this summer.

The deaths have been going down but it is still in the 600+ range.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

What's not real ? The hospitals were out of control when this virus was spreading like wildfire late March early April here in NYC.

The hospital are still swamped but not like jos they were.   We are still in bad shape up here.

The hospital ship is mostly empty. How about the temp hospital they set up?

1 minute ago, MJO812 said:
New York 226,198   16,106

226,198 cases and 16,106 deaths

Bodies are being stored in refrigerated  trucks because there isn't any where to store them. Only 500k tests have been given out. Gov  Cuomo wants millions of tests in this city. Our restrictions are now until May 15 and the mayor said don't expect anything to happen this summer.

The deaths have been going down but it is still in the 600+ range.

Thanks, but we aren’t going to take this thread off track and discuss NYC specifics in detail. 

31 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

lol what? COVID is surpassing cancer and heart disease in a month WITH unprecedented social measures taking place. No, you can’t shut everything down forever, but accepting mass casualty rates because it’s expensive to avoid them is...not the answer.

Let's check the math in 12 months. If COVID is taking a flu season and compressing it into 2-3 months this will end up looking way different in a year.

1 minute ago, supernovasky said:

Stuff like this is what has me questioning Phineas' claims of "everything is fine the death rate is probably just like Swine flu"

Until we test everyone no body can say what it is, or isn’t like. You guys gotta stop getting into the weeds over things none of us have specific answers for

7 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

In order to drop the death rate into swine flu category (0.2%), that would mean that right now 8,053,000 New Yorkers have had the virus.

(16,106/0.002).

That... seems extraordinarily unlikely.

You are still using bad math. Like any disease, swine flu had hotspots. You are taking national IFR numbers and then applying them to a single city. 

Just now, DCTeacherman said:

Seems very relevant to covid in this region, they’re right up 95 from us and a few weeks ahead of us in terms of timing. 

Trust me, metfan will take this thread completely off track if we let him. 

54 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

OK, feel free to buck American history and public perception to wish for the utopia solution. That's fine. I will stay here in reality land that every governor has a plan to reopen now without large scale serological testing in place...

Lol if that was everyone’s attitude African Americans would still be property, women couldn’t vote, gays couldn’t marry, and 12 year olds would be working full time jobs not in school!  Yep...that’s just the way it is...until people decide we can be better than that and then it isn’t  

You are probably just trolling now but that attitude is sad and has been used to justify a lot of bad policy over the years. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

pssst... they are empty because of administrative issues, a wholly separate deal to the severity of the situation.

"On top of its strict rules preventing people infected with the virus from coming on board, the Navy is also refusing to treat a host of other conditions. Guidelines disseminated to hospitals included a list of 49 medical conditions that would exclude a patient from admittance to the ship.

Ambulances cannot take patients directly to the Comfort; they must first deliver patients to a city hospital for a lengthy evaluation — including a test for the virus — and then pick them up again for transport to the ship."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/02/nyregion/ny-coronavirus-usns-comfort.html

From the same article:

"Across the city, hospitals are overrun. Patients have died in hallways before they could even be hooked up to one of the few available ventilators in New York. Doctors and nurses, who have had to use the same protective gear again and again, are getting sick. So many people are dying that the city is running low on body bags."

Gotta actually read the article, not just the headlines. 

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Lol if that was everyone’s attitude African Americans would still be property, women couldn’t vote, gays couldn’t marry, and 12 year olds would we working full time jobs not in school!  Yep...that’s just the way it is...until people decide we can be better than that and then it isn’t  

You are probably just trolling now but that attitude is sad and has been used to justify a lot of bad policy over the years. 

Well said. I have to bite my tongue not to get involved in the conversation. I just cant believe what I'm reading and how some people have absolutely no empathy and compassion for others. There's just no way to keep politics out of this and that's why I've refrained from responding to some of these absurd posts.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

The hospital ships are designed for trauma injuries in battle.  They aren't designed intrinsically for clinical cases such a COVID et al.  It's true they can be used for offloading some of the daily hospital burden on a city like LA or NYC, but utilizing these ships presents layers of logistical challenges such as ferrying patients, extra patient tracking between the civilian and military sector.  

Just now, Eskimo Joe said:

The hospital ships are designed for trauma injuries in battle.  They aren't designed intrinsically for clinical cases such a COVID et al.  It's true they can be used for offloading some of the daily hospital burden on a city like LA or NYC, but utilizing these ships presents layers of logistical challenges such as ferrying patients, extra patient tracking between the civilian and military sector.  

Weren’t they for normal day to day hospital visits? Not for covid patients I thought 

• mappy locked this topic
  • mappy unlocked this topic
  • WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic