Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April 2020 Discussion

madwx

On 4/9/2020 at 12:55 PM, madwx said:

been a couple flurry storms so far, 40 mph + gusty winds precede each one and blow the neighbors lawn furniture around a bit.  strongest one of the day about to hit here

Hit just as I was trying to pick up my online order from Hy-Vee on Whitney. When I unlatched my trunk the wind immediately flipped the lid all the way up. Poor clerk had to stand out in it. Then I had to unload and wrestle the cart through the door of my apartment building in that wind.

5 hours ago, Baum said:

Today's Lesson, and perhaps the next week or so:“April is the cruelest month, breeding. lilacs out of the dead land, mixing. memory and desire, stirring. dull roots with spring rain.”

Gale in April

by Robinson Jeffers

Intense and terrible beauty, how has our race with the frail naked nerves,
So little a craft swum down from its far launching?
Why now, only because the northwest blows and the headed grass billows,
Great seas jagging the west and on the granite
Blanching, the vessel is brimmed, this dancing play of the world is too much passion.
A gale in April so overfilling the spirit,
Though his ribs were thick as the earth's, arches of mountain, how shall one dare to live,
Though his blood were like the earth's rivers and his flesh iron,
How shall one dare to live? One is born strong, how do the weak endure it?
The strong lean upon death as on a rock,
After eighty years there is shelter and the naked nerves shall be covered with deep quietness,
O beauty of things go on, go on, O torture
Of intense joy I have lasted out my time. I have thanked God and finished,
Roots of millennial trees fold me in the darkness,
Northwest wind shake their tops, not to the root, not to the root, I have passed
From beauty to the other beauty, peace, the night splendor.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 3:06 PM, Hoosier said:

Missed out on everything so far.

Yea, the most active corridor has run from DVN to Watseka, with the metro having missed out on the goods so far.

Squall currently moving from Lee to LaSalle Co's has had a lot of lightning...even a hail marker with it.

Got clipped by one of the showers and had snowflakes mixing in while the temp was 49F!! By far the warmest temp I've seen with snow falling.

LOT even hinting at the possibility of severe thundersnow (would likely be warned as a snow squall though)

Have seen a few lightning flashes upstream,
and certainly can`t rule out a few strikes down this way as well
this afternoon given the presence of some surface-based
instability and the boundary layer having mixed into and through
the dendritic growth zone. Given the presence of upwards of 50 kts
of flow (even towards 60 kts across our far south) at 600-650 mb,
the concern remains that should any more robust cells manage to
develop and realize the full depth of the mixed layer, that some
gusts could approach 55-60 mph. Indeed, we have seen some sporadic
50-55 mph wind gusts within/near heavier cores early this
afternoon, so something we`ll be keeping an eye on as well this
afternoon.

Had a few very heavy showers of graupel around mid-afternoon.  The shower that hit around 4pm was mostly snow, with a little graupel mixed in.  That one was quite heavy as well, albeit brief.  It's definitely been an entertaining afternoon, and a far cry from yesterday's upper 70s lol.

MLI gusted to 58mph so far, hit 48mph on my home station, 5ft above the ground.

3 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

We had massive flakes March 22nd. Typically winter flakes are smaller when its colder. 

I don't remember huge flakes march 22, but also this is true in a NW flow. But when you get a marginal BL with a cutter you would expect larger flakes. Living in Lansing my whole life I have noticed nearly every time flakes end up being pixie dust.

Just nice to see today even though nothing was sticking for long.

Think I’m going to chase on Easter down here. Thinking of heading out to Montgomery AL and then letting the storms come to me.

I won’t lie, has a chance to be an all-time outbreak down here on Sunday. Don’t like to go overboard with predictions, but good God a mid-level jet of 90 kts with 2000-3500 j/kg of CAPE, SRH from 4-500, LI’s at the surface above -10 for a large stretch, and long curved hodographs. Would not be shocked to see many long track tornadoes across southern AL/MS/GA

2 hours ago, nwohweather said:

Think I’m going to chase on Easter down here. Thinking of heading out to Montgomery AL and then letting the storms come to me.

I won’t lie, has a chance to be an all-time outbreak down here on Sunday. Don’t like to go overboard with predictions, but good God a mid-level jet of 90 kts with 2000-3500 j/kg of CAPE, SRH from 4-500, LI’s at the surface above -10 for a large stretch, and long curved hodographs. Would not be shocked to see many long track tornadoes across southern AL/MS/GA

Yeah it's looking pretty gnarly right now on the models.  Make sure you leave yourself an out to the E if you're going to AL.  It's easy to get cornered as you move NE with storms.  The E/NE part of AL can be like getting trapped in a canyon if your not careful and the roads start to suck. Been there.  Decent soundings back into SC as the evening progresses too so you could be chasing, or be chased lol, all the way home.  Good luck :popcorn: