Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
COVID-19 Talk

mappy

Just now, WxUSAF said:

But Dr. Phin says once we cull the herd and all get herd immunity, we're all good!

Yeah.

I am as anxious as anyone to get back to some semblance of normalcy, but it will only happen over time, will require efficient and widely available testing, and continued protective measures- social distancing and especially in workplaces- required PPE.

Fox news giving airtime to these quacks to try and "counter" the true experts like Fauci is absurd, counterproductive, but totally expected.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Yeah.

I am as anxious as anyone to get back to some semblance of normalcy, but it will only happen over time, will require efficient and widely available testing, and continued protective measures- social distancing and especially in workplaces- required PPE.

Fox news giving airtime to these quacks to try and "counter" the true experts like Fauci is absurd, counterproductive, but totally expected.

Just now, H2O said:

Dr. Phil gave us Bhad Bhabie.  The hell if he is still some sort of medical expert.

Dr. PHIN

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, 40westwx said:

Without Protective Measures is by far the more palatable approach if you can accurately predict what is going to happen (and you have the balls to go that way).  The problem IMHO was lack of sound leadership and experience in the scientific communities.  I am fairly certain that #flattenthecurve was propagated by young inexperienced pHD types that didnt have the practical experience.

Its like when the Euro shows a mega HECs 10 days from now and @usedtobe comes in tells us why it isnt gonna happen that way. :)

Dr. Fauci was saying to flatten the curve and I'm pretty sure he's not a "young unexperienced PhD type".

52 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Yikes. From the Wall Street Journal...

“In the 24 hours ending at 8 p.m. Eastern time Thursday, 4,591 people were reported to have died from Covid-19, according to a Wall Street Journal analysis of data from Johns Hopkins University. The prior record was 2,569 on Wednesday.

It sounds insensitive to say it, but hopefully the daily death count peaks quickly so we can definitely say we are on the other side of the curve.

CDC issued additional guidelines (Wednesday, I think) that now allows counts for probably cases and deaths to be counted towards the total.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/us-data/

Worldometer has already started including them, but as far as I could tell last night Johns Hopkins was not including them. 

WoM had 677K cases 34K deaths last night, JH had 670K and 33K deaths

the other night when I looked, there was a good 2K difference between the two in death counts for Wednesday. 

This inconsistency between the two and what numbers they show vs what they don't, bothers the piss out of me. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Yeah.

The measures put into place appear to be working for  flattening the curve but as expected now we have the "why the hell did we do the lock down it wasnt that bad" group if people. I think sometimes the goverment has to protect people from themselves.

4 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

The measures put into place appear to be working for  flattening the curve but as expected now we have the "why the hell did we do the lock down it wasnt that bad" group if people. I think sometimes the goverment has to protect people from themselves.

We're about to enter the "we overreacted" phase from the political talking heads that always talk out their a$$.  

Just now, C.A.P.E. said:

Already happening.

We live in such a feckless society in this country.  We've had a few weeks of shifts in how we operate and people are losing their minds.  There haven't been runs on banks, we aren't out of food, water or electricity and society hasn't collapsed.  We're being asked to be nice to the vulnerable parts of our community and yet people acting like they're in a communist block country.  Just look at what's going on in Michigan and Ohio.  Folks think this is bad, imagine what a virus or bacteria with a mortality rate of something like 10% to 15% would be like.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

We live in such a feckless society in this country.  We've had a few weeks of shifts in how we operate and people are losing their minds.  There haven't been runs on banks, we aren't out of food, water or electricity and society hasn't collapsed.  We're being asked to be nice to the vulnerable parts of our community and yet people acting like they're in a communist block country.  Just look at what's going on in Michigan and Ohio.  Folks think this is bad, imagine what a virus or bacteria with a mortality rate of something like 10% to 15% would be like.

Generally agree.

As for those "protests", they are nothing more than a staged shiit show by one very specific group.

20 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Dr. Fauci was saying to flatten the curve and I'm pretty sure he's not a "young unexperienced PhD type".

Both Fauci and Birx were on the selective quarantine side.. focus on the elderly population.. and let the young spread the disease.. I remember a few weeks ago Birx saying that we have enough "Ground Truth" to know that the models are completely inaccurate.  That we more or less know that this virus will behave like any other Season Upper Respiratory illness (albeit having a more aggressive kill rate) and would natural extinguish itself once herd immunity is reached.. then.. 

couple of thousand people died in NYC and they knew that they needed to change their approach or they would have blood on their hands

China is the perfect example of what you get when allow the natural immune process to take its course. 

image.thumb.png.11064cad57837e5982845f4e56a93250.png

You could probably overlay USA graph and see almost a perfect fit to this: 

Where China = Without Protective Measure

USA - With Protective Measures

image.thumb.png.028240cd57b2a8db89a153c6eab921e8.png

26 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Thank god these people weren’t in charge during WW2.  Is there any chance these people would’ve gone to fight? Methinks not. 

17 minutes ago, mappy said:

sigh. thats a damn shame.

I expect more of it. I'm checking out of this discussion on "but how bad is it really?" because people seem really convinced of their own arguments. Unfortunately we live in a time where everyone seems to make their own science, and if people can find any reason they can believe as to why "this isn't that bad", the next logical step is to engage in this kind of stuff and protesting to "force that lying government to let me get on with my life/go to the beach/crowd shopping centers/pass communion in church/go back to school".

For better or for worse it's how we operate I think. Very little planning, very much "what is good for me right now?"

1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

For those who still insist on downplaying COVID by comparing it to everything from car accidents to swimming pool deaths, including quacks/tv docs like Dr Phil and Oz, this graph is pretty telling.

graph.thumb.jpg.451ae6b1c3c78e12353e874427ceca94.jpg

https://www.thenewatlantis.com/publications/not-like-the-flu-not-like-car-crashes-not-like

I talked about that last night. That is expected because we have no herd immunity or treatment. The graph would dive just as fast on the other side as the virus runs out of easy victims. We are getting a years worth of flu deaths compressed into 3 months, but the area under the curve would end up the same over time. Just my opinion anyway. 

5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I talked about that last night. That is expected because we have no herd immunity or treatment. The graph would dive just as fast on the other side as the virus runs out of easy victims. We are getting a years worth of flu deaths compressed into 3 months, but the area under the curve would end up the same over time. Just my opinion anyway. 

Area under the curve is the integral, which would be deaths multiplied by time.  I’m not sure those areas would be equal if let covid go unchecked.  I think covid area would be larger. 

9 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

There are millions of “easy victims” in our country alone. 

9 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

I expect more of it. I'm checking out of this discussion on "but how bad is it really?" because people seem really convinced of their own arguments. Unfortunately we live in a time where everyone seems to make their own science, and if people can find any reason they can believe as to why "this isn't that bad", the next logical step is to engage in this kind of stuff and protesting to "force that lying government to let me get on with my life/go to the beach/crowd shopping centers/pass communion in church/go back to school".

For better or for worse it's how we operate I think. Very little planning, very much "what is good for me right now?"

Ive seen it on facebook from some. one post yesterday went on about Government has us where they want us, under their full control. listing all the freedoms they may never get back. 

i couldn't roll my eyes hard enough

• Like 2

Just now, mappy said:

Ive seen it on facebook from some. one post yesterday went on about Government has us where they want us, under their full control. listing all the freedoms they may never get back. 

i couldn't roll my eyes hard enough

My mom has literally sent me Facebook videos about how the best way to combat coronavirus is to go outside and spend time with people to build your immune system.

• Sad 1

Just now, WxUSAF said:

There are millions of “easy victims” in our country alone. 

If they are under the age of 50 their risk is still pretty low, even if obese. People will need to be given the right to choose if they want to huddle in fear of the virus at home or resume some aspects of normal life knowing the risks. You make that call every day when you get in your car. 

• mappy locked this topic
  • mappy unlocked this topic
  • WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic